Pictures For Basil

piratesbackground.jpg
Here it is. I know it must be bad. Any pointers from John or jade?

EXCELLENT! You have accelerated from O to 100 mph in 3 days! You live up to your name! :D
And you are just going to get better and better. Must be tricky to put all blue sections in there ...

Alright, you wanna hear this, ready? I'm a 'perfectionist' when it comes to designing (and you don't have to be ... ). There are some white spots around Basil on the left? Must be coming from where you cut out his image from the background. If you did it in layers, I'd clean those out, just because your bg is blue, and they are showing. But you don't have to, since YouTube has a lot of text, icons and ads, they may not be obvious to viewer.

Also it's a matter of practice of cutting out the images in order not to show a lot of white parts ... John did great job and I'd have to ask him how he put the image of Eric on a transparent background so that no white lines show around your pirate.

Other than that, you did a great job! :woot: Now it's time for a test-drive on the real site!

EXCELLENT! You have accelerated from O to 100 mph in 3 days! You live up to your name! :D
And you are just going to get better and better. Must be tricky to put all blue sections in there ...

Alright, you wanna hear this, ready? I'm a 'perfectionist' when it comes to designing (and you don't have to be ... ). There are some white spots around Basil on the left? Must be coming from where you cut out his image from the background. If you did it in layers, I'd clean those out, just because your bg is blue, and they are showing. But you don't have to, since YouTube has a lot of text, icons and ads, they may not be obvious to viewer.

Also it's a matter of practice of cutting out the images in order not to show a lot of white parts ... John did great job and I'd have to ask him how he put the image of Eric on a transparent background so that no white lines show around your pirate.

Other than that, you did a great job! :woot: Now it's time for a test-drive on the real site!

Thanks, I would like to Know how to get it Transparent.... May be easier for me
EDIT (Mar 11, 2011 at 7:33 AM):
I would highly suggest cleaning up some of the white around Basil with the sword. If you saved it as an .xcf you can go back since .xcf does not compress all the layers into one.

Thanks, It gets a little hard when the Pic gets pixelated
EDIT (Mar 11, 2011 at 7:34 AM):
I would highly suggest cleaning up some of the white around Basil with the sword. If you saved it as an .xcf you can go back since .xcf does not compress all the layers into one.

You are going to 'hate' for this ... because I'm going to make you 're-do' the process. Here is what I'd do:

1. After you crop your pirate out from the big background, don't worry about cutting him out meticulously from the background. As long as you have most of the big chunks out, you're fine.

2. Go to your main file, create a new layer (using Menu: Layer on top, then "new layer"). Then go back to your pirate file, using your "rectangle select tool", select/draw a window across your pirate to pick that image, click. Then Menu:Edit on top, "copy".

3. Now go back to your main file, and make sure you are in the brand new layer that you have just created. Hit Menu:Edit on top, "paste". Then you can clean up the excess background of your pirate. Why are we doing this? Because your brand new layer is always transparent. That way you can clearly see which part that you need to clean up around your pirate.

Try it and see if it works, it worked on my end.
EDIT (Mar 11, 2011 at 1:22 PM):

Not everybody has as good of a computer as yours, dear ... even when the graphic card is very good, the file from Potco is always in a jpg format (meaning it is a "bitmap" type of graphic, comprised of millions of tiny bits. Unlike a vector graphic, which is based on shapes/vectors). So when you zoom all the way in, you will always see tons of little squares ... each with its own color.

The thing is, in reality you will not see your image as if you zoom it in like that. Your image is going to be tiny on the YouTube background anyways ... so nobody really can tell the little bitmaps. But of course if you want to meticulously clean up your image, you will have to do the best you can removing bitmaps that don't belong to your image. So don't worry too much about it, just zoom all the way in, do the best you can to clean up, and you'll be fine.

Remember, that you'll get a steady hand by practice, a lot of it, just like everything else if you want to master something in life.

Perfect! :)

What is your image size? It confuses me that it seems like the "pixel" size is not related to the "document" size. I saw some YouTube backgrounds out there that had 11 x 22 inches (document size) or 110000 x 220000 inches but the same pixel size. I'll have to figure this out later.

Back