Question McAffee Antivirus Flagging TLOPO as a Virus

Hello! Longtime lurker here making my first post. I have been playing the game for several years on my PC with no issues, but tonight for the first time, McAffee antivirus has repeatedly flagged TLOPO as a virus. I have attached a screenshot of the message it displays. If I try to relaunch, the launcher has to redownload a file. Then about ten seconds after launch, the game closes and a popup from McAfee says "We just stopped a virus,".
After hours of searching their forums, it seems like the only way to definitively resolve this issue is for the TLOPO developer to submit a ticket. I'm not sure if it is just me having this issue, but this is very strange to happen after playing for years with no problems. What can I do to resolve this?

Thank you,
Sage

I am using:
Windows 10 Home version 1903
McAffee Total Protection version 16.0 R26
TLOPO Launcher version 1.4.1

TLOPO McAfee Screenshot.PNG

I am not getting an anti virus message, but I have a new laptop and downloaded the game in May with no issues, running great. I have been playing almost everyday the past couple of weeks with no problems except a disconnect here and there while on a full public ship on abassa.
Tonight I got disconnected and when I tried to log back on the game loaded in window (always been full screen) and got to the choose your pirate screen then disconnected seconds after. This happened repeatedly. I rebooted, tried a few times and same problem.

You might try uninstalling tlopo and then reinstalling with your anti virus turned off while downloading. Then restart your computer after reinstalling and see if that helps. Restarting the computer will restart your virus protection.

You might try uninstalling tlopo and then reinstalling with your anti virus turned off while downloading. Then restart your computer after reinstalling and see if that helps. Restarting the computer will restart your virus protection.
i uninstalled the game, took mcaffee off my computer, restarted my computer and reinstalled the game. It solved the issue of being able to sign in, but now i cant get the game to fit my screen in the full screen display option. I believe the option of full screen 1280x720 is gone. Do you know if it was removed during in update?

I know some people are having problems with full screen and it has been discussed in previous posts. Look at this post and see if it helps you. Also I hope you didn't take your virus protection off your computer, I hope you just turned it off until you restarted after installation. If not get it back on your computer, everyone needs virus protection. Here is the previous post I found, hope it helps: https://piratesforums.co/threads/full-screen-glitch-windows-10.30043/#post-395247.

I know some people are having problems with full screen and it has been discussed in previous posts. Look at this post and see if it helps you. Also I hope you didn't take your virus protection off your computer, I hope you just turned it off until you restarted after installation. If not get it back on your computer, everyone needs virus protection. Here is the previous post I found, hope it helps: https://piratesforums.co/threads/full-screen-glitch-windows-10.30043/#post-395247.

Thank you so much, i will check that post and hopefully find a solution. its a bummer losing 4 whole inches off a 15 inch screen

i uninstalled the game, took mcaffee off my computer, restarted my computer and reinstalled the game. It solved the issue of being able to sign in, but now i cant get the game to fit my screen in the full screen display option. I believe the option of full screen 1280x720 is gone. Do you know if it was removed during in update?
People should uninstall Mcaffee completely and look for another virus suite if they must. Mcaffee is still being flagged as a main culprit in a whole slew of internet connectivity issues and over aggressive filtering. Been complaints for over 5 years about mcaffee. I don't know if the newest program is any better but the complaints are still topical.

One thing to try is to turn off internet, disable or totally uninstall their virus suite, then go online and let windows defender or mac inhouse firewall run while downloading and installing the newest tlopo launcher and try to run Tlopo. If you get into the game, then you can go back and try to reinstall your suite, it should then recognize the newest tlopo launcher and or ask you to give it permissions and it should stay that way until any other issues come up. Virus programs seem to have a hard time recognizing new Tlopo launchers. The virus and firewall need to be set to always recognize Tlopo files.

Also the link about the screensize has worked for many people.

People should uninstall Mcaffee completely and look for another virus suite if they must. Mcaffee is still being flagged as a main culprit in a whole slew of internet connectivity issues and over aggressive filtering. Been complaints for over 5 years about mcaffee. I don't know if the newest program is any better but the complaints are still topical.

One thing to try is to turn off internet, disable or totally uninstall their virus suite, then go online and let windows defender or mac inhouse firewall run while downloading and installing the newest tlopo launcher and try to run Tlopo. If you get into the game, then you can go back and try to reinstall your suite, it should then recognize the newest tlopo launcher and or ask you to give it permissions and it should stay that way until any other issues come up. Virus programs seem to have a hard time recognizing new Tlopo launchers. The virus and firewall need to be set to always recognize Tlopo files.

Is there any antivirus software that you'd recommend besides for Mcaffee?

Malia, I'm sorry, but I haven't used an active stand alone virus program in decades. I use firewalls and weekly scans by free programs like Malwarebytes. Personally I run a tight ship and have very little running in the background so I'm not up on todays topical scanners. I just know from people I know and lots of reading plus direct experience with mcaffee products being problematic. Since mcaffee sold his programs off a few years ago I still see issues of troubleshooting that program and it's updating all the time. But maybe it's gotten better. And I don't mean the virus libraries either. Those should be updated at least weekly.

Thank you. Yes I h

Thank you. Yes i have heard of many issues with Mcaffee but against my better judgement, i didnt uninstall as soon as i got this computer.
If off my computer now and im using Windows Defender, which im hoping is sufficient.

The link for the screensize issue has worked for me, im so happy!

Thank you for your help!!

Thank you. Yes I h

Thank you. Yes i have heard of many issues with Mcaffee but against my better judgement, i didnt uninstall as soon as i got this computer.
If off my computer now and im using Windows Defender, which im hoping is sufficient.

The link for the screensize issue has worked for me, im so happy!

Thank you for your help!!
YW.
But if you must reinstall a virus suite because you feel more comfortable, then you would have to most likely figure out through the virus program how to give Tlopo.exe, and launcher.exe permissions and exclusions and the program will need to recongnize Tlopo other files as well.
GL.

Last edited:
If you pick a virus protection that says it has blocked some files it usually gives you the option at that time to unblock them. Do that if you run into any problems with the tlopo files.

Same thing has been happening to me with the same threat name. Tried re-installing, updated the computer, restarted, nothing seems to be working 🤷‍♀️
Hopefully I can figure out where to unblock the file from McAfee's most-wanted list!

Alrighty I think I may have figured it out:
I went to my McAfee program, selected the settings on the upper right hand corner, and in the drop down I click on "Quarantined Items".
I then selected the specific threat and clicked restore.
So far I can now log in and play! I'll update if it doesn't end up working but I think its good now.

Alrighty I think I may have figured it out:
I went to my McAfee program, selected the settings on the upper right hand corner, and in the drop down I click on "Quarantined Items".
I then selected the specific threat and clicked restore.
So far I can now log in and play! I'll update if it doesn't end up working but I think its good now.
The quick fix is no longer working for me, not sure how to proceed

Ello Ev'ry one!
@Malia it strongly depends on what OS your currently running.
If your running windows 10, windows defender has worked fine for me for years. just dont ignore it when it tells you something is off until you have researched it and KNOW that it is not infected. but then thats every antivirus weak point. uneducated exceptions making.
if using older than windows 10, (windows 8 or 7) please upgrade to windows 10. its free still you just have to know how.

(Disclaimer: this only works if you have an activated copy of windows 7 or 8.1 installed already and will not work if using a trial license or an unactivated copy or an older version.
download media creation tool from their website, create iso file or USB installer, open the finished media like any other folder and run setup.exe, manually change the updates options to the equivilent of "dont install now", and dont change the option to keep everything, run updates as soon as you get back to your desktop in both the windows store and the windows updates section)

if you are incapable of performing the above for one reason or another or simply do not want to do the sane thing and keep updated, i personally prefer bitdefender antifirus free. its light, small, and very effective in my personal experience, couple that with malwarebytes manual scans once a week and your security settings are shaping up nicely.

if your using MacOS, i still recomend bit defender. (yes macs get viruses too, and the MacOS viruses get much worse way quicker when you encounter them) unfortunately bitdefender for macOS is not free. you will need to pay but its not a crazy amount. like $60 per year. thats the same price as 1 year of Microsoft 365 personal. (i also highly recomend. i didnt always agree with myself there until i tried it and its been the best thing ive ever done. if you disagree, you are not a normal use case and/or have not done enough research and you need to try the 1 month free trial if you have not already done so)

back to topic, TL,DR :
use built in windows defender if using windows 10, if not, get it, see instructions above, or use bitdefender antivirus free and malwarebytes free. if using MacOS buy bitdefender or take your chances with another solution. I also revealed that Im a Windows 10 and Microsoft 365 fan.

Ello Ev'ry one!
@Malia it strongly depends on what OS your currently running.
If your running windows 10, windows defender has worked fine for me for years. just dont ignore it when it tells you something is off until you have researched it and KNOW that it is not infected. but then thats every antivirus weak point. uneducated exceptions making.
if using older than windows 10, (windows 8 or 7) please upgrade to windows 10. its free still you just have to know how.

(Disclaimer: this only works if you have an activated copy of windows 7 or 8.1 installed already and will not work if using a trial license or an unactivated copy or an older version.
download media creation tool from their website, create iso file or USB installer, open the finished media like any other folder and run setup.exe, manually change the updates options to the equivilent of "dont install now", and dont change the option to keep everything, run updates as soon as you get back to your desktop in both the windows store and the windows updates section)

if you are incapable of performing the above for one reason or another or simply do not want to do the sane thing and keep updated, i personally prefer bitdefender antifirus free. its light, small, and very effective in my personal experience, couple that with malwarebytes manual scans once a week and your security settings are shaping up nicely.

if your using MacOS, i still recomend bit defender. (yes macs get viruses too, and the MacOS viruses get much worse way quicker when you encounter them) unfortunately bitdefender for macOS is not free. you will need to pay but its not a crazy amount. like $60 per year. thats the same price as 1 year of Microsoft 365 personal. (i also highly recomend. i didnt always agree with myself there until i tried it and its been the best thing ive ever done. if you disagree, you are not a normal use case and/or have not done enough research and you need to try the 1 month free trial if you have not already done so)

back to topic, TL,DR :
use built in windows defender if using windows 10, if not, get it, see instructions above, or use bitdefender antivirus free and malwarebytes free. if using MacOS buy bitdefender or take your chances with another solution. I also revealed that Im a Windows 10 and Microsoft 365 fan.
Actually, you read more like a microsoft sales rep. lol. But the post was informative nonetheless.
A little advice to readers who are looking to download the free win10, Now that it's near end of life already and it's still free like mr. imnotjack wrote only if you have the legal-license OS installed. The advice is to do a thorough inventory of all your favorite 3rd party programs you use and make sure you have their install media or their install programs setup files and save them separate of the drive win10 will install to. Or at least have the website written down.

The reason being is microsoft will have you literally uninstalling a bunch of programs it thinks isn't compatible with micro-kings royal software. It's much cheaper for microsoft to have you delete your personal programs that may not run with win10 than for them to keep bloating the OS with every driver and api on the planet and also make the OS look stupid if it chokes on a video driver. It makes sense in a corporate way. But anyways, I have found that 9 out of the 10 programs microsoft ordered me to remove, work fine when reinstalled after the win10 install. The last one in compatibility mode.

The upgrade will not even continue if you don't remove whatever irks it. And then strangle Cortana the full time spy after install. microsoft doesn't need to know what time your children go to bed or if you play tlopo.

And microsoft is turning into apple by the month.

@squintz
lol funny you should say i read like a sales rep for them. in my previous job i actually worked for a Microsoft store as a "service advisor" aka sales rep that knows more things than the regular reps. i loved that job. only changed companies because i get to work from home now lol. the more money didnt hurt either.

and windows 10 supposedly isnt going anywhere. its intended to be iterative updates forever from here on out.

Back