Discussion Jolly Roger One Shot Pirates at Long Range.

Are you sure that is what happened? One shot? I mean, did you use a Bomb or a Musket? xD Either way you're right, that shouldn't be possible, and Roger was DEFINITELY nerfed since the recent updates rolled in. Sad story, I actually never got to see the real Roger myself, I joined up only DAYS after they nerfed him. Heard lots from my friend and saw a few pictures etc, but never got to live it.

(Sorry, getting back to YOUR post xD)
Are you certain it was one shot? Nobody else may have helped or hit him at the same time?

I think I meant get one shot at long range. I could be standing on the other side of the Jolly Roger still agro on me.

Oooh. Ok now THAT makes more sense. Well I guess Roger just took the Rage Ghost tactic a step further xD sorry to hear about your misfortune. What level is your character? I mean if you had full health and were a level 35 at least, it'd be hard to see how Roger could just one-shot you.

A Level 50. I notice this end to happen on servers like Abassa and Andaba. I have seen it happen. I don't think level matter in this. On quieter server an almost one shot from Jolly Roger.

Could be more concentrated damage due to less people, that MAY have been apart of his update. You could also be right though, it isn't unheard of to have glitches in TLOPO, that's for sure.

(Don't quote me on this) But I believe that Jolly Roger's variant of Desolation and Cursed Lightning both scale to the population of pirates present during an invasion, which is most likely what you witnessed. He is typically capable of oneshotting pirates, regardless of level in these circumstances.

On the other hand, intended or not, I do believe something like this is welcome. Going groggy due to invasions isn't typically common due to how quickly pirates wipe out the brigades of enemies, and I honestly don't (personally) have an issue with the main antagonist of the game scaling to one-shot levels during mass invasions like this.

From what I heard about his previous form of health, he was a nearly unstoppable force. I suppose if they lowered his offensive abilities too, it would truly be a tragedy to the name "Jolly Roger". Though one thing comes to mind, in the past I've heard people (including my friend who got me on TLOPO) who claim they solo'ed Jolly and managed to win. Even before his lowered health, so my only question is... were they using some kinda crazy Hex Shot strategy? Was it a sniping thing? Was it just something they did BEFORE Roger's recent update and thus, they were not subjected to this one-shot business? Or was that apart of the old Roger? So many questions... lol None of which are crucial.

From what I heard about his previous form of health, he was a nearly unstoppable force. I suppose if they lowered his offensive abilities too, it would truly be a tragedy to the name "Jolly Roger". Though one thing comes to mind, in the past I've heard people (including my friend who got me on TLOPO) who claim they solo'ed Jolly and managed to win. Even before his lowered health, so my only question is... were they using some kinda crazy Hex Shot strategy? Was it a sniping thing? Was it just something they did BEFORE Roger's recent update and thus, they were not subjected to this one-shot business? Or was that apart of the old Roger? So many questions... lol None of which are crucial.

The typical 'solo' strategy for Jolly Roger in my experience (Which I have done a number of times since I have a varying play schedule from manageable times in the day, to waaaay too late at night) typically is using the Holy Musket class of weapons, combined with Eagle Eye, for a truly ridiculous amount of range. With this, you are very capable of standing back out of Jolly's primary attack range, while pelting him with shots.

It should also be noted that Roger focuses the Barricades prior to attacking players, unless the player is in the range of his attacks anyway, which are AoE. Jolly's typical shenanigans with the long range one shots are attributed to the Area-Of-Effect lock-on of his Cursed Lightning, which will down players behind obstacles, and the likes.

Soloing Jolly Roger shouldn't technically be feasible, but with the way population scaling mechanics are currently implemented, it makes it a bit easier than it has any right to be.

Interesting input. I'll take that into account. Also on the note on Holy Muskets, I want them. Badly. xD I've at least got a Divine Pistol and a Holy Repeater so that's a start. Was also thinking of having a Divine Repeater, Hex Breaker Musket and some kind of strong Blunderbuss like the Seven Seas or the Deafening Blast one.... not that any of this is relevant. xD Just seeing how it all looks on paper.

Does Jolly Roger AOE have a range? I don't think Jolly Roger should aggro on to your pirate if one is on the other side on the island. During last night invasion, Jolly Roger was still able to aggro to my pirates despite being on the other side of Tortuga.

Does Jolly Roger AOE have a range? I don't think Jolly Roger should aggro on to your pirate if one is on the other side on the island. During last night invasion, Jolly Roger was still able to aggro to my pirates despite being on the other side of Tortuga.

To my knowledge, Jolly's AoE shouldn't have the ability to reach that far. You may have encountered a glitch with his AI. (Once again, I am not 100% on this, so don't hurt me if it's not entirely correct!) There was a similar glitch not too long ago that is still present that allows Spanish and French undead to attack at ludicrous ranges, and there may be a similar case and point here. However, I am not all too sure.

If you happen to have this recur during your play session, please make sure to report it using the in-game Report a Bug feature, and I will test this in my time and relay my results here.

I don't a musket could reach the distance where I was standing Jolly Roger. I was able to defeat Jolly because he didn't have much health due to the invasion being on a quiet server. Jolly Roger was near Gypsy Fabiola and My pirate was standing west of dig spot near the dingy.

Last edited:
to be fair you see the real rogers as it is. back before it was extremely over powered and stats set to high even then the attack radius is set to high on joly its much better then it was before but yet still seems a bit excessive. the what you call "real jolly" was nothing more then over stats joly just needing levels adjusted

He one shot all those people with more to the left and right, isn't that what he always has done though? I think his wither like ability deals around 2500 which wipes out most players under level 40/45 or so unless you've well rounded your levels and have endurance boosts.
Screen Shot 2019-03-31 at 8.17.14 PM.png

Back