In regards to Pirates of the Caribbean Online Rewritten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good Sir Tyler

Buccaneer
Before I begin to talk about what I wish to talk about in this posting I would like to say that this post is not malicious in nature. I would also like to point out that it will probably be the banning of me from these forums. without further delay I will begin. This post is in regards to somewhat recent events concerning the other fansite as well as concerning another remake itself. While I do not know the specifics of the falling-out between O'furys forums and Samuels forums I do not feel that any sort of split was warranted. The POTCO community is segmented enough with countless different private servers popping up therefore I think that is was silly and childish to desert Sams forums, And to allow for the staff here to trash his forums whilst on his forums. I would also like to touch on the lack of any sort of development on the game at all. While I would like to sit back and pretend that the "developers" are hard at work coding away at the game in order to release it as soon as they feel it is ready to be released, that however is simply not the case. It has been nearly 1 year sense the closing of our beloved POTCO and another remake is nothing but a walking simulator, still. The people at TTR are very close to being able to fully release TTR and it has been the same amount of time. While I understand that TT is and was a less complex game than POTCO there really is no good reason as to why another remake has no progress whatsoever. They keep claiming that "big" updates are right around the corner but we have so far seen nothing. I understand that they pay out of pocket for the cost of this. However it is the lack of all progress whatsoever in the game development that has me. Its that they keep us in the dark for some issues like the lack of game development. I would me much more patient and content if they flat out said "we dont have the money now, sorry we will continue when we do though." Rather than keep telling us that big updates are around the corner when there simply are not any updates to speak of. Im sure they have good intentions rewriting the game and I appreciate that.
Again I would like to point out that the nature of this post was not to cause drama or anything of the sort it is merely my opinion on the recent developments and lack thereof in terms of game development.
I would also like to say that this has a good chance of being my banning as such I would like to say that the people who make up the community are good folk and deserve to be in the loop rather in the dark. I would like to thank the community as I did have some good times with you all. ~thank you for reading~

Ahoy mates!

I would like to shed some light on these discussions, yes, there have been a lack of updates released to the public. Yes, another remake's development is quite a bit slower than TTR. Let me explain a few things about the staff at another remake.

We are not children. We did not get a summer break to spend all hours of the day coding.

That would have been fantastic! I would love to work on another remake day in and day out, but I have a job to do everyday and I don't have the option of not going. I have a family to provide for and I need money to fund my time here on the internet. As for the other staff members, they are also mostly adults that have their own professions. First and foremost our duty is to our real life. Secondly, our duty is to another remake. I spend about 16 hours a day at work. When I get home I get on another remake and all I see is negativity about my work and the time I spend on it. It really makes me personally not motivated to do much.

My only true motivation, and the motivation to most of the staff has become less and less focused on the community. When you deal with negative posts each and everyday, it makes an impact. We want POTCO to come back just as bad as you do, and we are working towards it as much as we can. There are also several other staff members that are dealing with loss of very close family members and frequent hospital visits. They can't sit down and code all day every day either.

We would love for this to be our job, but another remake isn't. It really is more of a hobby, and one that you all have seem to lost faith in. We aren't excited to release updates anymore, we aren't excited to hop on the forums and interact with the community because the majority of posts are negative. This is in no way shape or form pointed towards you Tyler, I have just finally had the time to sit down and reply to one of these posts with a common theme.

If you would like to talk more about another remake and it's development and why there isn't much of it, please feel free to add me on Skype, or PM me here. I would love to explain whatever you would like in the most detail that I am allowed.

I bow my head to all of you in utter defeat, my job is to continue to develop the community and keep you all excited for another remake, clearly. I have failed.

Last edited:
I had considered volunteering to help very early on, but in the end decided not to because I knew I couldn't commit the time the community deserves. Not to say anybody else should do the same. We are lucky that anybody decides to spend any time on it at all, so thank you to those who do.

All I can say is I felt the project was in a rush from the git-go. It got ahead of itself very early on and people got very excited. When people are very excited, tension builds and they get impatient. And when they are left impatient for a long time, they get disappointed.

Now I'm not here to say whether or not the disappointment is justified, it's just what I've observed. I think that people are probably a tad too harsh on the project. However it could have been left at "We're working on it" until there was something to really show for it. As much as people want to see updates, what left me personally concerned is the complete silence on the matter. The lack of updates, even to just say that things have been slow lately because we haven't had much time to work on it.

I understand how negativity can be such an enormous de-motivator, and I don't want the team left feeling unappreciated. I just would like for the feedback to not fall on deaf ears either. I am sure that a lot of people will change their tune on the project when they can actually try it out, or see it in action at least.

Best wishes to you all.

Before I begin to talk about what I wish to talk about in this posting I would like to say that this post is not malicious in nature. I would also like to point out that it will probably be the banning of me from these forums. without further delay I will begin. This post is in regards to somewhat recent events concerning the other fansite as well as concerning another remake itself. While I do not know the specifics of the falling-out between O'furys forums and Samuels forums I do not feel that any sort of split was warranted. The POTCO community is segmented enough with countless different private servers popping up therefore I think that is was silly and childish to desert Sams forums, And to allow for the staff here to trash his forums whilst on his forums. I would also like to touch on the lack of any sort of development on the game at all. While I would like to sit back and pretend that the "developers" are hard at work coding away at the game in order to release it as soon as they feel it is ready to be released, that however is simply not the case. It has been nearly 1 year sense the closing of our beloved POTCO and another remake is nothing but a walking simulator, still. The people at TTR are very close to being able to fully release TTR and it has been the same amount of time. While I understand that TT is and was a less complex game than POTCO there really is no good reason as to why another remake has no progress whatsoever. They keep claiming that "big" updates are right around the corner but we have so far seen nothing. I understand that they pay out of pocket for the cost of this. However it is the lack of all progress whatsoever in the game development that has me. Its that they keep us in the dark for some issues like the lack of game development. I would me much more patient and content if they flat out said "we dont have the money now, sorry we will continue when we do though." Rather than keep telling us that big updates are around the corner when there simply are not any updates to speak of. Im sure they have good intentions rewriting the game and I appreciate that.
Again I would like to point out that the nature of this post was not to cause drama or anything of the sort it is merely my opinion on the recent developments and lack thereof in terms of game development.
I would also like to say that this has a good chance of being my banning as such I would like to say that the people who make up the community are good folk and deserve to be in the loop rather in the dark. I would like to thank the community as I did have some good times with you all. ~thank you for reading~
Tyler I do appreciate your support and for you looking out for me, but I want you to know that my situation has nothing to do with these forums. NOTHING AT ALL.
This doesn't warrant a ban or warning or whatsoever, it's just your opinion. I think it is important to point out though that none of our staff have 'trashed' Samuel's forums, so don't say that.
On the other hand, Red is 100% right because this situation had NOTHING to do with these forums. It has been multiple people from Jacob's forums, but that has passed and is now behind us and that is something that we need to forget.

It is over with.

Tyler I do appreciate your support and for you looking out for me, but I want you to know that my situation has nothing to do with these forums. NOTHING AT ALL.

On the other hand, Red is 100% right because this situation had NOTHING to do with these forums. It has been multiple people from Jacob's forums, but that has passed and is now behind us and that is something that we need to forget.

It is over with.

Tyler has explained this already:

This was copied and pasted from what I did post on the two other forums. Sorry for confusion.

It is over with.

Yeah I just copied and pasted between the forums. I was not trying to imply that what had happened was on these forums. I just posted it here to get it out to the most places that I could. Again sorry for confusion.

Ahoy mates!

I would like to shed some light on these discussions, yes, there have been a lack of updates released to the public. Yes, another remake's development is quite a bit slower than TTR. Let me explain a few things about the staff at another remake.

We are not children. We did not get a summer break to spend all hours of the day coding.

That would have been fantastic! I would love to work on another remake day in and day out, but I have a job to do everyday and I don't have the option of not going. I have a family to provide for and I need money to fund my time here on the internet. As for the other staff members, they are also mostly adults that have their own professions. First and foremost our duty is to our real life. Secondly, our duty is to another remake. I spend about 16 hours a day at work. When I get home I get on another remake and all I see is negativity about my work and the time I spend on it. It really makes me personally not motivated to do much.

My only true motivation, and the motivation to most of the staff has become less and less focused on the community. When you deal with negative posts each and everyday, it makes an impact. We want POTCO to come back just as bad as you do, and we are working towards it as much as we can. There are also several other staff members that are dealing with loss of very close family members and frequent hospital visits. They can't sit down and code all day every day either.

We would love for this to be our job, but another remake isn't. It really is more of a hobby, and one that you all have seem to lost faith in. We aren't excited to release updates anymore, we aren't excited to hop on the forums and interact with the community because the majority of posts are negative. This is in no way shape or form pointed towards you Tyler, I have just finally had the time to sit down and reply to one of these posts with a common theme.

If you would like to talk more about another remake and it's development and why there isn't much of it, please feel free to add me on Skype, or PM me here. I would love to explain whatever you would like in the most detail that I am allowed.

I bow my head to all of you in utter defeat, my job is to continue to develop the community and keep you all excited for another remake, clearly. I have failed.

Tom, I would like to say, thank you so much for posting this. This was much needed to clear up all of the confusion regarding the updates and such.
There will always be people who are impatient and cannot wait until the game comes out, to the point where they question whether you are still working on it. Don't let those people de-motivate you. Remember that there are also people who don't care when the game comes out, and don't care how frequently updates are posted. The people who are grateful that you're doing what you're doing to bring back a game that brought so much happiness to everyone. Take your time, don't rush, don't try to prove anything to anyone, just keep doing what you are doing. We're all looking forward to another remake just as much, and I would like to let you know that your work does not go unappreciated. Thank you.

I was not aware that you were part of the another remake development staff, Tom. Last I knew, you were serving only as an administrator for the another remake (official) forums.

So...does this mean the another remake development team (as posted on the
Wiki) needs updated? :confused:

If anyone bans you for your allowed civil opinion on what another remake is doing then they're out of their minds and likely over protective of the project. To me another remake is more and more becoming like an entity we may remember when they were the spotlight and "front runner" of these Post POTCO/ex POTCO projects and it concerns me since if we all remember the last project in the spotlight was POTHS.

If anyone bans you for your allowed civil opinion on what another remake is doing then they're out of their minds and likely over protective of the project. To me another remake is more and more becoming like an entity we may remember when they were the spotlight and "front runner" of these Post POTCO/ex POTCO projects and it concerns me since if we all remember the last project in the spotlight was POTHS.

Indeed. That post is not even including the absolute absurdity that the donations are. I hate to say but I feel that they may close down soon. Just my opinion.

https://xenforo.com/purchase/
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-payment.46679/

Just some things about the donations and even more so at how absurd and ridiculous they are.

That is just the licensing for the software. That does not count monthly costs it takes to deploy it on a server (which granted aren't very much these days.. but still something to consider).
It is without a doubt something to consider. Something though that personally bothers me if some don't mind me chiming in, is what this might say for when another remake needs servers for players should it be successful.

It is without a doubt something to consider. Something though that personally bothers me if some don't mind me chiming in, is what this might say for when another remake needs servers for players should it be successful.
another remake game wise has a separate plan that is not related to any sort of donation at all. I'll let one of the developers answer that though. Not my place to really say. @Josh Kenway @Kate Goldwalker

another remake game wise has a separate plan that is not related to any sort of donation at all. I'll let one of the developers answer that though. Not my place to really say. @Josh Kenway @Kate Goldwalker
I quite understand that it has it would have its own separate plan however the point I'm attempting to draw is that it doesn't say much that it may be difficult to support JUST the forums for customer service/support and to me is a bit frightening. Based off what I've observed the plan for which another remake will gain funds to support itself seems a bit off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back