Discussion New Material Types

Thomas Sailskull

Honorable Pirate
Anyone else notice this in their materials pouch?
_31eff0f3bd7122c980bd048c0700fe79-png.jpg

Maybe it's that sweet sweet potions overhaul we were talking about...

I'd like to add to the whole "most people never potions ever" thing. It's ridiculous. You can only carry so many, and they give you maybe a 5 minute buff, tops. Who is going to craft a bunch of potions, go to Tormenta or Outcast, and then once they run out of buffs in 15 minutes say "okay I'm going back to Padres to craft more potions".

The whole point of consumable buffs is to allow you to get your job done faster. But consider all the time wasted in the example above - you would get more rep and loot just by not going back to craft more potions. This effectively renders potions useless in such cases, and most people know it. Therefore the only reason people ever craft potions is to level up, or to use the "goofy potions" @Crashalot mentions (the goofy ones are fine, those are for social environments).

My recommendation to overhaul potions is instead of requiring a potions table, you can craft them anywhere. However, you have to loot ingredients. You could still be limited to holding a small amount of the potions and their ingredients, but this way you could occasionally gather enough ingredients and actually craft a potion while grinding, which makes them not so useless anymore, while not allowing pirates to be using their buffs 100% of the time.

Whether or not you would still include the current "minigame" doesn't matter so much to me, you could just allow the player to craft the potion with a simple animation and a short wait once they get the ingredients. This would also allow players to level up their potion making naturally as they progress through the game, instead of the dreaded "ugh I have to grind potions today". It also opens the possibility to add awesome new potions (or modify existing ones) based on the rarity of their looted ingredients!

Of course, overhauling a system is a little overkill for the team at this stage. They have more important things to take care of. But I'm just saying, that's how I would implement potions.

Note: The ingredients could be stored like ship materials! Feast your eyes on my lazy photoshop skills!
Ms7iNhU.png

The descriptions are interesting.

The first refers to being a common item. Maybe found killing basic skeletons?
The second does refer to trading.
The third refers to powerful voodoo. Maybe found killing boss skeletons or taking down Jolly during invasions?

The descriptions are interesting.

The first refers to being a common item. Maybe found killing basic skeletons?
The second does refer to trading.
The third refers to powerful voodoo. Maybe found killing boss skeletons or taking down Jolly during invasions?
I can't play right now. Can we get images/transcriptions of the descriptions?

Back