Discussion People who purposely block your ship

I've been griefed around 5 times today where a ship would just stop in front of me with around 5 hunters and warships to purposely get me sunk. I've probably lost around 15000 worth of gold because of this stupidity.

Is there any way to report these kinds of people? This is getting more and more common nowadays, at least in my experience.

EDIT: Sorry. I meant open sea battles with mat runs etc.

Last edited:
I've been griefed around 5 times today where a ship would just stop in front of me with around 5 hunters and warships to purposely get me sunk. I've probably lost around 15000 worth of gold because of this stupidity.

Is there any way to report these kinds of people? This is getting more and more common nowadays, at least in my experience.
You said in SvS but it doesn't sound like your talking about SvS to me.

In SvS that is totally legal and fine. They are stopping you and fighting your ship which is the point of SvS.

If your talking about just on the open oceans a lot of people who "stop your ship" aren't doing it to greif you. They are trying to fight the ships your fighting and are getting glitched or going to slow.

Just because they stop next to you doesn't mean they're griefing. They are doing nothing wrong. There is no reason to report them.

Griefer: "player in a multiplayer video game who deliberately irritates and angers other players within the game, using aspects of the game in unintended ways."

I'd say if they're purposely parking their ship in front of someone else's to stop them, it's griefing.

If you are talking about mass ship battles in open ocean, that can get dicey sometimes. My strategy is typically, if someone is trailing a bounty hunter and/or warship, I make wider circles, stay out of their pattern or path and assist in sinking those ships. If I'm personally trailing a bounty hunter and/or warship, I use the strategic patterns that I've learned to sink them, even if no one else is aboard to man cannons. It is my hope that others will show me the courtesy that I've showed them. The purpose of those, after all, is to work together to sink as many of the mat-carrying ships as possible... That should be a team effort... Sadly there is occasionally someone that just sails erratically and causes 'pile ups' that can result in taking an unfortunate broadside from an enemy ship... And also sadly there are times that overlapping patterns can't be avoided... But I've never shown malice in sailing. Just trying to work with others to get a hull full of mats and head back to shore. :)

Last edited:
If you are talking about mass ship battles in open ocean, that can get dicey sometimes. My strategy is typically, if someone is trailing a bounty hunter and/or warship, I make wider circles, stay out of their pattern or path and assist in sinking those ships. If I'm personally trailing a bounty hunter and/or warship, I use the strategic patterns that I've learned to sink them, even if no one else is aboard to man cannons. It is my hope that others will show me the courtesy that I've showed them. The purpose of those, after all, is to work together to sink as many of the mat-carrying ships as possible... That should be a team effort... Sadly there are occasionally someone that just sails erratically and causes 'pile ups' that can result in taking an unfortunate broadside from an enemy ship... And also sadly there are times that overlapping patterns can't be avoided... But I've never shown malice in sailing. Just trying to work with others to get a hull full of mats and head back to shore. :)
These kinds of things are exactly why we need an ocean chat. Then we can talk to players strategically and we know who is "greifing" and who just got stuck or accidently got in front of you.

One of the big problems in sailing (not SVS mind you) is that a captain is sailing his ship and doesn't even see the other player's ships many times. All they see are the enemy ships, meandering about, waiting to be broadsided.
So they stop in front of it and shoot it, as any captain would, unaware that you and your ship are now blocked, as they are invisible. Why ships are "invisible" in the game is beyond me, but it is a problem.
Now I'm not saying it's the only reason the problem mentioned above happens, but it is a big factor.
Of course there are many players who could care less if another player sinks, as long as they get their shots in.
My advice is to consider the problems in sailing as aspects of the game that one must learn to deal with and adapt.
You'll never be able to prove that someone was griefing you on the high seas.

Griefer: "player in a multiplayer video game who deliberately irritates and angers other players within the game, using aspects of the game in unintended ways."

I'd say if they're purposely parking their ship in front of someone else's to stop them, it's griefing.
You seem to throw out "griefing" very liberally. You don't get to control where someone else parks their ship.

I don't see how being able to stop your ship wherever you want is "unintended" at all.

Perhaps you were looking for this site?

To everyone, my mistake - I meant open sea battles with mat runs. I'm sure that this was deliberate and intentional because I've had the same ship get mine sunk at least 3 times. This has happened before as an accident, but now people are doing it on purpose and it frustrates me alot.

There's an easy solution if ye spot another player's ship pursued by hunters leave him alone, the hunters are his problem and the same is valid for us, if they cant take the heat just get at a public ship, everyone should sink its own hunter and the problems would be gone.

Regardless of whether it was SVS or regular sailing, a good captain does not allow himself (or herself) get into those situations. I suggest becoming better at assessing your situation and avoiding those types of collisions. Also consider upgrading your ship with more armor for those times when you do get stuck between ships. It happens to all of us at some point.

You seem to throw out "griefing" very liberally. You don't get to control where someone else parks their ship.

I don't see how being able to stop your ship wherever you want is "unintended" at all.

That definition of griefing was misleading. It's not talking about unintentional game mechanics, it's about players performing actions unintended by the developers. Stopping your ship anywhere is an intentional mechanic, but stopping your ship in front of other random players (especially in groups) is griefing, as that's an action that annoys other players which was unintended by the developers.

However, in the case of this thread, everyone here is wrong. The problem isn't his inability to sail, nor the other person's inability to sail, nor the other person trying to intentionally impede him. The issue is the severe desync on sailing. The other player might actually be trying to stop to prevent a collision. On his screen, it looks like he's making the right decision. But on OP's screen it doesn't look that way at all. This happens all the time in cluster sailing especially, but even in simple two-ship passing it can result in some ridiculous collisions.

That definition of griefing was misleading. It's not talking about unintentional game mechanics, it's about players performing actions unintended by the developers. Stopping your ship anywhere is an intentional mechanic, but stopping your ship in front of other random players (especially in groups) is griefing, as that's an action that annoys other players which was unintended by the developers.

However, in the case of this thread, everyone here is wrong. The problem isn't his inability to sail, nor the other person's inability to sail, nor the other person trying to intentionally impede him. The issue is the severe desync on sailing. The other player might actually be trying to stop to prevent a collision. On his screen, it looks like he's making the right decision. But on OP's screen it doesn't look that way at all. This happens all the time in cluster sailing especially, but even in simple two-ship passing it can result in some ridiculous collisions.
This is why I stand by the idea, that, until it's fixed, collision physics are temporarily removed for player ships in SvE. Then you'll only be able to collide with AI and islands. Just my 2 cents

Awww :( I know it can be frustrating to sink especially when you have a nice haul full of mats and loot.

There's a lot of factors you have to think of, like lag for one. Lag makes for a lot of unintentional moves. We occasionally freeze up out there and find ourselves stuck in the middle of the cluster. The hunters and warships didn't lag and the next thing you know you're surrounded and can't move.. and then BAM you're in jail. Also, a lot of people are preoccupied while playing. Some are multitasking watching Youtube or videos or texting or whatever they do.

It's a zoo out there, but it's fun! I'd like to think that no one is trying to make your ship sink deliberately.
I hope your sinking days are over. Have fun mate! ;)

Oh well, just learn to deal with it and whether or not they're intentionally/unintentionally doing it they're probably having fun playing the game. Some players enjoy making others mad by making their ships sink, but instead of focusing on that small factor when playing the game, focus on the "big picture" and just have fun.

I don't advocate nor do I agree with what some of these people do, as I have encountered it myself, however there's no reason to focus all your energy and willpower on trying to do something about it because the reality is: what can you really do to prevent it? It's some people's innate human nature to do the things they do and be the way they are, but it's up to you whether or not you want those individuals to be a part of your experience or not.

Occasionally I'll get the Light Sloop intentionally turning into my ship while I try desperately to avoid a Battle Royale broadside, trying everything in my power to avoid sinking and in the moment internally screaming at the sloop to get out of the way; however, one has to realize that it's a part of the experience of being a pirate -- dealing with the slums of the Earth. :)

It's unintended to be a way to troll and annoy other people. If I'm trying to get somewhere and you abruptly stop right in front of my ship, you are griefing. End of story.

Back