Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Unsatisfied

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Very unsatisfied

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
S

Shamus The Brute

Enough time, I think, has passed for the below question to be ask. (Note: While all perspectives are welcome, this thread was written to gain the perspective of ‘ex-POTCO’ players specifically for purpose of compare and contrast).

QUESTION: Without sharing your opinion about any or all of TLOPO/another remake’s progress, how satisfied are you in having the opportunity to play POTCO again? :confused:

Has playing a remake of POTCO again been everything you have expected? Has it strengthened or weakened your perception of the “memory” you uphold towards your own time playing Disney’s POTCO? Please share your own insights and experiences of how technology (and human skills) have impacted your pirate :piratemickey:evolution in lieu of any remake hoping to recreate the POTCO fun/experience. *Only keep in mind though that this thread serves the GENERAL perspective of replaying POTCO. As such, any attempt to gripe or complain about a specific remake (I would hope) would be looked down upon.

It’s probably time to reflect as a community on not only where we’ve been but also...how satisfied we are in being here, still, as players whom dedicated POTCO (and subsequent remakes) into our time and our lives.

Thank you.

Very satisfied so far. The remake is rapidly becoming a better game than the original. Better loot, more opponents of varying levels to pit your skill against. These are but a few of the things that the devs have introduced to the game while all the while remaking the original and improving upon. Yes there are problems and bugs but these will be worked out in time and as a former POTCO player I am enjoying the game as is bugs and all immensely.

I admit I have been very harsh on them in the past, but only ever out of love and the desire to help them make this as good as we all know it could be. That being said I am very happy with what they've done and the progress they've made. The team has done a wonderful job and I am both proud of them and very grateful for them. There are features missing yet, cannon defense and a few more sailing fixes are the things I am looking forward to most as sailing was always by far my favorite aspect of the game. However, I know these things take time and I'm just happy that I can confidently say that they are working on it and trying their best. Thanks TLOPO dev team!

Thank you for bringing up such a matter, Shamus!

From a personal perspective, I just cannot imagine myself being anything less than grateful for an effort that is ongoing up to this date. I'm happy that I was able to behold that effort ever since it's early days. The road wasn't always straight ahead nor clear and there's no denying that we have had harsh times with a lot of difficulties to solve.

But... I'm happy. Happy that I was able to re-connect with fellow pirates and guild mates that I once thought they were gone forever. That feeling didn't change much over the years. ~ "Hey lads, we are teaming up against Darkhart", "Roger's invading the town. Gather your forces and dispatch those fools quickly", "Storytime lads"... It's the "pirate's life" feeling that does not go away so easily. There are, of course, some individuals that we just couldn't get back to them ever since POTCO's demise which is, sadly to say, but that's a story for another time, I'd assume. :sad1:

I play TLOPO - a remake that was officially announced sometime back in 2015. Three years after - they have matured to a point that they are releasing their own exclusive content on top of the original game every now and then. Bugs and game breaking issues are being worked on intensively and every update is a step closer to the comprehensive restoration of Disney's game. (with a lot more) I'm optimistic about the future and I thank them for showing such a compassion, voluntarily.

Not all flowers are roses and everything becomes clear as we work on it but, nonetheless, I still miss Shamus The Brute:sad1: on the High Seas ruling Mar De Plata waters with their expertise at SVS, even though I'm not as active nowadays as I wanted meself to be.

I have to admit, I am enjoying the remake far more than I enjoyed the original. Understanding this is still a work in process makes it all the more amazing; sure there may be a bug or two but the level of thought that has been put into the development of the community interaction alone is already light years ahead of the original game.

Thanks for all that you do and keep up the hard work!!

Pathos

Has playing a remake of POTCO again been everything you have expected? Has it strengthened or weakened your perception of the “memory” you uphold towards your own time playing Disney’s POTCO? Please share your own insights and experiences of how technology

Back in the days I was very attached to POTCO and I sincerly don't know why; probably because of pirates and all that.

Now when I joined TLOPO back in 2016 I was very happy to see that it was back. I even got myself a beta key back then which allowed me to start early on but ever since I simply can't be bothered to play anymore.

The entire having-to-grind aspect simply killed the game for me and ever since I felt that I simply don't hop onto TLOPO anymore and probably never will anymore.

I'm still glad TLOPO is a thing and I'm pretty sure this project will get further than POTCO used to be so I'm only happy to see what the future will bring. I'm still a lurker on the forums tho and maybe ever in the near future I will hop ingame again.

I'm extremely satisfied and amazed that the game is not only back but that new content, clothing , weapons all exist thanks due to some individuals who dedicate their spare time and knowledge to bring back and enhance a game they themselves once played. When I played POTCO I never dreamed that one day those same people I looted with and spoke to would one day be recreating the game for free for all to play. It's still surreal to me every time I log on.

I really struggle to find the right words to express my appreciation and admiration for the developers and all that they have done. They are all amazing and I am extremely grateful and in awe of them for what they have done and can do!

Thank you all a thousand times over!

Katrina

This game (for me) evokes memories of all my old friends and comrades from POTCO. Luckily some of us have found each other again and it is a thrill to play this game again. I cannot thank these wonderful and dedicated people enough for bringing back, what was a part of my very soul for so long, and I hope it goes on to even better things. Thank you so much for bringing it back and it is even better than before.... Thank you, thank you, thank you... a million times over :D

I am Very satisfied for the most part!! The staff does a great job giving us a game we can play! Ofc there is always room for improvement but what they have achieved so far is amazing...believe me I know. I play a remake of another Disney game & it is virtually unplayable after a few years. The one thing that would really make my day would be a third page for wardrobe because of all the fabulous clothing that has been added!!!! Pretty please guys!!! Thank you to the Team for all you do! :-3<3

Its hard to rate the game as a whole, because there are different portions that have different ratings. I think they did an excellent job recreating the game, as well as the additions follow the POTCO/TLOPO style of game and story. They do an excellent job listening to the community (which was barely possible with Disney because, well, Disney). And have enabled a massive growth in the Pirate lifestyle support. But I have had my fair share of problems. For example, on my main character, the first character I made in TLOPO; I lost my quest for Ravens Cove. I was 80% done with it, and had just killed Kudgel, but then it vanished. When I contacted support they said they would take my name down with others who have experienced this and would let me know of a fix. That was soon to be 9 months ago. After this I just kinda lost steam in playing, because I couldnt use the pirate I cared about most to play the endgame areas (which I never got to do in POTCO).

I've been apart of a few guilds, each with their positives and negatives.
Reds Army (now Reds Revenge) - I was with these folks from the beginning of my time in TLOPO. I helped them grow the guild's numbers, structure the rules, build the discord, induct members and more. We did so well for a while, and I met many close friends because of this. But eventually all good things come to an end. The management of the guild was kinda abandoned and I was left to do the work for some time, unable to do anything without approval from the others who ran the guild. It just made me feel trapped. I hated that I wanted to stay and help, but had no reason to. So I left.

Decay - I spent a very long time in this guild. It was made after other officers left RA/RR we decided to try on our own. We did alright. Nothing too special. Things did slow down for a while and eventually came to a stop. But Im still in contact with most of the people from here, so not too bad.

Odyssey - Im here currently, Im not crazy active because I dont find much fun in grinding quests to just be able to fight in the Shallows. But these folks are very welcoming and I have a few long time friends here.

Overall, the community we've all been able to build here is the best part. Some ruin it, yes. But others make it the best place to be. I know there are many nights where I didnt go to bed until very late because I wanted to hang with these people.

I hope some of the technical things are solved to help me change my mind further. Because I absolutely want to continue playing this game.

Everything about this version of the game is better then the original in my opinion. Sure, the features are slowly being added, and the budget is much smaller than multi-billion-dollar Disney. But to me that adds to it. All this hard work, and perseverance just by a few people who want to make the internet a better place!

The only thing I like less about this version is combat seems so much easier. That might be because Im an old man compared to 2007, I have played many games since then, and this is still a casual family game that still manages to be fun no matter how good at it you are!
(And thats what I love most about it; it's interesting to everyone.)

I was about to put satisfied, but I decided to change my answer to very satisfied, here's why.

1. The Legend of Pirates Online is a fan made recreation of a video game that went from 2008 (as I recall) to 2013.

2. The developers have made such progress and dedicated a lot of time to this game that they can get no funds from. It is a hobby and it's quite incredible how they've brought back a game from the dead on their own time with a relatively small team. It's just ridiculous how some people get mad at them for "not making enough progress" when they aren't getting anything from this at all. We should be grateful for the fact that they have almost (still working but close) brought the game back in full while ALSO taking in community suggestions and adding new content.

3. It's fun! the purpose of a video game is for fun. TLOPO has served this purpose great! They continually add new features to make this game more enjoyable to everyone.

4. The most important reason:
TLOPO has served it's purpose.

Whether you like it or not you have to understand something. Video games are meant for fun. They're a hobby, and not a life. As fun as TLOPO is as a hobby, it isn't a life. TLOPO serves it's purpose as being a fun game to play as a hobby. As a Christian I firmly believe that no worldly thing will ever truly satisfy you. You're always going to want more if all you do is search for more video games or money etc. You have to understand that there are more important things in life (the most important thing to me is my religion/beliefs) I understand that many of you won't like this post, but I have not offended anyone or forced anyone to do anything. I'm simply stating what I know is truth.

Thanks for reading this post. The devs have done a great job.

I'm very happy with it. In the early days I didn't hold much hope that such a remake would ever come to pass and thought that if it did and were available to the public Diseny would step in and shut it down. The game has progressed amazingly and is available to the public for free, what a great achievement! Yes, there's still tons of bugs and yes, there have been plenty of mistakes and yes, some things have been done that I disagree with but overall it's an amazingly good remake that continues to get better and better.

I'm extremely satisfied and amazed that the game is not only back but that new content, clothing , weapons all exist thanks due to some individuals who dedicate their spare time and knowledge to bring back and enhance a game they themselves once played. When I played POTCO I never dreamed that one day those same people I looted with and spoke to would one day be recreating the game for free for all to play. It's still surreal to me every time I log on.

I really struggle to find the right words to express my appreciation and admiration for the developers and all that they have done. They are all amazing and I am extremely grateful and in awe of them for what they have done and can do!

Thank you all a thousand times over!

Katrina
I'm really glad you mentioned the new clothing, that is the one place that this game far outshines potco. I do like the other new content but feel it could have been done better, with a farther reaching overall plan for the future. I also feel that the new content side of the tlopo staff have not been as forthcoming about their aims and plans as they could be, which they certainly don't have to do as this is their baby, which I sense fuels misunderstanding in the community which sometimes cuases unnecessary strife. In the end it's a fantastic remake that far exceeds my expectations.

The remaking of POTCO has brought a community back together, and gives me a chance to relive what was a major game through my childhood. I am grateful for it to have been remade and will always be appreciative of every improvement that is made.

I am honestly happy with how the game has turned out for a fan remake. So many areas I still like going through and just playing the game, always reminds me of my childhood, and although I play many other different games now, I still come back here and load it up because sometimes why not?

The game may show its age, but honestly I really don't care, it's nice to play a game that gives a good feeling of nostalgia.

Always love this game and honestly like the ship combat more than anything, I am sad that Cannon Defense is still not able to be played but I know the developers are working hard. ^^, I do really need to login more often so I can level up my cannon for when Cannon Defense gets fixed though.

Thanks everyone, for your opinion. :piratemickey: It's amazing to me that despite great odds, TLOPO has thus far beat the odds in light of many (extreme) concerns myself and others have held in the past.

A successful remake of POTCO is unique. It's unique because it has set precedence in light of copyright law. TLOPO (as a POTCO remake) is on a very short list of online games which still have "protected" intellectual property (or IP). That IP itself is not just game-induced (as is the case with 'any' remake version of the game Toontown Online). As such, the odds of playing POTCO again were extremely low based on just the IP itself...for just about everyone involved. It's great to see a (community) effort pull through despite the odds.

Community is important because the game itself would be a shell if not for the loyalty and dedication of the remake's player-base. That player base...is the HEART BEAT behind what TLOPO has become, in my opinion. I can honestly say this, as someone not fully convinced that technology itself can solve all of Life's problems (nor should it try to do so).

I hope that makes sense. ;)

Back