Rule Revisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again everyone,

For quite a while now, we've been talking about revising our terms and rules as part of an effort to make them simpler, more effective, and easier to understand. I'm happy to announce we're at the tail end of this effort and we're ready to share the new revision with the community for feedback.

You may find the latest revision at https://piratesforums.co/help/terms-new/

It is our goal to put the new terms into effect on August 1st.

The new terms and rules should better cater to a community which has grown and matured over the years. One such example of this is the upcoming NSFW system. This system will allow people to opt-in to posting and viewing more mature content (including turning off our language censors). However, it should be noted that certain content and excessive swearing will still be disallowed. We think this is a compromise which gives members a choice on what they want to see while still encouraging a positive and upbeat atmosphere.

We are also working on a section that will outline our moderation policies and the consequences for rule violations, which we hope will help provide better transparency and accountability for our moderation decisions. Keep an eye out for this in the coming weeks!

If there are any questions, comments, or suggestions regarding the new rules, just reply to this thread and let us know!

Hi again everyone,

For quite a while now, we've been talking about revising our terms and rules as part of an effort to make them simpler, more effective, and easier to understand. I'm happy to announce we're at the tail end of this effort and we're ready to share the new revision with the community for feedback.

You may find the latest revision at https://piratesforums.co/help/terms-new/

It is our goal to put the new terms into effect on August 1st.

The new terms and rules should better cater to a community which has grown and matured over the years. One such example of this is the upcoming NSFW system. This system will allow people to opt-in to posting and viewing more mature content (including turning off our language censors). However, it should be noted that certain content and excessive swearing will still be disallowed. We think this is a compromise which gives members a choice on what they want to see while still encouraging a positive and upbeat atmosphere.

We are also working on a section that will outline our moderation policies and the consequences for rule violations, which we hope will help provide better transparency and accountability for our moderation decisions. Keep an eye out for this in the coming weeks!

If there are any questions, comments, or suggestions regarding the new rules, just reply to this thread and let us know!

yeah! finally. now i can die in peace :)

Hate to be a naysayer to a system that will probably be put in place anyway, especially since I seem to be the only one complaining. But I still think we shouldn't allow bad language in our chat systems at all. I play/played a game called Wizard101 (you may have heard of it, it's a sister game to Pirate101) and I think their chat system is ideal. They have menu chatters who can only say preset words or phrases (not my favorite feature of this system, and is not necessary IMO), they have text chatters who can say words that are whitelisted (this feature is for 13+ accounts), and they have open chatters who can say words that are not blacklisted (NSFW words, bad/dirty language in general - for 18+ accounts). I have never had any problem with this system and if this were still a discussion rather than an update I would fully support it.

Hate to be a naysayer to a system that will probably be put in place anyway, especially since I seem to be the only one complaining. But I still think we shouldn't allow bad language in our chat systems at all. I play/played a game called Wizard101 (you may have heard of it, it's a sister game to Pirate101) and I think their chat system is ideal. They have menu chatters who can only say preset words or phrases (not my favorite feature of this system, and is not necessary IMO), they have text chatters who can say words that are whitelisted (this feature is for 13+ accounts), and they have open chatters who can say words that are not blacklisted (NSFW words, bad/dirty language in general - for 18+ accounts). I have never had any problem with this system and if this were still a discussion rather than an update I would fully support it.
With NSFW filters, you will be able to avoid all NSFW content if you choose. Also, we still will have swear words and other naughty words censored like they are now.

There are places for mature content. I don't believe this is one of them. First you have foul language, which I will admit I use the F word like a comma, but I can't think of a single use of one of these words that doesn't sound vulgar or angry. Then you have other language that isn't necessarily foul, but could have certain innuendos. Probably a topic that should be discussed in private between consenting adults.

I don't like the censoring any more than the next guy, but I see the purpose for it. Let's just keep it pirate-like.

That's my 2 cents.

There are places for mature content. I don't believe this is one of them. First you have foul language, which I will admit I use the F word like a comma, but I can't think of a single use of one of these words that doesn't sound vulgar or angry. Then you have other language that isn't necessarily foul, but could have certain innuendos. Probably a topic that should be discussed in private between consenting adults.

I don't like the censoring any more than the next guy, but I see the purpose for it. Let's just keep it pirate-like.

That's my 2 cents.
But wouldn't pirates swear and curse like there's no tomorrow? XD

What's DOXing?
To put it simply, DOXing is the practice of researching an individual online to find all of their personal information (like full names, family names, addresses, phone numbers, SSNs, etc.) and then posting all of this information online (like on a forum) in a malicious manner. It's an unwelcome disclosure of highly sensitive information about a person.

To put it simply, DOXing is the practice of researching an individual online to find all of their personal information (like full names, family names, addresses, phone numbers, SSNs, etc.) and then posting all of this information online (like on a forum) in a malicious manner. It's an unwelcome disclosure of highly sensitive information about a person.

Oh wow. That is nasty!

What counts as excessive swearing?
Can we use made up swears? :)
Allowing something but then telling people not to do it excessively is a recipe for disaster in my opinion. I can't be certain that this will benefit the community as a whole, especially with the tension between TLOPO and another remake. Could open a floodgate of vulgar arguments.

That's my 2 cents.
I've been mulling over this for a few weeks. More than a handful of people have spoken out against this change. Initially I believed we could keep a handle on it by making it optional and off by default (with suitable filter replacements for swear words), and by demonstrating through examples (which were bound to crop up) what is and isn't considered excessive. Many online discussion platforms and even online multiplayer games provide similar options, and have been mostly-successful and keeping things amicable between members.

That said, maybe I was being naive or overly optimistic. Given the feedback provided from community members and the shaky nature of discussions that have been so prevalent in the past month, I'm going to revert back to disallowing swearing entirely. The new rules will be amended accordingly.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and opinions on the matter.

Another addition I'd like to suggest: we need an addition to the Personal Information section that addresses DOXing. This is unacceptable and should have severe consequences. Personal information being posted maliciously has NO place on the forums under ANY circumstances.
That's already covered, unless I'm missing something. That was actually the entire motivation behind the rule. Doxing is sharing someone's personal information without their consent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back