Discussion People who purposely block your ship

In the sprawling brawls that encircle Padres, I've come to expect some other pirates simply can't drive. However, I'm sure I've stopped up the water works sometimes by accident. I know on more than one occasion in the middle of mass combat to accidentally hit the lower sails key (S) or Down Arrow. Unfortunately, this means having to get back up to speed while the battle swirls all around.

I will say that since I tend to circle the mayhem, I try to look ahead for potential collisions as best as possible but sometimes they can't be helped. BUT, if you're sailing and you collide with someone - HITTING FULL SAIL or RAMMING SPEED doesn't really help the situation. STOP, turn away... then hit the Full Sail otherwise you're just making it worse.

But, I have seen those who find humor in continually trying to block or block out another player. In POTCO of course, you had hackers who sunk non-SVS ships with impunity, too. So, those types of players are left with this option.

Blocking was something some of us used to use against kill stealers. It got somewhat common in the original that a newer pirate would swing in behind a warship, throw a couple of shots in order to claim loot from ships they couldn't have taken on their own. A form of payback was to sail through groups of warships and not fire. If you were high enough level, they wouldn't aggro after you. But, they would turn on the stealer's smaller ship. Then, blocking their exit forward, you let the NPC ships do the job.

Except in that example, you are operating within a closed system where you have the power to exclude others if you so choose. In the game, on the seas, you have no right to tell people what they can and can't do with their own ship.

Actually no, you don't have a right to exclude others from a soccer game in a PUBLIC park. You would have no authority at a public park to force me to leave. The police might, yeah. But you wouldn't as a normal citizen.

Actually no, you don't have a right to exclude others from a soccer game in a PUBLIC park. You would have no authority at a public park to force me to leave. The police might, yeah. But you wouldn't as a normal citizen.
Exactly, you have no right on the high seas, a public place, to tell people where they can or cannot go. I don't see why it's so hard to understand.

You say that if they are "interfering with your game experience" it is not allowed, but how do you define this? Every time I run into someone I can say they are interfering with my experience and should be banned.

This isn't your bubble.

So how would you?
To prove in a rigorous mathematical sense I agree it may be impossible but to prove to the satisfaction of a court of law seems very possible. In the case of a single incident I would think it also impossible however game video showing a repeated pattern of a ship blocking and making no attempt to turn away and/or even countering others attempts to turn away would seem proof enough for almost anyone.

Exactly, you have no right on the high seas, a public place, to tell people where they can or cannot go. I don't see why it's so hard to understand.

You say that if they are "interfering with your game experience" it is not allowed, but how do you define this? Every time I run into someone I can say they are interfering with my experience and should be banned.

This isn't your bubble.

You still can't seem to grasp this simple concept. Just because you have the ability to do something, does NOT mean it's okay to do it. Yeah, you absolutely can go around stopping in front of people's ships because mommy and daddy don't give you enough attention, so you have to troll on a video game. But if a mod is on a ship and sees you intentionally block somebody's ship, they can absolutely kick you from the game for that as it's intentionally interfering with other people's experience.

You still can't seem to grasp this simple concept. Just because you have the ability to do something, does NOT mean it's okay to do it. Yeah, you absolutely can go around stopping in front of people's ships because mommy and daddy don't give you enough attention, so you have to troll on a video game. But if a mod is on a ship and sees you intentionally block somebody's ship, they can absolutely kick you from the game for that as it's intentionally interfering with other people's experience.
You still failed to answer my question. How do you define "intentionally interfering"? Where is the line drawn? How do you know if something was intentional or not? In this situation, how do you know which ship was blocking?

If I am sailing along, and I see someone in my path, by your twisted ideology I would have to change course to avoid blocking them. Does that not mean that they are interfering with my gaming experience?

When someone comes to Loot a ship I'm sinking I have No Issue In Blocking them , They want what's free to be taken and I don't see It their way Is all !!! I'm not talking quest required ships and since there's been plenty added It's not the ship they're after , It's the Free loot of not being hit !

You still failed to answer my question. How do you define "intentionally interfering"? Where is the line drawn? How do you know if something was intentional or not? In this situation, how do you know which ship was blocking?

If I am sailing along, and I see someone in my path, by your twisted ideology I would have to change course to avoid blocking them. Does that not mean that they are interfering with my gaming experience?

You're missing the intentional part here. There's a difference between deliberately doing it and doing it on accident. If I'm on a ship and the captain says "watch this LOL im about to block them"... and then he/she parks their ship in front of somebody and keeps doing it, it's pretty obvious that it's intentional. That alone would be enough evidence to kick them. And it would be completely justified.

You're missing the intentional part here. There's a difference between deliberately doing it and doing it on accident. If I'm on a ship and the captain says "watch this LOL im about to block them"... and then he/she parks their ship in front of somebody and keeps doing it, it's pretty obvious that it's intentional. That alone would be enough evidence to kick them. And it would be completely justified.
Ok, so what about cases where it is not outright stated and completely obvious because they said they were doing it?

There is no "brotherhood" of pirates, just like there's no loyalty among thieves.
To the victor go the spoils.
Any pirate landing a shot on any enemy vessel will share in the loot when that vessel sinks.
Therefore, many/most pirates will tend to try and land shots on enemy vessels, opting in many cases for those already under attack, as they offer rewards faster.
That's why mat parties exist.
If you sail a mat party, there's gonna be a downside; other pirates.
The best way to avoid other pirates is by not sailing with them.
It's every pirate for themselves out there!

i've had this same problem, while there are some that can not help it, there are a large group that purposely cuts you off in the water, unfortunately i don't think it's a good reason to report someone, try to throw it over your shoulder and just keep in mind that karma isn't a very nice person and sooner or later they will get what is coming to them...

I've been griefed around 5 times today where a ship would just stop in front of me with around 5 hunters and warships to purposely get me sunk. I've probably lost around 15000 worth of gold because of this stupidity.

Is there any way to report these kinds of people? This is getting more and more common nowadays, at least in my experience.

EDIT: Sorry. I meant open sea battles with mat runs etc.

Tonight I sat back in my little ship and watched a group of about 5 ships purposely sinking other pirate ships. You cant tell me they didn't know what they were doing or it was lag. For about 20 min, this group followed anyone that came to join and would stay in a group and soon the poor ship that was there, to join in and have a good mat party slowly sank. so I got a few other friends to join in the viewing and soon these sinkers were off to dock... follow them? why yes we did all the way to where ever they had to dock at.. ALL OF THEM CAME FROM 1 GUILD!!!

Do keep in mind that what you see, and what they see are different. Generally, you see other ships about a second or so behind what they actually are, and vice versa. This means while it may seem to you like they blocking you on your screen, on their screen they have already passed you by, and it looks like you are driving against an invisible wall.

I found myself sailing up against invisible walls all night yesterday, only to realize it was another pirate ship after breaking free from the barrier, as they were all completely invisible beforehand.
And due to lag and other issues, I found myself shooting at ships that had either already sunk or were half an ocean away by the time my broadsides landed.

I have found that many will park right in the middle of the fleet and cause a log jam (of sorts). I try to stay to the outsides of the fleet to keep from getting trapped, but sometimes when the fleet is so fluid and is constantly moving it can't be helped. When this happens I try to pick a line and get back to the outside.

Do keep in mind that what you see, and what they see are different. Generally, you see other ships about a second or so behind what they actually are, and vice versa. This means while it may seem to you like they blocking you on your screen, on their screen they have already passed you by, and it looks like you are driving against an invisible wall.

I watched this from an outside view, I wasnt in the middle of it, but seeing these same ships for the last few days do this, is what made me sit back and really look. Believe me ive been sailing along minding my business and bam there is someone ship in front of me, and when that happens I try to move, go around, get out of the way, I do not call my guild mates to join me in this invisible mess. And believe me if this was my first time seeing this from any view I would never be so quick to judge. But after a few days of seeing these "accident sinkings and accidental targetings" Ya just gotta wonder " are there really people playing this game that are so intent on being bullies?" Well last night I think Igot my answer,

Back