Putting more emphasis into guilds

Alvis

Honorable Pirate
I've been watching these threads a lot lately. They all seem to have one thing in common: organization. All of them seem to want to have something to build up to, to gain the best ship/weapon/guild etc. My favorite of the bunch was the one about having the insane quest line (in a good way) to get yourself a ship of the line (I'll tag him in after this thread is created @Jim Barrelflint ). He seemed to have a great understanding of how much work and materials went into building the ships of the line, and why they were so rare in the game. @Christofosho recently posted a google doc explaining the advanced guilds idea (which is just as great as the ship of the line idea), which is ran by organization and an electoral college-esque democracy. Despite all the amazing ideas on that document, I still don't think it was quite enough. Guilds are basically what a crew would be if we were pirates in real life. They are going to be the foundation of the future of TLOPO. I honestly think they need even more love than what we are giving them. (The reason why I started a new thread was because this proposal is going to be VERY long, and something that will spark entirely new conversation).

One thing that I think we need to capitalize on is guild notoriety. We all remember in POTCO, the main guilds out there that were the talk of the town were McRaging, Emerald Sea Gang, Ocean Gods, Elite Thievery Co., Spartans Savy, Fortitudas Piratas, and more. I think they should get more love than just fame (not to bash on the smaller guilds, just wait, I'll get to y'all in a minute). They were known mostly for being the ones who defeated the most enemies or sunk the most ships. In real life, their head would fetch a pretty penny at the merc's market. On the last development stream, they showed that there might be both casual and competitive PvP (something that was DESPERATELY needed). What if, in the future, there's another feature added: the bounty PvP. It would start with a quest giver on Kingshead, where the EITC and Navy are given their orders. You would be given the task to challenge and defeat a guild officer in a battle for a pretty lumpsum of money. Everything sounds good, except for one thing: that officer targeted would have to take time out of their life to deal with them. I have an idea to this that might not be possible anytime soon. The bookie assigning you to the bounty, would give you a place that they will find the officer. At the time of accpetance of the quest, the game makes an AI model after the character. That AI's HP would reflect that of a normal superboss. The weapons they would have would be the most powerful of their respective weapons. For example, having a Deep Freeze dagger, spineskull sword, monkey blunderbuss, etc (this will be with standard Aztec coin curse). I don't know what the officers involved will get if they win, something minds greater than mind would decide.

For you smaller guilds, first thing, you are just as important as the big guys. I did not forget about you in this idea (I used to be a part of one for awhile). I was thinking you guys could be a part of the opposite side of the spectrum. An NPC at some pirate haven would give you a quest, wanting you to eliminate the causes of pirate assassinations by other pirates. This would feature a quest line riddled with enemies high above your level, and you have to do it alone (similar to the Genoharden in Knights of the Old Republic), but you'll get paid a lot to eliminate them. The enemies stats would reflect yours, and the weapon type will be random. You'll get prizes for each tier of enemies you defeat (maybe a ship of the line if you reach the end?). It's a good way to work out of the shadows, if you're into that. And for the no-guilders out there, either choice would be available to you.

One more idea. Once a guild reaches a certain notoriety, they get a quest line, exclusive to their members. It would feature a ridiculous task (such as defeat 1,240 Navy soldiers, 1,150 EITC Assassins, 1,500 skeletons that are within 5 levels of you, such as you are lvl 34, they have to be at least 29 to count). Your reward? Your own guild island. Not enough? How about an even more ridiculous quest line: defeat 200 of each enemy AND sink 150 of each ship (except Juggernauts) for your Ship of the Line.

This is all just speculation and imagination from that weird guy on the internet, but I guess it might be something to talk about. I know I didn't finish some rough endings, but maybe some minds more creative than mine can fill in? I'm open for criticisms, ideas, and such. This game was my life back in the day, so I'm all up to talk about it, about how to improve gameplay so people won't get bored with it (like I have).

So I'm honestly not sure if I understood the exact idea here, beyond Guild PvP (and maybe I got that wrong too lol).
One more idea. Once a guild reaches a certain notoriety, they get a quest line, exclusive to their members. It would feature a ridiculous task (such as defeat 1,240 Navy soldiers, 1,150 EITC Assassins, 1,500 skeletons that are within 5 levels of you, such as you are lvl 34, they have to be at least 29 to count). Your reward? Your own guild island. Not enough? How about an even more ridiculous quest line: defeat 200 of each enemy AND sink 150 of each ship (except Juggernauts) for your Ship of the Line.
So is this for individuals? Or for the guild collectively? I personally think that tasks like this for the guild to complete collectively as a team would be really cool! And then if more guild features are added, the collective guild quests could be put towards earning things for those features.. such as funds to decorate a guild island or something similar.

As for the PvP portion of your idea, I was personally never a PvPer anyway so me not understanding much of it isn't really a big deal lol. I'll leave that up to others who respond here.

It would be for the guild entirely.

And as for the PvP stuff...it's kinda hard to explain. I'll explain later

While I love the idea of creating a Boss bounty mission, which works on it's own Guild officer bounty or not, my only concern would be tempering rivalry with friendly competition. Also, some pirates just aren't into PvP as much as others.

Yes, some guilds prided themselves on setting ranking records etc. And that definitely would motivate the EITC and the Royal Navy, among others, to go after them. The downside for the player with such notoriety or guild infamy is that they would constantly be hounded. That may prompt some to create 2nd or 3rd pirates til the heat dies down.

I do agree that certain 'guild rewards' should be a later goal once the game is up and running. In games like Guild Wars, you have to have a certain number of members and achievements to have your own Guild Bank, Guild Emblem, etc. Goals like that or a Guild HQ would definitely motivate players and groups.

Yeah, I'm still thinking about the PvP part. I was one of those players who wasn't so big into PvP unless it was an organized thing among friends. As I said, I don't have the greatest imagination, so I'll let others come up with ideas for that

Back