Idea Ideas To Possibly Make Sailing More Enjoyable

I like to think of myself as one of the better sailors in the game and I do occasionally get jammed up by AI ships and this sometimes leads to sinking. I don't find this annoying at all, I like to take chances and shake up the crew every now and then.
I was only suggesting a no-collide between players, not AI ships.
Player ships are much more frustrating since their movements are more erratic and the way collisions affect you aren't as clear. Sometimes you're able to push a player ship, sometimes a player ship is able to push you. It's the inconsistency and lack of predictability that bothers me.

I was only suggesting a no-collide between players, not AI ships.
Player ships are much more frustrating since their movements are more erratic and the way collisions affect you aren't as clear. Sometimes you're able to push a player ship, sometimes a player ship is able to push you. It's the inconsistency and lack of predictability that bothers me.
Player collisions outside of the mat parties, fleets, and QAR are rare. The only reason they are common in the three instances is because those situations put lots of player ships in close proximity while they are focused on the same targets. Even if you are committed to entering these situations you can still avoid collisions easily if that's important to you. I suggest that it's more fun to embrace the collisions and learn how to deal with them, they are a fun part of the game for me. Player-player collisions are usually just a matter of turning away but occasionally a player will deliberately block another for various reasons, usually because they feel they have been abused. Yesterday I was in multiple collisions with another ship that was also chasing the QAR, this would not normally have bothered me but this particular person was was dragging hunters and sotl into the battle which I ended up accidentally hitting and so by the time the QAR was disabled hunters were also after me. The guy ended up getting boarding rights but couldn't board with sotl after him which really made me mad. He wrecked my chance to get it even though he had no chance before he even got started. One of my crew suggested that I block him until he sank which I didn't do but I did give it serious consideration. After all it's a dog eat dog world out there, lol.

Player collisions outside of the mat parties, fleets, and QAR are rare. The only reason they are common in the three instances is because those situations put lots of player ships in close proximity while they are focused on the same targets. Even if you are committed to entering these situations you can still avoid collisions easily if that's important to you. I suggest that it's more fun to embrace the collisions and learn how to deal with them, they are a fun part of the game for me. Player-player collisions are usually just a matter of turning away but occasionally a player will deliberately block another for various reasons, usually because they feel they have been abused. Yesterday I was in multiple collisions with another ship that was also chasing the QAR, this would not normally have bothered me but this particular person was was dragging hunters and sotl into the battle which I ended up accidentally hitting and so by the time the QAR was disabled hunters were also after me. The guy ended up getting boarding rights but couldn't board with sotl after him which really made me mad. He wrecked my chance to get it even though he had no chance before he even got started. One of my crew suggested that I block him until he sank which I didn't do but I did give it serious consideration. After all it's a dog eat dog world out there, lol.
I actually rely on ship collisions at mat parties to make sharper turns and to get cover from enemy ships!

I like to think of myself as one of the better sailors in the game and I do occasionally get jammed up by AI ships and this sometimes leads to sinking. I don't find this annoying at all, I like to take chances and shake up the crew every now and then. I do also sometimes wrecklessly dive my ship into the center of a mat party while sailing in the opposite direction of the general flow. This sometimes leads to getting jammed up by other players but I don't recall that ever leading to being sunk, I always make a quick escape before that happens. Yesterday I deliberately sailed into a mass of 6 to 8 ships, including a hunter and sotl, this almost got us sunk but was super gratifying when they all went down and we sailed through, the crew was shaken and it was foolish but it was also a gas. No collisions will lead to less skill being required and less fun so I'm against it. I forgot to mention that it is easy to avoid collisions and if you sail conservatively you will not have any.
Yes, Eric does sail right into the hornet's nest at times!

@NathanielPhantomhayes

" if you want realism try crusader kings, let me remind you this is a DISNEY game it's meand for FUN not history class. "

Wow - you really are condescending.

I'll refrain from a response to your patronizing information, just write that non-realism can also be too fantasy like (thus too fantastic) - and make a game too easy to play.

Do what you want I don't mind the game as it is.

Other than that - please don't respond to anything I write in the future. Ignore buttons are luckily invented.

Last edited:
@Anne MacArvy

I like you. Daring and courageous. The funny part is (after the wall breach) that lowering sails and lying dormant until a ship on either side passes your broadsides thus being hit, almost never damages me - because most of them shoot outwards.

So being in the center of the circling ships are far more profitable than following them around in the perimeter.

This started as a suggestion thread and then turned into people low-key insulting each other.

It would not be some huge task to make an ocean chat. The mechanic would work extraordinarily similar to your local chat. I agree that there are bugs to be fixed, and I agree that certain things should hold the developer's attention. That being said new features are always nice, and whatever order the devs decide to go about their developing is their decision. Before they go about adding new chat designations, however, I would love to see a filter option for chat.

I would absolutely love to see a no-collide for pirate ships. The only reason I think this is necessary currently is because of the d-sync between clients. What I think is a perfect-miss on my screen is me pitting you on yours. With that in mind I don't see this ever happening to the game, for any reason.

I don't see the need to fade other pirate ships to be honest. You can shoot right through fellow pirate ships, and even if you can't see the hull of what you are shooting you can likely see the sails. I don't want to find out what kind of performance issues would arise with trying to fade a few ships that I can simply shoot though.

I have a few ideas that may make sailing more enjoyable.

1) Add a Sailing Chat System
This would help with communication at sea so multiple ships who aren't in a guild can communicate. This could allow for better coordination in large ship piles and less frustration if other ships are taking your kills or whatnot. I believe a system like this exists in SVS, where you can communicate with fellow players, but this system would be for local ships.
2) Make Fellow Pirate Ships No Collide
This becomes especially annoying when you're sailing in large groups of ships, like at the abassa mat run pile where bumping into other pirates can lead to your death. (SOTL)
3) Make Fellow Pirate Ships Fade Out When They Get Close
This idea relates to my previous idea. If a pirate ship gets to close, they have the ability to block the gunners' view of enemy ships. Since gunners can still shoot through other pirate ships, it would be ideal for them just to fade out so the gunners don't lose sight of their targets.

Tell me what you think in the comments below.
I think the fading out is pretty immersion breaking, but everything else I agree completely. It would improve the sailing experience so much dude

Back