Discussion Jolly Roger One Shot Pirates at Long Range.

Seriously? Are people now trying to nerf a omnipotent mythical magical almost the most powerful godlike monster in all the Caribbean lore?

Really? Been here two years and I've NEVER seen him win. And that's with like 10 pirates. And he's too strong? Maybe shouldn't be nerfin weapons left and right then. Why are so many trying to put tlopo back to a 10 year old's challenge level?

Buncha' soft scquishy squid entails fer pirates roaming these islands. Ashamed to call meself a pirate.

Honestly this is just a bug Jolly and Invasions have been glitched for quite sometime now ive been clear across the map no where in his sight or on my compass and hes been able to one shot me.. Ive seen skeletons walking through walls, barricades, and even under ground.. You just gotta know what to do in the circumstance whenever it occurs.. Personally I like to attack Jolly with a sword since it seems he is hitting people further away from him than closer to him these days.. Then again I don't really do invasions much anymore way too laggy for me and then again I am maxed so unless im helping someone or just challenging myself I typically avoid invasions all together...

I sure this long range bug happens more on Tortuga invasion than Port Royal invasion. Yeah, the enemies walking through walls and going underground is annoying but it is doable.

Um... it's a beta after all. Nothing is set in manifest wax.

While the dev's are emancipating Jolly Roger into a 95 year old senile senior skeleton citizen, they should turn the kraken into a giant teddy bear and we can broadside jellbeans and gumdrops at him until he falls into a sugar coma.
I don't want to see tlopo turn into a toontown clone.

Last edited:
Personally I was doing an invasion with three people. One of them died and went to jail (not sure if Jolly killed them or not). One of them was attacking Jolly close range with a sword. I was the other guy, and I was standing at a mediumish/longish range shooting him with a silver shot pistol.

First of all I was doing a TON of damage, and the swordsmen was doing a pretty good amount of dmg as well. Neither one of us died the entire time which made 0 sense to me, and didn't seem like POTCO at all. We took him out in like a minute. He spawned at the docks of Tortuga and I'm pretty sure he didn't even make it past the first barricade.

From my experience there is no way Jolly should be nerfed. I remember everyone dying it POTCO too. He would wipe out about 1/3, 1/4 of the people fighting him every 15-30 seconds or so.

If anything he should be buffed not nerfed.

Jolly certainly should be able to one shot any and all comers and do it to every pirate that is in range all at once. This is simply his way, I sure don't know where you got the idea he shouldn't be able to do that.

I noticed a response that said he dropped them while on the other side of the island which is clearly not right, either an exaggeration or a bug. His range was a little less than that of long guns in potco but more than that of repeaters.

It's definitely true that his health is proportional to the population on the server in someway, not certain of the exact mechanics of that.

Jolly is just not right at the moment. He seems far too easy to beat while at the same time his attacks seem too powerful. I see nothing wrong with his attacks being op though. His health needs to be buffed. There needs to actually feel like Jolly showing up is a legitimate threat. It seems he is usually beaten before he gets anywhere near his target. I miss the days of an entire army of pirates struggling to fight him for quite a while.

xD Prime example of his abilities right there. Great picture, and certainly not an unseen thing. I was imagining this glitch being with Roger on the LITERAL other side of the island (e.g. Roger at Beach and You at Faithful Bride) and then somehow sniping you like as if he had some kinda "Voodoo Scope" xD. I myself have never seen anything like that but if anyone does, post it here cause I wanna hear about it. xD

(Message in response to Jacques' post on Page 1)

Um... it's a beta after all. Nothing is set in manifest wax.

While the dev's are emancipating Jolly Roger into a 95 year old senile senior skeleton citizen, they should turn the kraken into a giant teddy bear and we can broadside jellbeans and gumdrops at him until he falls into a sugar coma.
I don't want to see tlopo turn into a toontown clone.

Ok THAT was funny. xD But I do get the seriousness of what you're saying too don't get me wrong, but you're hilarious. xD

Jolly is just not right at the moment. He seems far too easy to beat while at the same time his attacks seem too powerful. I see nothing wrong with his attacks being op though. His health needs to be buffed. There needs to actually feel like Jolly showing up is a legitimate threat. It seems he is usually beaten before he gets anywhere near his target. I miss the days of an entire army of pirates struggling to fight him for quite a while.

Yeah see I never got to see those days. 'Tis a pity..

Another good point you made there. But as I read this thread and others and see many people wanting consistency in a game, is consistency really a desired goal in a mmo? To me, with consistency comes possible boredom. Perhaps we shouldn't press so hard for such consistency in a game like tlopo. I'm okay with Jolly storming in just madder than gator with a toothache and just wiping the whole island foot by foot no matter what we do. And then the next time coming ashore with a hangover and the flu and his hearts just not in it. Or is that davy jones who wouldn't have his heart in it? Whatever.
The game keeps us guessing and on our toes. Less boredom that way as I sees it.

Last edited:
Another good point you made there. But as I read this thread and others and see many people wanting consistency in a game, is consistency really a desired goal in a mmo? To me, with consistency comes possible boredom. Perhaps we shouldn't press so hard for such consistency in a game like tlopo. I'm okay with Jolly storming in just madder than gator with a toothache and just wiping the whole island foot by foot no matter what we do. And then the next time coming ashore with a hangover and the flu and his hearts just not in it.

VERY interesting point of view. I suppose in a way you're right, but at the same time it would be nice to not have the "Voodoo Sniper" glitch too. Keeping things interesting is ok, but it can be done in a number of ways... some of which may be better than what we have now.

I actually like the powerful Jolly. However in his current state it seems a little much, i think his Damage and health should be "equalized". Meaning his health scales higher than current, while also his damage scaling lower than current.

Here's something on the wiki with a simple jolly roger search, plus a cool video is there. What tlopo may have changed no one knows.

"But as the main story of the entire game on the whole has progressed, Jolly Roger has now begun Invasions of several islands.

Jolly Wanted

He himself battles in the Invasions. Jolly is displayed as a level ?? - His health and attack power depends on the number of pirates he is facing, possibly because he saps the life force out of his opponents. This also means that he is easier to defeat on servers with lower populations. Ye would be either very brave or very foolish to approach him alone. He was said to have been estimated to have around 500,000 health during a LARGE invasion, or crowded server. He has his own unique symbol on the map, if one were to look at the map once he has appeared during an invasion. It appears to be his head. His attacks include:

• Dark Thunderbolt: Strikes a single pirate with a Dangerous Bolt. Can often wipe out even the mightiest pirates.
  • Grave Bind: Shackles all pirates in range (similar to Grave Shackles, but with a large area effect and it lasts much longer)
  • Corruption: Similar to Wither, but also has a curse effect that makes your pirate lose health until the curse goes away, or until you hit 1 health point, where you are at Jolly's mercy.
  • Soul Storm: Similar to Desolation although it does not hurt Jolly Roger himself."

"Witnesses say the hex can do anywhere from 500 to over 2000 damage depending on the number of players, so be careful! This makes the attack fatal for most pirates under about level thirty-eight." -Wiki

...and guess what my level is.... 37. How lucky am I? xDDD

I would like to comment too but presently, cannot. *Will write a drawn-out discussion and points here (along w/likes) just as soon as I am able - this evening. :)

Another good point you made there. But as I read this thread and others and see many people wanting consistency in a game, is consistency really a desired goal in a mmo? To me, with consistency comes possible boredom. Perhaps we shouldn't press so hard for such consistency in a game like tlopo. I'm okay with Jolly storming in just madder than gator with a toothache and just wiping the whole island foot by foot no matter what we do. And then the next time coming ashore with a hangover and the flu and his hearts just not in it. Or is that davy jones who wouldn't have his heart in it? Whatever.

You're point is very intriguing, and while I don't totally agree I can see this solving a lot of boredom problems.. In general TLOPO is just too easy for me and that makes it somewhat less fun.

I'm not asking for it to be impossible or raging, or that every enemy should be a challenge, but that there would be alternative places to go/enemies to fight for those who want more of challenge. Seems like a compromise to me.

I mean red enemies are always so easy, but they're supposedly "Hard challenges"

There is a bug where Jolly gets stuck near the gypsy wagon on the way up to the faithful bride on tortuga.

If he gets stuck there he starts killing everyone at long range (like at the edge of the radar where you can barely see his icon) and he takes you down super fast.

If you have ghost form from something like the lost sword of El Patron you can run up to him and kill him, at least that has worked a couple times for me. I might make a video next time if it ever happens again or I bother to login.

Back