Do you agree with my Solutions?

• Yes.

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • No.

Votes: 22 36.7%
  • Not exactly...

Votes: 24 40.0%

• Total voters
Why would I fight red tag enemies that are harder. When I can fight red tag enemies that I can one shot, and drop the same loot?
Has it ever been your experience that lower LVL enemies drop the same loot as higher ones? Of course the loot would not be equal. Really I think I would fight red tag enemies for the challenge regardless of the loot but that is not the way to balance the game. Weapons and enemy specialization are what I would like to see. I think Chris' idea is perfect.
Or they could add legitimate resistances finally. it would be great to see clothing items that give some form of resistance to certain types or damage and especially nice to see enemies that are resistant to certain types of damage some that are downright immune and some that take bonus damage from certain damage types

Don't think many of you recall How long It took Disney to Up the Max to L50 / 30 ! I had already trashed 12 pirates maxed at 40 / 25 before Disney gave a Hoot to Old timers and Not just New members ! I don't really care if someone can ONE shot a Foe ! It's their Loss Not mine ! I don't max my weapons til they reach L30 ! In Theory this all sounds great for all the L50's Maxed but remember there's a lot of New Comers coming aboard !

Has it ever been your experience that lower LVL enemies drop the same loot as higher ones? Of course the loot would not be equal. Really I think I would fight red tag enemies for the challenge regardless of the loot but that is not the way to balance the game. Weapons and enemy specialization are what I would like to see. I think Chris' idea is perfect.
Don't think many of you recall How long It took Disney to Up the Max to L50 / 30 ! I had already trashed 12 pirates maxed at 40 / 25 before Disney gave a Hoot to Old timers and Not just New members ! I don't really care if someone can ONE shot a Foe ! It's their Loss Not mine ! I don't max my weapons til they reach L30 ! In Theory this all sounds great for all the L50's Maxed but remember there's a lot of New Comers coming aboard !
Once again, I am speaking in a looter viewpoint. Not so much just a causal gamer's view.

I like your ideas! I also understand a lot of folks reasoning behind not wanting anything changed.

A lot of old pirates are creatures of habit, and you won't want to rock their boat. Some of us would like more challenging and more difficult battles, and some of these tweaks made.

It would be nice if there was somehow a difficulty level we could set our pirate at! (I know it's probably not possible) but wouldn't that be a cool concept? If you just want to chill and loot, the difficulty level would be easy as usual.. (lol) and then when you want a challenge, you could set your difficulty level on spicy! :D

I like your ideas! I also understand a lot of folks reasoning behind not wanting anything changed.

A lot of old pirates are creatures of habit, and you won't want to rock their boat. Some of us would like more challenging and more difficult battles, and some of these tweaks made.

It would be nice if there was somehow a difficulty level we could set our pirate at! (I know it's probably not possible) but wouldn't that be a cool concept? If you just want to chill and loot, the difficulty level would be easy as usual.. (lol) and then when you want a challenge, you could set your difficulty level on spicy! :D
A lot of people could abuse this system and do in games like RIFT. It's a good idea in theory, but when applied into a MMO it does not work so well sadly.

I don't think this issue is due to weapon damage or healing. I previously mentioned this in another thread - I think the underlying issue is tied to POTCOs core mechanics. Bear in mind that the game was designed with simplicity in mind, to suit all age groups and prevent certain individuals to be at a disadvantage.

POTCO was never a challenging game, all that was/is required to master everything and loot everything is time and patience. As we all know, once your pirate has everything you need: the sense of challenge and the need to unlock new items is lost. The game is simply too two-dimensional and simplistic that attempting to associate it with the word "challenging" alone is egregiously mind-numbing.

Your solutions aren't bad, however they are not enough. If you would like to turn it into a "whole" and more complex game (similar to the more prominent and challenging MMORPGs), this complexity needs to be added in multiple other forms and levels other than combat. More features such as proper guild management, node progression, much larger islands, crafting, housing and trading have to be implemented. There also needs to be a complete overhaul to enemy AI, exp leveling thresholds, weapon skillsets and the combat mechanics. Unless all of the above is achieved, I don't expect to see it becoming challenging anytime soon.

There's also another issue involved - what if the devs suddenly decide to go with the solutions you're suggesting, what do you propose we do with all the people who mastered their weapons and earned all the loot possible? And how will the others who still haven't mastered their weapons feel regarding the changes? Part of the user base might accept these changes and the other part might become upset.

Personally, I don't think turning POTCO into a challenging game is possible. Unless your definition of challenging varies from mine, as I usually think of larger MMOs in this aspect.

So to sum it up: Regardless of however you may vary the damage or healing values. The fact that the game is too simple to become challenging will always overshadow the feeling of a "challenge"; a plethora of other changes will have to be made for it to be challenging. However, I'm looking forward to any other threads you post regarding this situation. ;)

I don't think this issue is due to weapon damage or healing. I previously mentioned this in another thread - I think the underlying issue is tied to POTCOs core mechanics. Bear in mind that the game was designed with simplicity in mind, to suit all age groups and prevent certain individuals to be at a disadvantage.

POTCO was never a challenging game, all that was/is required to master everything and loot everything is time and patience. As we all know, once your pirate has everything you need: the sense of challenge and the need to unlock new items is lost. The game is simply too two-dimensional and simplistic that attempting to associate it with the word "challenging" alone is egregiously mind-numbing.

Your solutions aren't bad, however they are not enough. If you would like to turn it into a "whole" and more complex game (similar to the more prominent and challenging MMORPGs), this complexity needs to be added in multiple other forms and levels other than combat. More features such as proper guild management, node progression, much larger islands, crafting, housing and trading have to be implemented. There also needs to be a complete overhaul to enemy AI, exp leveling thresholds, weapon skillsets and the combat mechanics. Unless all of the above is achieved, I don't expect to see it becoming challenging anytime soon.

There's also another issue involved - what if the devs suddenly decide to go with the solutions you're suggesting, what do you propose we do with all the people who mastered their weapons and earned all the loot possible? And how will the others who still haven't mastered their weapons feel regarding the changes? Part of the user base might accept these changes and the other part might become upset.

Personally, I don't think turning POTCO into a challenging game is possible. Unless your definition of challenging varies from mine, as I usually think of larger MMOs in this aspect.

So to sum it up: Regardless of however you may vary the damage or healing values. The fact that the game is too simple to become challenging will always overshadow the feeling of a "challenge"; a plethora of other changes will have to be made for it to be challenging. However, I'm looking forward to any other threads you post regarding this situation. ;)
You must have misread my point above... I do NOT want to overhaul the whole game. I just want to get the game's weapons to the point they don't one shot. They at max two shot at most, I really do understand what you mean about the game not meat to be competitive in the aspect of combat. As well as the argument that it was my for children made above, which I am trying to avoid repeating.

We all want the game to be the same as POTCO however, we can all agree we would like to see some slight adjustments to the game? The points I make above are just a few ideas of tweaks, not re-hauling the game. I just don't think the game should be set up as it is now to ONE SHOT everything. I'm not asking to make a bunch of game breaking changes like removing weapons or add them in total. I just want the game to a balanced point that the devs intended rather than the state it is now... I want it to progress with the community so it does not die once again. As I said, I NO NOT want the devs to just take my ideas and make it happen. I honestly want to hear what the community has to say about them and how they feel about the changes before taking them into consideration. As the game was not made for the growing age group that we are today.

Thank you Punkin
Since I'm older than old pirates. There is one thing not yet working, more like it in dry dock. Remember the warning about digging? It is rare to none, for an undead to attack. I never dig for loot at Rat Nest, now it easy. Maybe we should remember what made this game hard for you, novice pirate. For the novice to be appears, as you are now founder as I was Mateys.

You must have misread my point above... I do NOT want to overhaul the whole game. I just want to get the game's weapons to the point they don't one shot. They at max two shot at most, I really do understand what you mean about the game not meat to be competitive in the aspect of combat. As well as the argument that it was my for children made above, which I am trying to avoid repeating.

We all want the game to be the same as POTCO however, we can all agree we would like to see some slight adjustments to the game? The points I make above are just a few ideas of tweaks, not re-hauling the game. I just don't think the game should be set up as it is now to ONE SHOT everything. I'm not asking to make a bunch of game breaking changes like removing weapons or add them in total. I just want the game to a balanced point that the devs intended rather than the state it is now... I want it to progress with the community so it does not die once again. As I said, I NO NOT want the devs to just take my ideas and make it happen. I honestly want to hear what the community has to say about them and how they feel about the changes before taking them into consideration. As the game was not made for the growing age group that we are today.

I understand. I mentioned the above points regarding the new additions to give you an example of what must be done to turn the game into a proper challenge while neglecting the point you were trying to get across.

I totally agree with you and would like to see adjustments made to the game. Yet here I am repeating myself again: No matter what changes are applied, the combat system will remain easy to master. The one-shot issue can be easily fixed, however (again) the combat system will remain as simple as it was before. Your solutions will only prolong the time taken to kill an enemy.

The community won't die and hasn't died before. The number one proof is right here, where we're all talking about a game that was closed ~4 years ago.

The fact that the community may have grew up does not change the fact that the whole game was concocted around the concept of a family-friendly game with simple mechanics. Everything from the game's engine to the core coding signifies that. All of Irene's points (which I have linked below) regarding POTCO are correct.
It is a very casual, basic, and to be frank brainless game. You never need to think a lot to play it nor does it require any serious strategic decisions.

I believe that the issue is larger than one-shot kills and simple combat. Regardless of whatever changes take place, I still believe that the game will continue being "mindless" (as you put it).

But that won't stop me from enjoying it, at least.

Completely agree with you about guns! They're extremely overpowered and your solution would fix that, while still keeping them fairly powerful. I don't have a strong opinion about grenades or healing (would need more time to think about it), but your solutions for them are just as well thought-out as your solution for guns. I haven't read through all the comments but I don't think people are going to get unreasonably angry, or at least I hope they won't, because threads like this one are important. Having a community as close-knit as we are is slightly uncommon, especially when you think about how the game is being remade (by people like us, for people like us). We actually have a strong influence over what new aspects/changes will be added to the game, so knowing where we each stand on topics like this one is helpful! This got a bit off-track...
:2 cents:

Completely agree with you about guns! They're extremely overpowered and your solution would fix that, while still keeping them fairly powerful. I don't have a strong opinion about grenades or healing (would need more time to think about it), but your solutions for them are just as well thought-out as your solution for guns. I haven't read through all the comments but I don't think people are going to get unreasonably angry, or at least I hope they won't, because threads like this one are important. Having a community as close-knit as we are is slightly uncommon, especially when you think about how the game is being remade (by people like us, for people like us). We actually have a strong influence over what new aspects/changes will be added to the game, so knowing where we each stand on topics like this one is helpful! This got a bit off-track...
:2 cents:
I am happy to see more and more people come to this realization about our community. :) This was just to give players an idea of changes that need to be made within TLOPO to make the game more enjoyable. However, people will disagree and agree. I respect and would love to discuss and work with any and ALL feedback I get upon any of my threads. :)

Good points, the only one I personally would dislike is the one about healing. Because I'm pretty much at the point where all of my weapons are maxed, the most fun thing for me to do (besides sailing/minigame parts lf the game) is help others. I use the doll with the extra heal (the name escapes me), and I have the healing skills maxed out, but I also usually have 3-5 people attuned at a time. If only one of them is taking severe damage, it still splits the healing between 5 targets, so it becomes necessary to have three healing skills. Just my opinion :)

Last edited:
Good points, the only one I personally would dislike is the heals. Because I'm pretty much at the point where all of my weapons are maxed, the most fun thing for me to do (besides sailing/minigame parts lf the game) is help others. I use the doll with the extra heal (the name escapes me), and I have the healing skills maxed out, but I also usually have 3-5 people attuned at a time. If only one of them is taking severe damage, it still splits the healing between 5 targtets, and so it becomes necessary to have three healing skills. Just my opinion :)
A very good point, if it were to be adjusted. I would make the heals set to that amount to all pirates, so that we can lower the heals without the risk of split healing.

Back