Discussion For Any Coders: Preferred Programming/Scripting Language?

What is your preffered Programming/Scripting Language?

• C

• C++

• C#

• Java

• Python

• JavaScript

• Other (Please specify!)

Results are only viewable after voting.
No, I am fluent in PHP, Python, HTML5, CSS, C++, and Java ofc, it was just my first that's all<3
By looking at the first 4 languages, I assume you are heading towards web development?

And why everyone has such a random list of known languages? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
By looking at the first 4 languages, I assume you are heading towards web development?

And why everyone has so random list of known languages? :D
That's how the American system works :/. Wanna go into web development? Well, you gotta learn Java, C and C++ first, depending on your state and county anyway

Even more fun: I learned APL as my first language! Then the next semester we switched to assembler. Talk about polar opposites! :D

Even more fun: I learned APL as my first language! Then the next semester we switched to assembler. Talk about polar opposites! :D

APL? Never heard of it, is it general purpose?
And what Assembler did you learn?

And why everyone has such a random list of known languages? :D

Yea it is sort of random when I look it at but I just started with codecademy and learned what interested me then took a few classes at my high school and watched a bunch of tutorials and everything for a few years just because it became my hobby and was fun.

As for web development I'm not too sure, as of now I think I'm going to pursue a medical degree or maybe go into software engineering.

What goes for you?

Yea it is sort of random when I look it at but I just started with codecademy and learned what interested me then took a few classes at my high school and watched a bunch of tutorials and everything for a few years just because it became my hobby and was fun.

As for web development I'm not too sure, as of now I think I'm going to pursue a medical degree or maybe go into software engineering.

What goes for you?

I'm more interested in the lower levels, with Assembly(sometimes) and C, making drivers(haven't made one in months), embedded systems and programming microcontrollers. This rarely pays the bills, but there are such jobs around.

If you go into software engineering, you will be taught more about the process of making software, rather than writing good code. That's what I don't like about it, but it suits people who don't want to be really technical. It's very abstract. With computer engineering, you can't get away without being technical, your code affects the machine directly. Computer science is like the in-between profession. It's neutral.

P. S. : Just ask yourself what do you love to do, pursue your passion. Many people look at what pays the most, and they hate the profession they chose for the rest of their life.

Edit : I just realized I was the only one to vote for C, lol.

I'm more interested in the lower levels, with Assembly(sometimes) and C, making drivers(haven't made one in months), embedded systems and programming microcontrollers. This rarely pays the bills, but there are such jobs around.

If you go into software engineering, you will be taught more about the process of making software, rather than writing good code. That's what I don't like about it, but it suits people who don't want to be really technical. It's very abstract. With computer engineering, you can't get away without being technical, your code affects the machine directly. Computer science is like the in-between profession. It's neutral.

P. S. : Just ask yourself what do you love to do, pursue your passion. Many people look at what pays the most, and they hate the profession they chose for the rest of their life.

Edit : I just realized I was the only one to vote for C, lol.

Yea I completely agree, thank you for the advice!

When I said I wanted to go into the medical field, you probably saw me as wanting to doing it for the money which I understand, but specifically I was thinking of becoming a pediatric radiologist mainly because I've had family members that have needed that kind of help before, and I was given the great opportunity to go meet one and see what the job is like. I noticed they use computers on a day to day basis to examine x-rays (usually with a 3 monitor setup or more) and I have always loved science throughout school, I'm currently a junior in high school and have taken college level science classes such as AP chemistry and biology, and it really is something I enjoy(still questioning physics however never really had the time for it lol).

As for computer science, if I were to pursue it, I think I would be most interested in game development(one of my dream jobs).

I'm still thinking about it a lot though. I am decided on the college I am going to, and will get a few scholarships if I go there, but I'm indecisive on the classes I'm going to take because I'm still figuring out costs and all that.

Considering you pay bills and all that I'm guessing you're in college or been through it, so any early advice would be helpful and appreciated.

Typed this on my phone so sorry for any spelling errors.

Tyler.

Yea I completely agree, thank you for the advice!

When I said I wanted to go into the medical field, you probably saw me as wanting to doing it for the money which I understand, but specifically I was thinking of becoming a pediatric radiologist mainly because I've had family members that have needed that kind of help before, and I was given the great opportunity to go meet one and see what the job is like. I noticed they use computers on a day to day basis to examine x-rays (usually with a 3 monitor setup or more) and I have always loved science throughout school, I'm currently a junior in high school and have taken college level science classes such as AP chemistry and biology, and it really is something I enjoy(still questioning physics however never really had the time for it lol).

As for computer science, if I were to pursue it, I think I would be most interested in game development(one of my dream jobs).

I'm still thinking about it a lot though. I am decided on the college I am going to, and will get a few scholarships if I go there, but I'm indecisive on the classes I'm going to take because I'm still figuring out costs and all that.

Considering you pay bills and all that I'm guessing you're in college or been through it, so any early advice would be helpful and appreciated.

Typed this on my phone so sorry for any spelling errors.

Tyler.
I see. I gave you the advice, because when people hesitate between this and that job, they choose the one that pays more. It depends though, on your field of choice and the country you live in.

On the topic of software development, game developers everywhere are underpaid. Also, if you go for game development, using a game engine will be easy(unless it's unreal engine, it has a huge API), most of the engines have very abstract interfaces and in general it's more practical (less code, more progress), but if you want to be hardcore, OpenGL and Linear algebra knowledge will be needed at the very least. This shows one thing - there are ALWAYS two sides, low-level and high-level development. (Note, this is not an explanation for what high and low-level programming is, it's an explanation of how all fields, be it embedded systems, game development or anything else, have both sides)
Examples :
High-level development would be programming an Arduino, low-level would be getting your hands dirty with AVR or PIC microcontrollers.

High-level would be using a game engine, low-level making your own engine.

etc.

I'd suggest doing game development as a hobby, most of the programmers/engineers I know are hobbyists outside of work. For example, someone may be a web developer by job, but a hobbyist game developer at home. The point is earning money, but also doing what you like outside of work. Two birds with one stone. I hope I made my points clear, I'm not a native speaker and I'm all exhausted on top of that.

In the end, it's up to you what job you'll pursue. Just listen to your heart, ask yourself what job satisfies you and motivates you.

C#, mainly because that's what I use to make games in Unity. My very first programming language was ActionScript, though.

JavaScript and PHP because I build websites at the place I work - they are so much fun to work with too. I also like C++ and VisualBasic.

In my opinion C++ is the easiest way to sctript/code. The only programming language which is almost equally is Python. (2.7.<)

Absolute nonsense. It's an universal truth, first of all, it's not a scripting language. Secondly, it's not easy at all. Layers of templates for compile time code generation? Pointers? Binary compatibility? The need of knowing the ins and outs of every aspect of the language to be able to work with it? Have you missed any of that? And that's only as a start (excluding metaprogramming)

Back