Regarding Hacking

Concerning when it is known that a forums member has or is currently promoting hacking efforts pertaining specifically to POTCO (externally from this site), is it of this forums policy to deny said individual of continuation of forums membership on account of such unethical activity? What about those individuals upholding association with said individuals on these external sites?

I ask because in taking a moment to do a simple, "innocent" search on Google, an individual (not a 'forums' member I don't believe) is promoting a video on youtube concerning individual's use and promotion of 3rd party manipulation software (very 'first page' of the search revealed this publicly).

*As a forums member, it raises a concern as - say hypothetically - an individual whom is clearly involved with promoting hacking activity may still (according to whether he/she 'talks' about it on the forums) be allowed to retain his/her forums account membership just like everyone else.

idk. Kinda gives a "mixed message" in my opinion. :confused:

Thank Ye...

Good question, it's a bit tricky to answer and understand.

The first thing to consider, in regards to breaking the rules, is can staff see it? If not (conversations), they are not actively moderated, period. We don't/won't/can't read or moderate your conversations unless they are reported via the 'Report' button.

If staff can see it (which includes reported conversations), it is subject to our rules 100% of the time.

So now, we have 2 rules that are important when it comes to this:

You may not accuse anyone else of wrong-doing on the forums. This is because it will usually become drama that we have to waste time dealing with, and we want to give every player a fair chance here, regardless of history.​
You may not suggest, encourage, boast about, or discuss your participation in any illegal activity. This includes hacking.​

The reason I am against taking action against accounts for activity off of the forums is it's extremely hard for us to prove it's the same person unless they explicitly claim they are (admission of guilt). So, as long as a member gives us no reason to think they're up to no good, they may remain a member.

However, if they break the rules, action will be taken on their account. 2 things to note:

Implying you might be a hacker (even off of the forums in a way that is traceable to your forums account) counts as admission of guilt.​
If we fail to recognize admission of guilt, any forums member can and should bring it to our attention in private (and not in a public post or thread).​

If they are not implying they might be a hacker in some way or another, then you should not be concerned about their activity on the forums.

tl;dr: you can report hackers to us in private (but not public ever!), but any accusations must be proved. The burden of proof is on the accuser.

Back