Guide  How To : Create A Guildsite!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom O'fury

Notorious Pirate
Guildsites can prove useful in many different ways. You can chat with your guildies, plan events, post videos, forums, and much more... only for your members! This is a step by step guide on how to create a professional looking guildsite using the guild hoster, Shivtr. There are many guild hosters out there. I find this one the easiest to use after trying many. Its easy for those of you with no knowledge of creating a site with their templates. For those of you that want to take it up a notch create an HTML box and get coding!
I'm actually creating the site as we go along so this is a the real deal! :lol1:

First off go to www.shivtr.com Then click create site. You'll want to create an account. So fill out that then contuine on to creating your website. (I already have an account with shivtr so I don't have to have multiple accounts for multiple sites as long as they use shivtr the account you just made allows you to just click apply to guild when logged in. You don't need to have a ton of accounts!)
You may be confused when you first get there...

What's a Domain name?
A Domain name is basically the site adress you want. Like you can see at the top of your page right now. it says. https://piratesforums.co/forums piratesforums is this sites domain name. So for example my website is to be used by guildmasters that are using shivtr for their guilds and they play potco. So my domain name is potcoguildsmasters when I put that in that box it comes out like. http://potcoguildmasters.shivtr.com/

What does it mean site type?
Guild is what you need most likely. Those are just to help people find your website on shivtr. Mine will be placed as a gamer community since its just a help site for potcoguildmasters on shivtr.

Races and Class??
Just leave that to choose your own. You won't need that for a Pirates Website.

After you finished that click create my site! Now you may think thats all there is... but you're wrong this time... Let's contuine on.
I created mine and this is what the front page looks like. It may vary as they randomly select premade themes for your website.
Beginning.jpg

Now that looks nice for now right! Now let's get into the more customizing steps. Look through the titles to find what you want to start with. These are no particular order.

REFER TO THIS PICTURE OF THE SITE ADMIN PANEL FOR QUESTIONS ON WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
Site Admin.jpg
YOU WILL FIND THIS PAGE IN THE RIGHT HAND UPPER SIDE WHERE IT HAS A LINK CALLED SITE ADMIN.

Site Layout
The site layout is pretty much just the way it looks. Right now your boxes are in the regular mode. Which every other just starting site has. Many people are no satified with it and want to make it more unique to their guild. Site Layout will help you do that. Shivtr works off a templated layout. With boxes you can move around the page and website. Its pretty easy to use. It has something that says Left Home Right It then has some boxes underneath it. To move a box up and down just click and drag. To move a box from the left to the right is a little more tricky. For example. If you want to move your Who Online box from left to right. You will need to remove it from the left by clicking the red X. Then go over to the right and click the + button. This allows you to add multiple different blocks. You will want to look for the Who Online box in that list. (In a later post I will explain all the different boxes.) For now we'll just stick with some changes I like to make. Go to your left coloumn and put in a Login Box. That makes it a little better for me to see where to log in and all the options you can do. then click the red X on Guild Activity and Recreuitment. These are kinda pointless. Recruitmement doesn't really apply to Pirates Online. So thats all I'm going to cover with the Site Layout for now.

Themes
Now you want to know how to make it customizied to just your guild right? This is themes. It allows you to create in your own Pirate Feel to your site. This is pretty simple. I'd download GIMP or try out Picnik or any other photo editing program for this task. I use Gimp and Picnik for mine. What ever you like is what you use. Then go back to Site Admin. Then at the top click Themes. You can look through the previsouly created themes or create-your-own. For the purpose of this tutorial I'm going to tell you how to create-your-own.
Click the Craft Your Own link and then You will get a page pop-up. Click anywhere on the screen to edit that area. It will tell you what your changing when you put ur mouse over it. Create themes and pictures using a picture editor and make your site look nice.
Here is what Mine looks like after I finished themeing and Layout.
Untitled.jpg
I'LL BE CREATING A UNIVERSAL POTCO THEME SOON.

Forums
Forums are a great thing to use! Its a great way to talk with your guildies and start planning events and discussing important topics. The button called Admin Forums allows you to re-order and add new Sections and Forums. Threads can be posted by anyone. How you make your forums is totally up to you and your guild!

Roster
Your Roster is where you can veiw everyone that has signed up on your guildsite. You can add in ranks and permissions. (Permissions are a little more advanced and will be in a later post) You can click on someones name and send them a message. Look at their profile and if your an admin, remove them from your site or ban them for a time you set. Your Shivtr account is across all guilds/community/clans you join. So your signatures will show up the same on your guildsite and say.. my community site. You can change your profile picture for each website though.

Events
Events will open up a calender that you can post events and important dates that pertain to your guild. EVERYONE in your guild can see it so be careful what you post.

Media
Media is where you can upload photos/screenshots and videos to share with your mates! just follow the on screen instructions to upload a video or a screenshot.

Activites
Acitvites are whats happening on your site. You can see recent posts and what people are changing. Its create if you want to stay in the loop with everything that goes on. Its helpful for moderators (will be explained in a later post) to watch over your website.

Well thats all for now folks! Sign up on http://potcoguildmasters.shivtr.com/ For some helpful videos/pictures/forums. Send me a message on there if you need any help or help me help others just starting out with Shivtr. You can always use Shivtr's actual employee help too by going to http://getsatisfaction.com/shivtr (Not my favorite.. I prefer to just send them an email at support@shivtr.com Or just leave a post here and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! I've created many websites using shivtr so I hope I can answer your questions..

whats shivtr and nice how to
Shivtr is a guild web hosting website. Meaning its a company that helps you create and maintain a website. These guys are made just for Guilds so theres alot of templates geared directly towards an online guild. Thway way you don't have to look at say... webs for example. Thats more for a business. Shivtr is a create Guild hosting company. :)

I personally prefer spruz(it allows more custom things) or maybe that's because I'm used to it

Shivtr is a guild web hosting website. Meaning its a company that helps you create and maintain a website. These guys are made just for Guilds so theres alot of templates geared directly towards an online guild. Thway way you don't have to look at say... webs for example. Thats more for a business. Shivtr is a create Guild hosting company. :)
Theres also http://www.guildlaunch.com/ who have the option to select POTCO as a game

Yeah, your right, webs is more business, bt its still pretty cool :D I might check shivtr out when i get like 150 members :)

I personally prefer spruz(it allows more custom things) or maybe that's because I'm used to it
Spruz is more for business too. What I like about Shivtr is that they treat you as a guild not a website. Your allowed to link games (not potco) and track ur banks and kill ratios. Your even allowed to have alliances with other guilds using shivtr. So your allies can visit your site as well. It also allows me to close down my site from outside viewers. If you try to get into my site all you will find is my welcome page and you would have to login to see it all. I've also found that spruz and guildlaunch are very costly and are still very slow. With Shivtr you can have all that potco guilds would need for free.

Spruz is more for business too. What I like about Shivtr is that they treat you as a guild not a website. Your allowed to link games (not potco) and track ur banks and kill ratios. Your even allowed to have alliances with other guilds using shivtr. So your allies can visit your site as well. It also allows me to close down my site from outside viewers. If you try to get into my site all you will find is my welcome page and you would have to login to see it all. I've also found that spruz and guildlaunch are very costly and are still very slow. With Shivtr you can have all that potco guilds would need for free.
I prefer spruz,as it lets you enter file manager and edit all the site's icons,also allowing you to customize all site messages

Lol on spruz we get members to donate
I can do the same with Shivtr. Only I don't want to have any of my members pay. Its not worth it.. I would rather just use the free version which is the same as the paid version of Spruz. I've checked it out before. Except the ads. So.. either pay monthly fee... for spruz.. or pay nothing and get the same on Shivtr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back