Important Safety Reminder for All Pirates (07/23/13)

jzfredskins

Wiki Staff
A savvy reminder, mates, on keeping your account safe and private:
  • Never download third-party software that someone promises will give you "rewards" or an advantage in Pirates Online.Don't be fooled – there is no other software you need to download that helps you play or chat in Pirates Online. Downloading such third-party programs can be unsafe due to possible viruses or keyloggers that compromise your Pirates Online account.
  • Never use your username or password on fan sites, online forums, or any applications outside of Pirates Online.Giving out your Pirate's account information to someone, even via social media sites outside of Pirates Online, will more likely result in your Pirate being stolen, a ban, and termination of your account.
  • Never give out your account information or passwords to anyone.
Keep yer account safe under lock and key!

Accounts terminated for hacking or sharing personal information will not be reinstated.
No one wants to lose all the time and effort spent building up a mighty Pirate.

NOTE: Disney GMs will never ask for your personal information in the game.​

blog_07_14.png

In my opinion they are putting all the liability on the user. There are things they can do, simple things, like password change verification where the password can ONLY be changed via email reply, that will help end the account stealing. The developers should do more than just tell people not to give out their information. They have done this before with little or no impact. We have seen pirates who steal accounts continuing to play despite our turning in screen shots and evidence against them.

I agree with Kat that Disney could definitely do more to help us keep our accounts secure. Another thing that they could possibly do that I know a few other games do is track where you log on from, and whenever you attempt to log on to your account from a different location/computer, it asks you a security question. If answered correctly, it will add that location/computer to a list of allowed locations/computers. If answered incorrectly a certain amount of times, they could notify the email of the account owner that someone was trying to log in from an unknown location and suggest that they change their password, or go a further step and lock their account until they change their password. I think if Disney were to implement something like this, we would definitely see less players losing their accounts.

It's pure laziness on Disney's part; they just refuse to get involved in outside matters. They could be doing so much for this game - we throw so much money at them month after month - and yet they do absolutely nothing. Everywhere you look, you see blue names; people that are subscribed to the game. Where is all of our money going to? Obviously not this game - we would've seen something by now. There is absolutely no excuse for them to NOT be doing something - what do they do, use all of our money to buy cheese puffs and soda and lay around the office all day? Seems like a logical scenario if you ask me.

I'm extremely disappointed in Disney's lack of care and responsibility for what goes on in a game that THEY run. I've been playing this game for five years, and I must say I am disheartened by what this game has turned into.

I agree John. Yesterday I was talking with a few of my friends about how us buying Unlimited is basically investing in them, as we assume that they will better the game with our money and enhance our gaming experience while still making a fair amount of profit for themselves. Instead, they are just taking our money and are likely putting it on other projects outside of POTCO and taking some for themselves. This may be working quite well for them now in a business standpoint because I mean they are still making a lot of money without spending much on improving our experience as players, but this will eventually turn on them if they stay on this road because as we can all see, they are losing there players day by day and will eventually not be making much profit at all. This is a horrible way to treat there players as this is a relationship in which they are for the most part putting themselves above their players whereas they should be giving us back what we deserve, which includes ensuring us that our accounts will be safe, as well as many other things a MMO company is responsible for.

One thing I really like that SWTOR does (don't hate on me ;) ) is a one time password sent to your email address when someone logs onto your account on another computer. It seems to be very effective and I think it would reduce hacking because nobody wants to give out their email address info.

Aw :D... They actually do care about us. Or they realize that customers losing accounts is not good for business. Either way I guess it is still nice to inform the general populace of POTCO who are still unaware of the situation unfolding around them. A lot of the more susceptible pirates don't even read news though.

This is a good safety reminder (that most of us know) but hopefully it will save some pirates from losing their acct.

I agree that Disney can do more to keep our accounts safe, but it is OUR RESPONSIBILITY to NOT SHARE our account with anyone.

Sharing your account info is like giving your house key to someone and not expecting to get robbed or damaged.
People can't blame Disney for their accounts being stolen. Don't share.

Aw ... They actually do care about us. Or they realize that customers losing accounts is not good for business. Either way I guess it is still nice to inform the general populace of POTCO who are still unaware of the situation unfolding around them. A lot of the more susceptible pirates don't even read news though.

I was talking about the hackers lol

With accounts recently being hacked due to key-loggers Disney should really put in some extra security. I agree with everything Kat Five Knives John Foulroberts and Chalupa have said. When logging in with another computer there should be a security question. Also the same thing for changing your password.

Also a tip to keep your account safe, don't click links just because they are there.

With accounts recently being hacked due to key-loggers Disney should really put in some extra security. I agree with everything Kat Five Knives John Foulroberts and Chalupa have said. When logging in with another computer there should be a security question. Also the same thing for changing your password.

Also a tip to keep your account safe, don't click links just because they are there.

I definitely agree. There should also be something sent to your email when a pirate is going to be deleted. Meaning that it wont be deleted until you put a confirmation code for deletion.

I definitely agree. There should also be something sent to your email when a pirate is going to be deleted. Meaning that it wont be deleted until you put a confirmation code for deletion.

That isn't even what the hackers are doing, they are just deleting every item you have on your pirates. And it would be a pain for players to put in a code every-time they would want to delete something. Plus the key-logger could detect that being typed.

That isn't even what the hackers are doing, they are just deleting every item you have on your pirates. And it would be a pain for players to put in a code every-time they would want to delete something. Plus the key-logger could detect that being typed.

I thought they were deleting the pirate altogether. Sadly, some guy named Little Plunder fell victim to this.

Smart stealers wouldn't delete a pirate, due to the fact you have 30 days for it being restored for UA and 7 days for regular access. Then again, most stealers are dumb people who have nothing better to do than to ruin lives.

Smart stealers wouldn't delete a pirate, due to the fact you have 30 days for it being restored for UA and 7 days for regular access. Then again, most stealers are dumb people who have nothing better to do than to ruin lives.

That whole "7 days for regular access" is not true. I have about 4 alt accounts that are nearing a year old without ever purchasing UA on them.

There's been an idea I've been kicking around lately. Maybe everyone should email Disney at a designated time about how you are seriously considering canceling you're UA if they don't get their acts together. Maybe take it one step further and just cancel all at the same time. Maybe have everyone email Disney with the same exact message at the same time.

Since it's clear that Disney won't do anything, perhaps the players should give them a little incentive to.

I find it ridiuclous that we even have to pay for "enhanced gameplay." Doesn't disney make enough money with Disneyland, Disneyworld, their tv networks, etc..? Hackers will just keep making new accounts. We need more protection from Disney, not that they even care at all.

I find it ridiuclous that we even have to pay for "enhanced gameplay." Doesn't disney make enough money with Disneyland, Disneyworld, their tv networks, etc..? Hackers will just keep making new accounts. We need more protection from Disney, not that they even care at all.

If I'm not mistaken, their budgets are completely separate, with different administrations, etc. I assume the main corporation gets their cut first. I don't doubt there are a lot of fat executives milking this cow and the people who actually do the work ( what little is being done ) get what crumbs are left over. That's usually the way large corporations work.

Back