Is POTCO going downhill?

Do you think POTCO is going downhill?

• Total voters

Buddy Buckles

Buccaneer
I only joined POTCO in September 2011. But I have heard that POTCO used to be much more fun.
Potco is now rarely updated, and left to rot by Disney members. Aside from the occasional fun event,
Potco is really getting boring. Basic members hardly get anything but crude weapons and small
ships. And now you can only contact Disney members by E-mail. If this keeps up, POTCO is doomed
to shut down eventually. If anyone agrees with me, please respond to this post - Buddy Buckles.

Everyone says 'Disney is letting this game fail', or 'Disney is doing this'. Disney isn't totally in charge of this game- DIMG is. Yes, Disney owns DIMG, but they don't control the game's updates. Only the funding.
Anyways, yes, POTCO is going downhill. The game is not what it was when I started in '07/'08. Really, the only thing keeping people playing imo is mainly because everyone has friends who play the game. Not the case for everyone, but for a lot.

Yes it is, sadly.

As a player from 2008, I have seen drastic (negative) changes throughout all aspects and areas of the game. These changes have resulted in this nosedive POTCO has been taking since late 2010. I'll provide a list - could get lengthy...

1. Dwindling customer support - no live chat or phone service anymore, and you're lucky if you get a response via email.
  2. Graphical degrading - I pay attention to details a lot, and have noticed that throughout the years, the graphics have gotten into very low quality. Most of the textures are very blurry, and lots of detail (like seagulls and other things) have been taken out.
  3. Lack of content - this is all too evident at the moment. The last Test Server release notes were from April - it is now September. Almost 5 months have passed, and we have seen nothing of significance... Just a bunch of promotional items and contests that, relatively speaking, nobody is interested in anymore.
  4. The overall maturity of the playerbase has gone downhill as well - hacking is one of those influences.
  5. Adding onto #4, hacking and glitching have grown abundant - probably as a result of there being nothing to do - there is nothing keeping these people interested, so therefore they feel they need to make their own "fun".
  6. Massive decline of players - many players have quit as a result of all of the things listed above, and this just makes the game fall faster.
  7. Degrading game experience - either the servers are old and outdated, or just need some general upkeep. Massive server delay and latency has been plaguing the servers lately, making it difficult and not very enjoyable to play.
The economy plays a big role too - and that hasn't been the greatest lately. Even big, established companies like Disney are feeling some strain. Most likely, the majority of the people at the POTCO HQ have gone to work elsewhere - thus, not enough people to produce content, and there are not enough funds to do so even. We do have the Petition in progress that will hopefully do something down the road - and I also read somewhere (if someone knows what I'm talking about and knows where the link is, post it below) that we may see some change in 2013 when Disney is "stepping it up" in DIMG.

Yes it is, sadly.

As a player from 2008, I have seen drastic (negative) changes throughout all aspects and areas of the game. These changes have resulted in this nosedive POTCO has been taking since late 2010. I'll provide a list - could get lengthy...

1. Dwindling customer support - no live chat or phone service anymore, and you're lucky if you get a response via email.
  2. Graphical degrading - I pay attention to details a lot, and have noticed that throughout the years, the graphics have gotten into very low quality. Most of the textures are very blurry, and lots of detail (like seagulls and other things) have been taken out.
  3. Lack of content - this is all too evident at the moment. The last Test Server release notes were from April - it is now September. Almost 5 months have passed, and we have seen nothing of significance... Just a bunch of promotional items and contests that, relatively speaking, nobody is interested in anymore.
  4. The overall maturity of the playerbase has gone downhill as well - hacking is one of those influences.
  5. Adding onto #4, hacking and glitching have grown abundant - probably as a result of there being nothing to do - there is nothing keeping these people interested, so therefore they feel they need to make their own "fun".
  6. Massive decline of players - many players have quit as a result of all of the things listed above, and this just makes the game fall faster.
  7. Degrading game experience - either the servers are old and outdated, or just need some general upkeep. Massive server delay and latency has been plaguing the servers lately, making it difficult and not very enjoyable to play.
The economy plays a big role too - and that hasn't been the greatest lately. Even big, established companies like Disney are feeling some strain. Most likely, the majority of the people at the POTCO HQ have gone to work elsewhere - thus, not enough people to produce content, and there are not enough funds to do so even. We do have the Petitionin progress that will hopefully do something down the road - and I also read somewhere (if someone knows what I'm talking about and knows where the link is, post it below) that we may see some change in 2013 when Disney is "stepping it up" in DIMG.

This Makes total since Johnny, TY for sharing this masterpiece here lol :p XD i agree TOTALY WITH you and have been all along do we have the same Minds? :confused: lol JK :p

From 2008 to 2012, I could say yes and no. Yes, it has gone downhill and John pretty much stated everything why yes. No, in the sense that the game is a lot bigger than it used to be. So in my opinion it has gone 80% downhill and 20% uphill. Though that 20% only comes into play because the game had to get bigger or it would have died in a year of its release date... So over all, you can say very much it has gone down a lot. Content is a necesity to keep the game going so content only cannot define if a game got better or worse. But this year so far, they are failing that as well.

Also, every time I say or have said 'Disney', I am always referring to DIMG.

I have almost if not completely moved on from POTCO, just as John has said, I've been a player since the game first came out from 2008. Back then, man, the game was just awesome. Everyone was kind, the content was non-stop entertaining, lot's of quests, and just overall, fun. Since then, it just plummeted downhill, Disney has broken promises and risen the hopes of players and then crushed them. Unless POTCO starts going uphill (which probably won't happen), I doubt I will be playing this game anymore.

Yes it is, sadly.

The economy plays a big role too - and that hasn't been the greatest lately. Even big, established companies like Disney are feeling some strain. Most likely, the majority of the people at the POTCO HQ have gone to work elsewhere - thus, not enough people to produce content, and there are not enough funds to do so even. We do have the Petition in progress that will hopefully do something down the road - and I also read somewhere (if someone knows what I'm talking about and knows where the link is, post it below) that we may see some change in 2013 when Disney is "stepping it up" in DIMG.

If you did all the graphic stuff, this game would be famous

Customer support is horrible. They never seem to answer your concern or help you in a timely manner. I do think they still have phone service though...

We are available toll free at 1-888-507-9507, between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. All times are stated in Pacific Standard Time.

I agree with John. I have been playing since 07 and yes its without a doubt its changed. The newer players are not the friendliest bunch, not all of them, but most. I remember when pvp was for actual fun and settling arguements, but in the end we were all still friends. And old potco was alot bigger. Anybody here remember the old Fort Charles hill? or when there was no loot and the gold showed up on the left hand side? Or when there was only one weapon slot? It seems to me that the quests are easier than before. I don't know maybe its just me. I made a new pirate to see what maybe new quests there were and I think their easier than when potco first came out. I think potco went down hill when they made all those new changes, new Tortuga, new Port Royal etc, new weapons etc.. Its been a little over a month and my guild name STILL hasn't been approved. I know that this is all mixed up haha sorry. But these are my thoughts on it, so feel free to correct me or comment.And yes your all totally right about customer service. I called them about my guild name and all the said was three words: "were backed up". I saw guild numbers hundreds of numbers above me, so obviously they either need more staff or I don't know, something. I remember when they approved guild and pirate names sometimes that same day or maybe like 2 days!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid it has. I keep hoping that they'll get out there again, but so far that has not been the case. I will keep playing the game, but as of late I've been looking into other games. I must say the only thing that's really keeping me around the Caribbean is me fellow Partners and me friends.

I'm afraid it has. I keep hoping that they'll get out there again, but so far that has not been the case. I will keep playing the game, but as of late I've been looking into other games. I must say the only thing that's really keeping me around the Caribbean is me fellow Partners and me friends.
I'm with you on that Ben. The only things keeping me here are my fellow maties, my guild, and just i don't know.. I've played it since the beginning... I can't seem to let it go

Yeah, it kind of did... which is why I'm on a hiatus from making Potco videos... (Made a video about that a few months ago.) the fun is not there anymore. Not even sure if I'm coming back to potco. I might move on to different games to make videos on. I never thought that this is how it would end..

Yes, it definitely has. Really, I'm only going on POTCO to make videos for my loyal fans of my Youtube channel, and guess what? POTCO has no content left. I don't really have anything left I can do a video on that's somewhat interesting. It's really sad.

Yes it is, sadly.

I would like to put a * next to number 4. That's probably one of my top 3 reasons. Good thinking! ;)

If you did all the graphic stuff, this game would be famous

Yes graphics is really important in a game.
But I don't think potco is going down hill. Ok we had a lot of changes but the game is going good. Like, we didn't have a lot of players. And just USA and Canada players could be members. That was a really big problem for me and players from the other country's . So when POTCO opened membership worldwide the game become really popular. And after the inventory update there was a lot of new and good weapons.So At this point I don't think POTCO is going downhill.

They are at least trying to fight hacking, they took down a website used by hackers, that would allow them to get your information.

Back