Remove or overhaul potion-making

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem isn't that they're "difficult". They're incredibly easy. They're just so gosh darn tedious. I don't want to do potion making because it's horribly horribly boring, and I don't play video games to be bored.
I wholeheartedly agree. To add to what you just said - other than the fact that they're boring, effortless, and not rewarding at all - potions are given a role they don't deserve.

They're a skill - so completionists who despise potions must level it up whether they like it or not. Others might debate against my point and claim that "pirates don't like certain weapons and they have to level them up, too" and that it's not a "matter of personal preference". However, all of the other skills have a certain degree of usefulness upon mastering. The swift foot potion (only useful one, to me) isn't enough to justify potions' existence as an overall skill.

@Sky Kiwi might be a completionist as many others are. I dislike brewing potions myself and that didn't stop me from mastering it.
And what about the pirates who despise dolls, or sailing, daggers, etc? I don't like fishing.
Maybe we can just get rid of all of those things.
That'll be fun, right?
If you're not having fun at it, don't do it.
Simple.

And what about the pirates who despise dolls, or sailing, daggers, etc? I don't like fishing.
Maybe we can just get rid of all of those things.
That'll be fun, right?
If you're not having fun at it, don't do it.
Simple.

From the previous reply:

Others might debate against my point and claim that "pirates don't like certain weapons and they have to level them up, too" and that it's not a "matter of personal preference". However, all of the other skills have a certain degree of usefulness upon mastering. The swift foot potion (only useful one, to me) isn't enough to justify potions' existence as an overall skill.

From the previous reply:
Whatever is deemed "useful" for you is your own preference.
Others find many of the potions useful and fun.
The simple, basic fact is this; potions are an integral part of the game and they're not going away based on the opinions of a handful of pirates who don't like them or have no "use" for them.
That's just silly.

Whatever is deemed "useful" for you is your own preference.
Others find many of the potions useful and fun.
This is an argument you can make for literally everything though. What matters is general consensus. Though most don't, some people literally enjoy physical pain, so should we include physical pain in all our entertainment too?

This is an argument you can make for literally everything though. What matters is general consensus. Though most don't, some people literally enjoy physical pain, so should we include physical pain in all our entertainment too?

We're talking about TLOPO, right?
Potions are part of the game. Deals with it.
One can imagine in every game a few malcontents disliking integral parts of the game and then feeling their dislike will somehow alter said game.
Very amusing! I LOL'd a bit at that!

How is potion making integral to the game? In my opinion, in order for it to be 'integral' it requires an overhaul.
That's why your opinion is just that; an opinion.
If you wrote the game & helped revive it, then by all means, "overhaul" it.
Otherwise, potions are clearly an integral part of the game.
The way you can tell is that, well, there they are, just like they were in POTCO.
Since this is a re-creation of that original game, which includes potions, they are still an integral part of it.

That's why your opinion is just that; an opinion.
If you wrote the game & helped revive it, then by all means, "overhaul" it.
Otherwise, potions are clearly an integral part of the game.
The way you can tell is that, well, there they are, just like they were in POTCO.
Since this is a re-creation of that original game, which includes potions, they are still an integral part of it.
Hiya

I'm free to suggest what I'd like being added or changed in the game as you're free to complain about my suggestions, and no, I do not need to have written the game to help 'overhaul' a concept in it. This suggestions thread is open to all for this very reason; to discuss and share ideas in a non-toxic manner. So please refrain from spewing intimidating phrases that do not positively contribute to the overall suggestion or debate and aim towards offending other parties and potentially sparking an unnecessary fight that'll turn this into a hostile thread.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Let's keep this debate a debate and nothing more.

Hiya

I'm free to suggest what I'd like being added or changed in the game as you're free to complain about my suggestions, and no, I do not need to have written the game to help 'overhaul' a concept in it. This suggestions thread is open to all for this very reason; to discuss and share ideas in a non-toxic manner. So please refrain from spewing intimidating phrases that do not positively contribute to the overall suggestion or debate and aim towards offending other parties and potentially sparking an unnecessary fight that'll turn this into a hostile thread.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Let's keep this debate a debate and nothing more.
I'm sorry if I threatened you in some way, as that's decidedly not my intention.
I am simply stating the obvious here; that no more than 5 pirates have come here to agree with you, and one of those is highly dubious at best.
To "overhaul" an integral aspect of the game, simply because you're not suited to it seems a bit presposterous, but it is your opinion, and I respect that, albeit not agreeing with it.
So, at the end of the day, our discussion has been had, and any toxic emotions are not intended on my part.
Your suggestion is here, and I'm free to pick it apart as I see fit.
Savor it!

Really, I would love to just see the potions give a bit more rep. Leveling a bit faster would make it far less grind-y. I wouldn't feel obligated to grind out for completion purposes, as with more rep I could play naturally and still get it up to max rank. I wouldn't have to say, 'okay, I've maxed everything and potions is level 3. Time to grind for 4 hours'.
Adding onto this, upping effects could be helpful as well to aid that. More useful potions, that level quicker - I'd genuinely be brewing potions because of their use, and not feel like my potion level is super behind everything else.

Just my 2 cents, and for those who want it
tl;dr - Up strength and rep, and the potions won't feel as grindy imo.

Really, I would love to just see the potions give a bit more rep. Leveling a bit faster would make it far less grind-y. I wouldn't feel obligated to grind out for completion purposes, as with more rep I could play naturally and still get it up to max rank. I wouldn't have to say, 'okay, I've maxed everything and potions is level 3. Time to grind for 4 hours'.
Adding onto this, upping effects could be helpful as well to aid that. More useful potions, that level quicker - I'd genuinely be brewing potions because of their use, and not feel like my potion level is super behind everything else.

Just my 2 cents, and for those who want it
tl;dr - Up strength and rep, and the potions won't feel as grindy imo.
If a lot of people insist on keeping potions, we should think of ways to improve it for everyone! Potions shouldn't be reworked just because we despise them, but for the future.

Idea roundup:

The slightly overhauled system would add purpose (and fun) back to brewing potions. The best way to meet all the above requirements is to make it more fast-paced. This can be done by either replacing the mix-and-match gameplay with a more interesting alternative or by recreating the mix-and-match with a different concept in mind. This would allow pirates to receive rep and "points" at a higher rate and allow pirates to actually depend on potions before a battle rather than avoid brewing them because they require time and effort.

When it comes to leveling, there should be no grinding involved. To level up, you have to actually use the potions in different scenarios. This will mean a larger variety of potions will have to be introduced to the game and a lot of pre-existing ones (eg: swift foot 1, 2, 3 - marksmans draught 1, 2, 3) will have to be unified into a single potion. Imagine a scenario in which you're about to fight a boss that inflicts extreme amounts of voodoo damage and has high HP. With a voodoo immunity potion, pirates will be able to use it to fight said boss. Bosses should be crafted with gameplay aspects in mind - pirates should be able to take them down in a lot of different ways including using potions as a means of assistance. The same can be applied with enemies that inflict fire damage, extremely swift enemies, or stumps that overuse the earthquake ability. New potions will be created to counteract all of these issues! Bosses should be made tedious to force pirates to depend on the newly overhauled, friendlier potion-making system. So overall, there should be more potions suited to a plethora of different scenarios each pirate might face.

New potion leveling system. Players will need to use a variety of different potions depending on their playstyle. Creating potions will reward a little amount of rep and potion points - however, pirates must use the potions in action to reap the extended benefits. In their current state, the potions might not be useful enough to use. Selling (discussed later on) will also grant reduced rep and points. However, with this reworked system with multiple potions for different contexts - many pirates will be motivated to use them.

New gameplay aspects. Players might need to shrink or enlarge themselves to get past a point in a quest or even make themselves invisible to avoid a group of overpowered enemies. Another scenario can be pirates having to morph themselves to blend with enemies and be able to search around them. The gameplay opportunities are endless with useful potions! Pirates can even be forced to drink certain potions to beat otherwise invincible bosses and earn a guaranteed reward. This can be a weekly quest in which pirates need to achieve a certain feat by drinking potions and playing. They'll receive a gift and different badges in return!

Potion rarity. With potion variety, there's potion rarity. There could be different types (common, rare, famed, legendary, cursed) of potions. This will divide them into sectors of rarity and give pirates an understanding of how important each type of potion is.

Upgrade recipe. Instead of having three types of potions with varying powers or durations - why not have one? As you level up and progress, you can receive a quest that assists you in upgrading your pre-existing potion recipes to make them even more effective! When you upgrade, all your new potions have improved stats.

Potions marketplace. Create useful potions, sell them to others. Some pirates demand potions but aren't patient enough to brew them. How should we fix this? By supplying them with potions! Pirates can directly act as suppliers and sell their potions in a marketplace. This will require loads of varying potions to be added into the game. Pirates who love potions enough to brew them upon mastering will have a reason to go on and others who despise brewing will benefit too. Another advantage is pirates will probably envy your ability to sell these potions for high prices since they're too lazy to brew them and might go ahead and partake in potion-brewing themselves!

Potion points and points store. Different types of potions reward you with rep alongside varying amounts of points. Think of this as an alternative to looting. With these points, you'll be able to spend your points on exclusive items ranging from clothing to tattoos and weapons all in the points store. In addition to this, new mysterious items can be added every month forming a never-ending catalogue of mystical items. This will incentivize players to brew potions. These items are exclusive to the potions store but can be sold in the marketplace for extremely high prices, materials, and other tradeable items.

Finally, badges. A rewards system with badges and gifts could be introduced to returning brewers. These can be given out to players who achieve certain feats like leveling up, using potions in a specific manner (eg: kill 'x' enemies while drinking this and not getting damaged), selling a large amount of potions in the marketplace, crafting potions for a certain amount of days in a row, or creating 'x' amount of a certain potion.

This is not about simplifying potions, but making it friendlier and more approachable. To enjoy potion making, some pirates need to detach the concept of leveling up and start associating potion-brewing with its advantages. I, for one, mastered my sword fairly quickly since I aimed towards reaching a point where I can deal large amounts of damage to kill enemies faster and in return get more rep and loot. With potions it should be no different.

Last edited:
It’s a useless feature most pirates partake in so they could be labeled as “completionists” or are forced to craft certain potions.

The potions have no use whatsoever (minus the obvious such as quest-requirements) and potion-making was just added so POTCO could have a feature resembling crafting. Drinking potions doesn't greatly impact gameplay and crafting them is a time-consuming inconvenience.

Basically - potion-making is a simple, lazy alternative to crafting and the original developers added it with a complete lack of vision. They did it just so they can check something off their list.

It would be nice to have it either removed or completely overhauled.

I personally would love if the potions had amazing stats. This would draw people to the table and it would become a fun element to the game. Along with the value buff they should just straight up added more potions.

I was an early player of potc, potions were only bought through gypsies there were no mini games to create them. Reverting back to that would not bother me one bit. As far as removing them... I rather have them I don't go anywhere without swift foot just takes to long.

LOL, I finally realize why potions are disliked by a handful of pirates;
They have no clue how to make them!
Some people just can't figure out how to solve logic puzzles, math puzzles, etc.
I suggest you just simply refrain from potions if they scare you and you feel you'll never learn how to make them easily.
Because trust me, potions are easy, very easy.

Some people just can't figure out how to solve logic puzzles, math puzzles, etc.
I suggest you just simply refrain from potions if they scare you and you feel you'll never learn how to make them easily.
Oh my god no. That's not why at all. It's because making them is tedious and the reward isn't worth it. And we've said this - to you specifically - before.

Stop throwing your thinly veiled insults at everyone who disagrees with you.

Last edited:
Making them IS NOT the Issue lil kid , It's the wasted time for Nothing !! Besides 40 Mastered Potions In Potco was enough for my life time !! Grow up kid !!! Most lil kids do like lil puzzle games of such !!

Oh my god no. That's not why at all. It's because making them is tedious and the reward isn't worth it. And we've said this - to you specifically - before.

Stop throwing your thinly veiled insults at everyone who disagrees with you.
I'm not insulting you.
You need to get a grip.
And it seems pretty clear you're terrified of potions, based on your commentary and reaction.

Making them IS NOT the Issue lil kid , It's the wasted time for Nothing !! Besides 40 Mastered Potions In Potco was enough for my life time !! Grow up kid !!! Most lil kids do like lil puzzle games of such !!
You my friend have been reported for your rude and childish insults.
There's no place here for bullies and insulting behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back