Remove or overhaul potion-making

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that potion making is both tedious and time consuming, which is why I tend to put it off for as long as possible. Fishing is much more enjoyable and earns better Rep then potion making, not to mention fishing can earn you loot as well. Potion making earns you a few measly Rep points and some silly gag side effects. Potion making as is isn't worth the time or effort in my opinion.

I actually do like the potions, and i do use them. But I am not understanding the point of why they "should" be removed. If there was a issue to them causing harm in the game, then by all means please remove them as they are basically just a fun time waster, that I am sure those that do it enjoy. I understand you and many more do not like to do them, but besides preference and opinion, is there more of a reason to remove? I can go for a overhaul, maybe a potion point system that will go towards buying a better Staff or Doll Or Enchanted Weapon. Like the PVP rewards system, You can only get those items through PVP. Well you can only get these items through potion crafting. But don't remove them, Cause there are some that actually do like them for whatever reason.

I actually do like the potions, and i do use them. But I am not understanding the point of why they "should" be removed. If there was a issue to them causing harm in the game, then by all means please remove them as they are basically just a fun time waster, that I am sure those that do it enjoy. I understand you and many more do not like to do them, but besides preference and opinion, is there more of a reason to remove? I can go for a overhaul, maybe a potion point system that will go towards buying a better Staff or Doll Or Enchanted Weapon. Like the PVP rewards system, You can only get those items through PVP. Well you can only get these items through potion crafting. But don't remove them, Cause there are some that actually do like them for whatever reason.
I’ll sum it up. Potion making in its current state, to me, is seen as POTCO’s lazy excuse for its lack of crafting mechanics. Plus it’s unrewarding and inefficient. The only reason I mastered it was for overall completion and not cause I was so busy crafting ‘useful’ potions. Upon mastering it, I know I’ll never go near it again (except when RC is out). There is no real reason or motive pushing players to partake in potion making as there is to either looting or sailing (which both add replay value to the game).

The correct thing to do (aka my opinion) is to modify the game and ensure that it works properly without potion making, then removing potions and creating a more lucrative alternative that doesn’t limit you to gypsies around the Caribbean and feels both fun, useful, and rewarding.

There are two other alternatives. Either the addition of crafting as a separate skill from potion making (and potions are untouched) or a replacement of potions with crafting and potion making being left as a small mini-game.

But again, this is all my opinion and I don’t see potion making going away anytime soon.

I’ll sum it up. Potion making in its current state, to me, is seen as POTCO’s lazy excuse for its lack of crafting mechanics. Plus it’s unrewarding and inefficient. The only reason I mastered it was for overall completion and not cause I was so busy crafting ‘useful’ potions. Upon mastering it, I know I’ll never go near it again (except when RC is out). There is no real reason or motive pushing players to partake in potion making as there is to either looting or sailing (which both add replay value to the game).

The correct thing to do (aka my opinion) is to modify the game and ensure that it works properly without potion making, then removing potions and creating a more lucrative alternative that doesn’t limit you to gypsies around the Caribbean and feels both fun, useful, and rewarding.

There are two other alternatives. Either the addition of crafting as a separate skill from potion making (and potions are untouched) or a replacement of potions with crafting and potion making being left as a small mini-game.

But again, this is all my opinion and I don’t see potion making going away anytime soon.
So then, you're all set!
Overhauling potions is not required.
Savor it!

Potions are a useless annoyance to majority of the community. I am surprise that the devs brought them back in this version. Most of the community are drawn to the game to loot (or seems so imo), potions is the only aspect that does not give loot or gold (unless you sell, but that isnt the best option to make gold), just very low xp for potions that, again, majority of the community does not use. I also like to have a fully max out pirates, and sailing is a grind in it self but at least has a reward in possible good loot at the end. This is suppose to be a family oriented game, for kids and adults...potions is just a useless, annoying aspect that shouldnt be added to our lvl weapons list. I like darkslingers idea of it just being a side thing like repairs.. this way the tiny part of the community that likes it still has it but no one is force to complete it. :)

This is [suppose] to be a family oriented game, for kids and adults...potions [is] just a useless, annoying aspect that [shouldnt] be added to our lvl weapons list.

Can you rationally explain and tie together potions with the comment quoted above?
Are you suggesting that potions are not family appropriate?
Please, elaborate...

Last edited by a moderator:
I meant that most kids dont have the patience for useless lvling of potions, sailing is already a grind, but at least has a reward at the end (if you dont crash upon landing). There is no reward for the insane grinding of potions, so we are already set up to feel like we fail on lvling up a character on a game that is supposed to be fun because to be consider a "complete lvl 50" at this time, you have max out potions. It should be a side game like repairs...

Maybe for those that do complete potions, they can be given a badge or something, like pvp and svs has. :)

I generally do potions early on, I sell them when I have max amount. In the morning when Im waking up, having a coffee, when I am not able to focus on the intensity of other things. This helps my gold, and my level on the lower level pirates notoriety. Yeah its tedious, but im a completionist and believe it all must be done. Reworking the potions could be a thing, like having the effects last longer than 90 seconds. Swift foot is the main one I use, speeds me thru areas I need to run thru for quests, or looting areas.

I meant that most kids dont have the patience for useless lvling of potions, sailing is already a grind, but at least has a reward at the end (if you dont crash upon landing). There is no reward for the insane grinding of potions, so we are already set up to feel like we fail on lvling up a character on a game that is supposed to be fun because to be consider a "complete lvl 50" at this time, you have max out potions. It should be a side game like repairs...

Maybe for those that do complete potions, they can be given a badge or something, like pvp and svs has. :)
How would you know what most kids have the patience for?

Base on my friends that play.. why do you have to keep arguing my point of view? o.o

Maybe its just me, but whether or not I liked potions or participated in crafting them, I still would never agree with removing something that is not broke, does not harm the game, is not bugged and glitchy, just because of my personal preference. Since when, does me not liking something become so important that I must take away the from the pleasure of others that do like it. (regardless of my opinion on how many play it) I will simply not participate in that area. I could care less for PVP or SVS. MY solution... I find other things that I do happen to enjoy, and focus my energies on those.

I like making potions.
Whenever I need a break from sailing or leveling my weapons I love to stop by the potion brewing table and start brewing.
I do use the potions too... the silly potions probably even more than the useful ones :D :D

[Base] on my friends that play.. why do you have to keep arguing my point of view? o.o
I'm not arguing your point of view, you are.
I'm just asking you to elaborate, not on your opinion, but the baseless facts you keep mixing in with your opinion, that's all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe its just me, but whether or not I liked potions or participated in crafting them, I still would never agree with removing something that is not broke, does not harm the game, is not bugged and glitchy, just because of my personal preference. Since when, does me not liking something become so important that I must take away the from the pleasure of others that do like it. (regardless of my opinion on how many play it) I will simply not participate in that area. I could care less for PVP or SVS. MY solution... I find other things that I do happen to enjoy, and focus my energies on those.

No one is saying to remove them.. just either over haul or make it more of a side mini game like fixing the ship one...that way it is still there for those that enjoy it. The point is potions at it is current state shouldnt be something that is 'force' for everyone to do.

How are you "forced to do them"?? Please explain this to me?? I have never been required to do potions in all my days of Playing here or on POTCO. Granted their is an OPTIONAL quest that you will need a certain level, but that level is very very easy to get to, but again its OPTIONAL
Where are you FORCED to do them?? If you mean by having your skill card filled that is YOUR CHOICE, that is YOUR own mind telling you that you have to have potions mastered. There are Pirates with Maxed Sword ONLY no other weapon even opened up, they werent even FORCED to get other weapons it is all OPTIONAL

I'm guessing some people are either intimidated or challenged by potion making and would rather it just went away instead of mastering it or ignoring it.
Such emotionally charged replies by a select few pirates show more than a reasonable dislike for potions.
I understand they can be difficult, but they can also be easy, depending on how you approach them.
I personally dislike fishing and across 6 mastered pirates, none has mastered fishing.
But that doesn't mean I'm gonna get emotional about it and call for it to be removed.
It's part of the game and no one makes anyone do anything they don't want to.
If you don't like potions for whatever reason, don't do them.
To make irrational statements and attack people pointing out the fallacy of their arguments is uncalled for.
Savor it!

Public Reminder:
Hey folks, please remember to keep posts civil.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions.
We won't always agree with each other, but we need to state our ideas without debating each other.
Posts that get argumentative or hostile can result in warnings and points on your account.
For the record, I'm not very fond of potions myself.

Thanks for complying and Happy Halloween!

I'm guessing some people are either intimidated or challenged by potion making and would rather it just went away instead of mastering it or ignoring it.
Such emotionally charged replies by a select few pirates show more than a reasonable dislike for potions.
I understand they can be difficult, but they can also be easy, depending on how you approach them.
I personally dislike fishing and across 6 mastered pirates, none has mastered fishing.
But that doesn't mean I'm gonna get emotional about it and call for it to be removed.
It's part of the game and no one makes anyone do anything they don't want to.
If you don't like potions for whatever reason, don't do them.
To make irrational statements and attack people pointing out the fallacy of their arguments is uncalled for.
Savor it!
The problem isn't that they're "difficult". They're incredibly easy. They're just so gosh darn tedious. I don't want to do potion making because it's horribly horribly boring, and I don't play video games to be bored.

The problem isn't that they're "difficult". They're incredibly easy. They're just so gosh darn tedious. I don't want to do potion making because it's horribly horribly boring, and I don't play video games to be bored.
Why would you make potions if they bore you?
No one makes you do them.
If you're bored of the game, well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back