Question Regarding Treasure Sense

WilyJaymes

Honorable Pirate
The last patch got me thinking about this. I typically put 0 points into this skill and go for a more combat oriented build. But with the recent nerf to fishing, I was thinking of ways to (at least) partially fill this void. Seeing as my quest for the Admiral's Cutlass took a big hit.

How does treasure sense work exactly? I am aware that it increases the gold value of emeralds, rubies, diamonds, and various generic cargo. Does it also increase the probability of receiving royal chests? And most importantly, does it increase the probability of receiving loot skull chests at sea?

I am aware that it increases the gold value of emeralds, rubies, diamonds, and various generic cargo.

I don't think that's how treasure sense worked at all. Diamonds for example have always been exactly 250 gold to me, and I've had TS rank 5 since POTCO. I always figured it just gave you a chance of having whatever drop you were given "upgraded" to the next tier. Crate -> treasure -> royal.

Of course loot chests didn't exist when I played POTCO, for the most part. But I imagine the same applies to them.

Alright. I think I just heard someone say once that it increases the gold values. I didn't question it because it's been so long since I've played POTCO that I don't remember what it did. Or maybe they meant it differently and I just misinterpreted it. Like having a higher chance to get rubies or diamonds from royal chests instead of emeralds, that sort of thing.

I hope someone knows for certain if it affects loot containers at all.

Last edited:
Well if it does what I said then it does increase gold, just not so directly.

But yeah the real question is does it apply to anything else. Loot chests specifically but I'd also like to know if it helps you get materials from common ships!

I've always wished I knew the actual math behind it too. Where exactly does the multiplication occur?

Yeah, I'm the kind of pirate who pulls out his chemistry flasks and finely tuned measuring instruments before looting. No enjoyment in mystery. :banana split:

If I'm not mistaken, it adjusts the quality of loot container dropped, not the loot inside. Essentially, the higher your Treasure Sense, the more likely you are to get Royals, and Loot Skulls.

I guess "if I'm not mistaken" will have to be good enough. If we got someone who has actual data here we'd probably be met with "oh we can't disclose anything."

Yeah, lol I'm in the same boat (pun partially intended) It's been so long, that I've forgotten what loot wad like, with, and without Treaure Sense back in POTCO lol

Before I applied points to treasure sense, I was getting about 2k gold per run on a ship with 20+ cargo and was getting a diverse mix of goodies. After applying points to treasure sense, I averaged 6k gold with the same cargo capacity and was getting boat loads of iron ore, gold bars, and diamonds. Now, it seems like they broke it again as I'm back down to what I was getting before.

Back