Discussion Just going to post this here

Yes updates are a big thing with keeping a games player base alive but so is kindness. Helping new players and being kind goes a long way. There's many times I've seen trolls being rude to players asking for help. If I was that new player, I definitely wouldn't stick around. Tbh I feel trolls/rude players could be/should be dealt with better in game. But that's just my opinion.
The developers do their best with updating the game but we all have to remember they aren't professionals, they aren't getting money from this to pay for their food, rent etc. Most of them probably have jobs, school and all that. So basically they don't have all day to work on the game. Updates take time to make, We just have to be patient. I haven't been playing a lot lately due to irl issues but I have noticed the game going down a lot lately so that means they are trying.
The day the filter gets removed is the day I quit tbh, I don't want to play a game where people can say 'adult' stuff.. There is always the whitelist thread on the forums here where you can suggest words for the whitelist..

Well, those who are more into roleplaying and the stories will certainly be grateful for some of the big projects the developers are working on. I know I am. Isla Escondida will be quite a while, and Jolly Roger's Island all the more so, but I enjoy the story quests a lot and have no intention of leaving just because of the wait. And I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. I also agree with what @Tereysa de las Sombras was saying about GM events/roleplaying and having the developers interact with the community in a more fun and casual way as opposed to us really only asking them about bugs/glitches and new content.

As for the PvP issue, I agree with just about everyone, including the OP. Something should be done about it, but with caution. That's all I really care to say on that matter because everyone else has done a much better job and is far more knowledgeable in that arena than I am or would ever care to be.

Now, global and server chats...I'm onboard with the idea, but only so long as those options can be disabled. The only other game I have ever played besides this one is Pirates of the Burning Sea during the three-and-a-half-year lull between POTCO and TLOPO. That game has a global chat, but I found it very annoying most of the time (especially because the conversations were dominated by a small handful of very chummy players) and always wished I could turn it off. That said, I do understand its benefit, so as long as it can be turned on and off in the settings or something, I'm fine with it. Hopefully someone else agrees with me.

Last edited:
The day the filter gets removed is the day I quit tbh, I don't want to play a game where people can say 'adult' stuff.. There is always the whitelist thread on the forums here where you can suggest words for the whitelist..
Fancy seeing you again.
I do not want the filter entirely removed.
I do, however, want it to be a little more... effective, at points. Again, it doesn't censor one of the most frequent typos in the English language, but it will censor some abbreviations and uncommon names.

Sorry, all I saw was political statements disguised as a pirate game video IMO. . Tlopo seems to be the bait. Perhaps theres a political section or humanities section on the forums?

I have no desire to view the rest of the video or even try to equate it to Tlopo.

Last edited:
I don't think we should focus on chat filters to much and get off topic. I am sure everyone wants to see something new added and tlopo is doing that with things such as lobbies and ctc. I think it just comes down to a matter of waiting and allowing them time to work.

I don't think we should focus on chat filters to much and get off topic. I am sure everyone wants to see something new added and tlopo is doing that with things such as lobbies and ctc. I think it just comes down to a matter of waiting and allowing them time to work.
This is true, but I still grow curious as to what the writers are up to in the meantime.

Someone who knows a bit more on this then me will have to say for sure but I have heard they are working on a new quest line and such just the main goal is to get ctc out.

Sorry, all I saw was political statements disguised as a pirate game video IMO. . Tlopo seems to be the bait. Perhaps theres a political section or humanities section on the forums?

I have no desire to view the rest of the video or even try to equate it to Tlopo.
...what political statements? He's straight up discussing TLOPO in his video.

Sorry, all I saw was political statements disguised as a pirate game video IMO. . Tlopo seems to be the bait.
nobro.png

Helping new players and being kind goes a long way. There's many times I've seen trolls being rude to players asking for help. If I was that new player, I definitely wouldn't stick around. Tbh I feel trolls/rude players could be/should be dealt with better in game. But that's just my opinion.
Couldn't agree more regarding helping new players. Back in the day making my ship public and taking on a crew of new players was a way of helping them by giving them an opportunity for some decent gold to start out with.
On the other hand while having them aboard my ship I did expect certain courtesies such as not grabbing the wheel when I was on a cannon and only shooting targets I called in order to make the best loot and not get us sunk in the process.
If they broke those rules they got removed from crew and marooned.
That wasn't being a troll. I see that term used pretty loosely in Tlopo. In my view a troll is someone abusive in the chat or posting intentionally offensive things in order to draw a reaction. Griefers are players who go out of their way to harass or make gameplay a miserable experience for others. Trolls can be both Troll and Griefer, but not all Trolls are Griefers. Both can and should be dealt with by moderators. Since the game is now free to play with no subscriptions the environment has changed somewhat. Back in the day many of the trolls and griefers were low level players on basic free accounts simply because their main accounts were banned or they didn't want to risk their main accounts. This was part of the reason why many higher level players were cautious when it came to befriending or helping lower levels. The toxic ones should be quickly dealt with and removed no argument from me on that.

I realize that the team working on debugging the game code are all volunteers and I understand what a massive task it is to re write the entire game code. They are often unappreciated and their efforts are commendable. However it is extremely frustrating to those who cannot complete the primary quests of the game due to unresolved crash issues.

As to the whitelist and I realize that this strays from the main topic. I cannot understand why some seem to automatically assume that anyone wanting less filtration, only wants the filters turned off so they can use profanity and engage in inappropriate use of chat. By less filtration I mean fix the filters somewhat. Many cannot even type their pirate and guild names that have been approved by the game but the names aren't approved on the whitelist. Did you know that the word Day is ok but the word Days gets censored? Any innocent typos get turned into Arrr and yarrr. This sort of thing makes the system very frustrating to use.

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly agree with the whitelist/blacklist of chat being a bit much in it's current state... blacklisting the obvious words, sure. Having to request things to be whitelisted? No. Should be automatic - if the game accepts the name of the pirate or guild, that should be automatically added to the whitelist. The only spelling errors that should get Arrred or Yarrred are the ones that lead to obvious blacklist words, otherwise the misspelling should go through normally. Obviously, if a name of a pirate or guild is then reported for some reason, it can be reviewed and edited/removed if needed.

I also agree with and re-iterate that the devs should focus on, and correct, the major progress-preventing and game-playing bugs before anything else. I remember reading somewhere stating that there were two separate teams, one for fixing, and one for creating - even if it were temporary, I think the creators should be moved to helping with fixing, at least until all the high level, seriously broken stuff (white screen hard locks, major lag sources, etc) are squashed. I also think a more transparent indicator of progress on these issues would be at least a reference that devs could go to in showing how things are progressing. Something like a top 10 list of the most prioritized bugs, and a defined progress indicator (either words such as "root cause identified", "fix in testing", "fix implemented on test realm", "fix to be pushed to live with next patch"; and/or a progress bar representing this). This would give some assurance progress is being made on those issues, and could also be a means, though a vote mechanic, of up-voting certain issues, taken as a suggestion to the devs that a certain issue, to players, may feel higher priority. Since we're talking adding players and retaining players, making sure TLOPO is free of issues that would deter players should be considered paramount. New content is great, but if you don't have players to play said content because they all left due to other assorted bugs and issues means your efforts on that new content were wasted.

Maybe it was some sort of bug, Days is working without getting turned into Yarr or Arr now. Happened both yesterday and today when I tried using days in a sentence.

Nope typed it several times correctly on both occasions, day worked but days didn't. In one of the conversations after getting Arrrr and Yarrr several times I typed "The plural of day" just to get what I was trying to say across.
You might have been trying to spell it with a ‘G’ instead of a ‘D’
Don't like what you were trying to imply with this. I was NOT attempting to type anything derogatory toward anyone.

Last edited:
Again, I think this is becoming a bit to focused on filter. I do not think filter will be changed and they also can't up and remove it. If you want something whitelisted there is a post. I think there is also a post saying they won't remove the filter and such I will try to find it but could be wrong

Again, I think this is becoming a bit to focused on filter. I do not think filter will be changed and they also can't up and remove it.
Agreed and this is the last I'll say regarding the filter in this thread. I never suggested that the filter be removed, only making the chat more functional to players, such as automatically adding any approved player or guild name to the chat list. Setting it so that innocent typos weren't blocked thus making communication easier. I seem to recall in the Potco days that certain words and phrases were red flagged bringing the conversation to a moderators attention. Something like this would be useful and improve chat quality.

Back