Introducing the POTCO Emulator!

And then there is Toontown Rewritten, 1 year. Practically same stuff. But we won't talk about the elephant in the room.
In their defense, Toontown coding is exactly half the work/coding it takes to run a game like POTCO. ~ However, I still see the project to much for any small group of coders to accomplish.

Normally it takes 50+ Advanced coders to run and keep up a game. (Which Toontown Rewritten has) Most of the projects to bring back POTCO have a maximum of 30-40 staff members total. In which only 2-3 would be consider 'advanced coders'. I am not bashing or pointing fingers on any of their staff, the way they go about coding, or how they are running their individual projects. I simply see the task to massive for non-Disney size company or coders from such to bring back.

:2 cents:

Why are there so many different ones? Can't everybody work together and get this done quicker? I guess I am just getting impatient.
We've contacted a few of the other 'emulators', not many of them were interested in working with us. For a brief period we were working with Pirates Online Uprising(which was a 1 person team), but just as other have said on this thread each has a different perspective on how it should be remade. Tension built up and that partnership was severed. another remake is trying to remake it as it was, with a few exceptions. Some of these exceptions may include taking out some main characters from the game, such as Jack Sparrow and William Turner.

A few have called us stupid for wanting to use Panda3D as our game engine, actually it's the logical approach. Pirates cannot run without Panda3D. Panda3D is the backbone of Pirates, almost every module has Panda3D code tied in with it(there are over 2,000 modules). The majority of the code will have to be ENTIRELY rewritten if we wanted to use another game engine, such as Unity. Also, with money being a problem we cannot be spending a ton of money on software to make the game. Panda3D is a free download, saving us money. Astron, which is basically OTP rewritten, can power the server. Best part, Astron is free to use. For anyone who says that Panda3D doesn't have the strength to power a high quality game, take a look at the image at the bottom of this post. That is a picture from an example shown on Panda3D's Facebook page showing off the quality that Panda3D can have.

One of the biggest problems at another remake is that there aren't many people out there who want to build a game for free. It's ALL volunteer work. Nobody gets paid for what we're doing. Most of the people who want to work for us are experienced in one thing, but not what we need. If anyone is experienced in Python please contact me, I will be glad to talk to you. I'm sure there is somebody out there in the community who knows a lot about what we need.

panda3dexample.png

I don't know about the rest of y'all but this is about the POTCO Emulator and this seems to get off track, why not get back to the true topic?

We've contacted a few of the other 'emulators', not many of them were interested in working with us. For a brief period we were working with Pirates Online Uprising(which was a 1 person team), but just as other have said on this thread each has a different perspective on how it should be remade. Tension built up and that partnership was severed. another remake is trying to remake it as it was, with a few exceptions. Some of these exceptions may include taking out some main characters from the game, such as Jack Sparrow and William Turner.

A few have called us stupid for wanting to use Panda3D as our game engine, actually it's the logical approach. Pirates cannot run without Panda3D. Panda3D is the backbone of Pirates, almost every module has Panda3D code tied in with it(there are over 2,000 modules). The majority of the code will have to be ENTIRELY rewritten if we wanted to use another game engine, such as Unity. Also, with money being a problem we cannot be spending a ton of money on software to make the game. Panda3D is a free download, saving us money. Astron, which is basically OTP rewritten, can power the server. Best part, Astron is free to use. For anyone who says that Panda3D doesn't have the strength to power a high quality game, take a look at the image at the bottom of this post. That is a picture from an example shown on Panda3D's Facebook page showing off the quality that Panda3D can have.

One of the biggest problems at another remake is that there aren't many people out there who want to build a game for free. It's ALL volunteer work. Nobody gets paid for what we're doing. Most of the people who want to work for us are experienced in one thing, but not what we need. If anyone is experienced in Python please contact me, I will be glad to talk to you. I'm sure there is somebody out there in the community who knows a lot about what we need.

View attachment 63360

@Mike Wass is right. Panda is best choice for this job. Comparing these days engines I would put Panda in top 15 engines and in top 5 open source / free engines. It is powerful, simple to use, fast.
@Charles Warmonk is not entirely right. Toontown doesn't have ''exactly half the work/coding it takes to run a game like POTCO'', POTCO has ~1800, while toontown has ~3600 source code files. Also one or two skilled coders could rewritte server in few weeks, TTR got through all that and left more than enough information for others.

As for the emulator, what the hell all you people want from them? If you don't have anything smart or useful to add, let them do their job. I think least thing devs like another remake/TTR (or any other) need is your bashing.
PS.
I administrate the P3D facebook page so if you have something to post there pm me.

@Mike Wass is right. Panda is best choice for this job. Comparing these days engines I would put Panda in top 15 engines and in top 5 open source / free engines. It is powerful, simple to use, fast.
@Charles Warmonk is not entirely right. Toontown doesn't have ''exactly half the work/coding it takes to run a game like POTCO'', POTCO has ~1800, while toontown has ~3600 source code files. Also one or two skilled coders could rewritte server in few weeks, TTR got through all that and left more than enough information for others.

As for the emulator, what the hell all you people want from them? If you don't have anything smart or useful to add, let them do their job. I think least thing devs like another remake/TTR (or any other) need is your bashing.
PS.
I administrate the P3D facebook page so if you have something to post there pm me.
Regardless, the rest of my statement is still true. Not enough advanced coders for such a large job. :/

Because you were so advanced, right
@GangStarr - Is this a question or an insult? *If it is to be an insult (coming from you), I encourage you to read up on this forums Terms of Service within the area of flaming.

For your convenience, I have posted the rule pertaining to flaming and why it is not tolerated on this particular forums:

"No Flaming"

• Flaming is the posting of hostile or insulting messages to an individual or group.
--------------------------------------
For all members/future thread posts
: This particular thread has suffered enough from posts deemed off-topic and irrelevant. The thread has to do with "Pirates Online Emulator" and as such, future posts need to concern themselves with that topic of discussion only.

Last edited by a moderator:
@GangStarr - Is this a question or an insult? *If it is to be an insult (coming from you), I encourage you to read up on this forums Terms of Service within the area of flaming.

For your convenience, I have posted the rule pertaining to flaming and why it is not tolerated on this particular forums:

"No Flaming"

• Flaming is the posting of hostile or insulting messages to an individual or group.
--------------------------------------
For all members/future thread posts
: This particular thread has suffered enough from posts deemed off-topic and irrelevant. The thread has to do with "Pirates Online Emulator" and as such, future posts need to concern themselves with that topic of discussion only.
Thank you, i forgot the rules

Not sure yet but applied to help and possibly (hopefully) be a lead :) I promise if I an allowed in I will keep you guys informed on as much as possible...

Edit: wrong emu never mind

So is there any news on this project? @Davy Gunfish @NotDavid
So, is this project still up?
Apparently not (although it has been a while since both @Davy Gunfish and @NotDavid have actually logged onto this forums to explain or provide an official announcement). For more info., please review this link.

EDIT: Perhaps "someone" could shed more light on this as the comments left to the link I provide above express some doubt as to the legitimacy of such news. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the news, as far as I know. Keep in mind, this is what I have heard, and it may or may not be 100% true.

The game itself is fully complete and operational as far as I know, but Davy just needs to make a working launcher for the game. He has been trying to make a launcher from the ToonTown Rewritten launcher, but he has not been able to connect it correctly.

Once the game itself is "released" it could be difficult to obtain. As far as I understand, Davy is not releasing a download for the game, and you will have to get it from someone else. He is however making a download available for the launcher, just not the game itself. If you kept the old POTCO launcher on your computer for nostalgic reasons, congrats. You have the POTCO Emulator. If you don't, you will have to get a download from someone who does, and puts it up on a site for download.

As I stated, this may or may not be 100% accurate, but it's what I have heard.

EDIT: This has been confirmed to me by Davy that the statements in this post are accurate.

Last edited:
Thank you. ;) *In looking closer at the Wiki page and the individual whom had obviously initiated the cancellation, a few things did not quite add up.

Someone correct me if I am wrong (which I could very well be) but legally, if a download is made and then distributed is that not grounds itself for the initiator -and- the recipient to directly face legal trouble more so than if say a launcher itself was relied upon instead?

IF so, then it is my "hope" that a disclaimer would openly be shared to alleviate any confusion according to the level of risk taken.

EDIT: Never mind. :oops: I re-read your post and you referred to the download being for the launcher itself and not the actual game.

This doesn't quite add up... Anyway you look at this, files will have to be downloaded. If the plan (this is what I understand it is) is to NOT distrubute the client, and instead rely on the pre-existing client that people had installed for POTCO... Things will still have to be changed. Most notibably what server to connect to for the game, and any updates (if any).

If this is going to be singleplayer, then all server files must be downloaded, and these directly dervive from the client.

Either way things will be downloaded. And even if you can do some impossible magical stuff, you can still face legal trouble from the act of just running the server, because you reverse engineered the client to create the server.

Back