Introducing the POTCO Emulator!

Here is something I would like @Davy Gunfish (aka G-Man) to answer to:
  • What purpose and/or goal do ye seek out to where you were a major cause to the disruption of the Revive POTCO "blockade" event (back on January 1st, 2013) with your RENEGADE MERCENARY ship? :confused:
~ As someone whom quickly organized a POTCO emulator project shortly after POTCO had closed (although that project has since gone underground), what changes have affected you personally to where you now seek out support from the ex-POTCO community while you - yourself - have taken action "against" the POTCO community, in the past?

To better jog your memory, please read this post below (along with others made to the following thread):

https://piratesforums.co/threads/revive-potco-new-years-blockade.8095/page-6#post-138828

• What purpose and/or goal do ye seek out to where you were a major cause to the disruption of the Revive POTCO "blockade" event (back on January 1st, 2013) with your RENEGADE MERCENARY ship? :confused:
~ As someone whom quickly organized a POTCO emulator project shortly after POTCO had closed (although that project has since gone underground), what changes have affected you personally to where you now seek out support from the ex-POTCO community while you - yourself - have taken action "against" the POTCO community, in the past?

To better jog your memory, please read this post below (along with others made to the following thread):

https://piratesforums.co/threads/revive-potco-new-years-blockade.8095/page-6#post-138828
At least someone brought it up...

I'd say other problems he had with other "another remake projects" saying Potco would never open... but you know. Not pointing fingers.

Three blunt questions. (Besides background checks on some of your developers...)

1. Have you gotten approval from Disney?

2. Do you have any plans on running and moderating the game 24/7? - Were will you find the time?

3. Are you even close to the beta testing stage? I'm not talking about another remake rip off single player offline which I coded most of. I am talking about legit beta.

If you have 3/3 of theses questions yes I wish you the BEST of luck.

If you have 2/3 of theses questions yes, then you have a lot of work to do.

If you have 1 or less, I recommended closing the project.

1. We have not received approval from Disney, but I believe we will have no problems with them. Our project is completely not for profit, and we are not using any of Disney's original server code.

2. The game will be run 24/7, but not moderated 24/7. There will be a chat censor that will automatically hand out warnings/bans. We will also have a way for players to report rule-breakers.

3. Sadly, we are not near the beta stage. But unlike another remake we plan on releasing a full beta somewhere in the future, and it will be nothing like another remake's singleplayer alpha. We are concentrating fully on creating an emulated server.

1. We have not received approval from Disney, but I believe we will have no problems with them. Our project is completely not for profit, and we are not using any of Disney's original server code.

2. The game will be run 24/7, but not moderated 24/7. There will be a chat censor that will automatically hand out warnings/bans. We will also have a way for players to report rule-breakers.

3. Sadly, we are not near the beta stage. But unlike another remake we plan on releasing a full beta somewhere in the future, and it will be nothing like another remake's singleplayer alpha. We are concentrating fully on creating an emulated server.
I have a question about this. How do you wish to run this?

You need multiple servers to keep this game running. Where will you come up with that money etc.?

I did not have a goal or purpose in disrupting the blockade. At the time I had taken PotCO for granted, and I thought it would be a good opportunity to troll and have a bit of fun. After the closure of PotCO I realized what I had lost, and changed myself. My goals were no longer to have fun by ruining other people's experience and disrupting an event with good intentions. I then set my goal to bring back PotCO not only to myself, but to us all. I would be lying if I said I did not have a bad history with hacking on the game and my interactions with other projects. I just hope that all of that can be put behind us for now, so that we may work towards a common goal: bringing PotCO back. I must also say that a lot of my drive for starting this project came from the state of the PotC Fanon Wiki.

I have a question about this. How do you wish to run this?

You need multiple servers to keep this game running. Where will you come up with that money etc.?
I plan on paying for the servers via crowdfunding. I know a great and relatively cheaper host that I have used in the past, and I will also be helping fund the project myself. I have also considered other methods of funding, such as placing ads on our forums.

Really another attempt? Sorry but I'm not really excited anymore due to there being so many remakes :facepalm:. I only see one making it to the finish line but that's just my opinion. I think I'll just stick with Pirates Online Rewritten due to the fact that they aren't asking for donations for servers from the community and because everyone there has become like a huge family to me, but that's just my opinion. I do wish you Good luck with this though! and I truly hope one of these remakes make it for the community's sake. As this community has been through a lot.

I did not have a goal or purpose in disrupting the blockade. At the time I had taken PotCO for granted, and I thought it would be a good opportunity to troll and have a bit of fun. After the closure of PotCO I realized what I had lost, and changed myself. My goals were no longer to have fun by ruining other people's experience and disrupting an event with good intentions. I then set my goal to bring back PotCO not only to myself, but to us all. I would be lying if I said I did not have a bad history with hacking on the game and my interactions with other projects. I just hope that all of that can be put behind us for now, so that we may work towards a common goal: bringing PotCO back. I must also say that a lot of my drive for starting this project came from the state of the PotC Fanon Wiki.

... I have also considered other methods of funding, such as placing ads on our forums.
Unfortunately, there has been an influx of DDoS attacks occurring lately that has affected (various) POTCO new game/emulator projects. *Concerning your forums, how readily are you and your development team prepared to handle such attacks or threats to protect the online convenience of those members/players whom do happen to register and join your particular forums?

Will some of those skills you do happen to possess (see below) be put into practice to protect your forums at all costs? :confused:

G-Man (Davy G. remark on Wiki thread called 'Hacking Storm').JPG

I like your theme of a simple and free to play type of game, but.... I don't trust GMan due to his history and I don't think anyone should be playing his game where he has access to some of your information, IP address, etc.

Unfortunately, there has been an influx of DDoS attacks occurring lately that has affected (various) POTCO new game/emulator projects. *Concerning your forums, how readily are you and your development team prepared to handle such attacks or threats to protect the online convenience of those members/players whom do happen to register and join your particular forums?

Will some of those skills you do happen to possess (see below) be put into practice to protect your forums at all costs? :confused:

View attachment 62232
I haven't heard of any DDoS attacks, but I am prepared in-case we get hit. I have a script that detects IP addresses with a large number of connections, those IPs will then be automatically blocked in our firewall. I will not hesitate in purchasing further DDoS protection, either.

That was posted over a year ago, I have changed much in that time. But even at that time I said that jokingly, as evident by the smilie face was a large amount of chins at the bottom (when you put a colon as the first character it just leaves an indentation).

...I have changed much in that time...
Maybe you have, maybe you have not; only "you" know the truth behind that.

If you could, please do me a favor and review this post below that I have written some time ago:

https://piratesforums.co/threads/revive-potco-revisited-tales-be-told.9167/page-4#post-151608

In retrospect, looking back on things now is there anything perhaps you would like to say publicly to the community concerning your past choices made on POTCO? Anything at all? :confused:

- If you had truly "changed," I would think that this would not be too difficult for you.

I have already decompiled the phase files, and also have acquired the source for a Toontown emulated server. The beauty of it is that we do not plan to rewrite PotCO completely, we only have to produce the server files, and a modified launcher so people can connect. It cuts a lot of work out of the process.
That's magical that you typed in on google "How do I extract .mf files?".

I'll even provide the command to extract the phase files.
"multify -x -f filename.mf"

I wouldn't necessarily call that "decompiling" them. They're only "encrypted" so you don't get a clutter in your main folder. ALSO, encrypting the files into a .mf archive compressed them making the initial download smaller.

You're in the exact same position another remake is in. We need to recreate a server. Welcome to the club!

The way you're putting this is that it will be super easy to do, actually... no. Building an MMO is a huge project and they take time. another remake is taking awhile because 1) we're doing volunteer work and have our own lives to live. 2) We work on another remake on ONLY our free time. 3) Most of us are high school/college students and have other work needing to be done. 4) Security is our TOP priority. We are making sure EVERYTHING is secure for the public.

The "toontown source code" will have absolutely NO value to you. Sure it is a nice reference to a working server but it will not run POTCO. Nice try though.

I wish you the best of luck. If you're done before another remake, good for you! :)

another remake is taking it's time and getting things done right.

Last edited:
That's magical that you typed in on google "How do I extract .mf files?".

I'll even provide the command to extract the phase files.
"multify -x -f filename.mf"

I wouldn't necessarily call that "decompiling" them. They're only "encrypted" so you don't get a clutter in your main folder. ALSO, encrypting the files into a .mf archive compressed them making the initial download smaller.

You're in the exact same position another remake is in. We need to recreate a server. Welcome to the club!

The way you're putting this is that it will be super easy to do, actually... no. Building an MMO is a huge project and they take time. another remake is taking awhile because 1) we're doing volunteer work and have our own lives to live. 2) We work on another remake on ONLY our free time. 3) Most of us are high school/college students and have other work needing to be done. 4) Security is our TOP priority. We are making sure EVERYTHING is secure for the public.

The "toontown source code" will have absolutely NO value to you. Sure it is a nice reference to a working server but it will not run POTCO. Nice try though.

I wish you the best of luck. If you're done before another remake, good for you! :)

another remake is taking it's time and getting things done right.
I never said it would be easy, and I know we both are in the same position. Creating an emulator is a very large project, and we, just like you, have lives and are doing this in our free time. Our Toontown server does in-fact have value to us. Not only is it a good reference, it shares minor features with PotCO such as SpeedChat. I never said it could run PotCO. Your post was simply an attack on us with you making assumptions and putting words into my mouth.

Maybe you have, maybe you have not; only "you" know the truth behind that.

If you could, please do me a favor and review this post below that I have written some time ago:

https://piratesforums.co/threads/revive-potco-revisited-tales-be-told.9167/page-4#post-151608
In retrospect, looking back on things now is there anything perhaps you would like to say publicly to the community concerning your past choices made on POTCO? Anything at all? :confused:

- If you had truly "changed," I would think that this would not be too difficult for you.
I would like to apologize to the community as a whole for my actions in the game. I was immature and did not stop to think twice about what I was truly doing. I disrupted an event that had a good cause, and negatively effected peoples' experiences. In a time where we all should have stood together, I stood against the rest of the community. What I was doing was completely counterproductive. If I had the chance, I would go back and change what happened that day.

Interesting to see another Post POTCO Project come up, and one that can rival (if done correctly) the overly defensive another remake. I find myself unable to support anything that remakes POTCO at this time though. Let alone unable to support practically any project Post POTCO except Blake Flag Online, the only one imo that has true potential of the various projects.

I would like to apologize to the community as a whole for my actions in the game. I was immature and did not stop to think twice about what I was truly doing. I disrupted an event that had a good cause, and negatively effected peoples' experiences. In a time where we all should have stood together, I stood against the rest of the community. What I was doing was completely counterproductive. If I had the chance, I would go back and change what happened that day.
I am "extremely" happy :) that you have taken the necessary step and have apologized in this way, publicly, to the community you seek to remain a part of. ~ It takes a BIG man to admit when he is wrong and this effort made by you is a step in the right direction. For that, I appreciate these words you say as I admit, I wasn't for sure if I would ever hear them or not from someone such as yourself.

Davy - You (and everyone else) have to understand something extremely truthful. Life is too dang short!

When something like POTCO comes along which profoundly affects hundreds of lives across this planet ('yes,' POTCO was enjoyed on an international level), one should "never" take for granted the time they have been given to engage within the enjoyment of said game. It takes a certain level of maturity to realize this and rather than do all one can to exploit said opportunity, one should do all they can to seek out to contribute to the livelihood of said opportunity (in ways which benefit everyone, as opposed to a selective few).

In this day and age, one's integrity is needed now more than ever. It matters not if we conduct our selves online or in real; our actions directly affect other people!

~ Through my personal understanding of the apology you declare above, I openly accept your apology. ;) On a matter of "trust," it remains to be seen if I can do that completely (although the odds are much greater now that eventually, I will).

"Welcome back." :piratemickey:

First, I do not to be rude or anything, so if I come off that way I truly am sorry.

Seems risky to be accepting donations while using Disney's assets (all the POTCO assets, designs, music, etc… belong to them)

Then again, another remake, POU, and Pirates House have pretty much the same risk, I just feel the risk here is larger if you are openly accepting donations.

Best of luck to you.

Last edited:
First, I do not to be rude or anything, so if I come off that way I truly am sorry.

Seems risky to be accepting donations while using Disney's assets (all the POTCO assets, designs, music, etc… belong to them)

Then again, another remake, POU, and Pirates House have pretty much the same risk, I just feel the risk here is larger if you are openly accepting donations.

Best of luck to you.
This is one of the main reasons that another remake doesn't accept ANY donations. We do not want to have any issues with Disney(DIMG). The same goes for TTR. They're NEVER going to charge a single penny and NEVER going to accept a single donation.

We respect DIMG and all of their rights to the game and will NEVER infringe upon them. If anyone ever spots a staff member from another remake looking for donations please let me know via PM.

Back