Ship randomly sinking/being sunk in one shot

I suppose there's a fair argument that Corsairs are a bit overpowered, but personally I kinda like it. It's pretty rare to find challenging PvE interactions in this game.

The right solution to this might just be to 'git gud,' as they say.

Did I mention that Corsairs are my favorite ships in the game and I would be so upset should they nerf them that I might just give up on tlopo. I love them.

But to go from 71 damage per shot to one shotting a War Brig seems a bit much, especially considering said War Brig can take a full SOLT broadside. There's also the cases of my ship randomly sinking for no reason at all..
That’s all about explosives, if you get lucky the Corsair will have no explosives in its broadside but it is common for them to have enough to one-shot any player’s ship.

That’s all about explosives, if you get lucky the Corsair will have no explosives in its broadside but it is common for them to have enough to one-shot any player’s ship.

Yes, common. But if you have full health in the hull, Take Cover will usually protect even a Stormchase War Sloop, which I generally use. You are likely to catch fire and have zero hull on that side, but you can make it to port if not surrounded.

One approach is to sneak up, take your first shot broadside-to-broadside (if you can align), then Take Cover before your second round.

Another factor is that if you have a tall ship, you might overshoot the Corsair. This is a general problem when attacking sloops -- you tend to hit the sails unless you line up right (or if you're in a player sloop).

I also think -- and hopefully someone can confirm this or disprove -- that if you are too close, their explosive hits you even harder.

Yes, common. But if you have full health in the hull, Take Cover will usually protect even a Stormchase War Sloop, which I generally use. You are likely to catch fire and have zero hull on that side, but you can make it to port if not surrounded.

One approach is to sneak up, take your first shot broadside-to-broadside (if you can align), then Take Cover before your second round.

Another factor is that if you have a tall ship, you might overshoot the Corsair. This is a general problem when attacking sloops -- you tend to hit the sails unless you line up right (or if you're in a player sloop).
A Corsair is capable of one-shotting a rank 6 Skull and Bones War Frigate with regularity and is certainly capable of one-shotting a Stormchaser War Sloop with take cove activated. Of course the amount of explosives in a broadside is variable and you can get lucky and survive your poor judgment in lingering in the broadside of one.

I also think -- and hopefully someone can confirm this or disprove -- that if you are too close, their explosive hits you even harder.

Explosives do the same damage regardless of range. What you're likely experiencing is that being closer will decrease the chance of additional explosives missing.

Explosives do the same damage regardless of range. What you're likely experiencing is that being closer will decrease the chance of additional explosives missing.
While it is true that explosives do the same damage regardless of range it is also true that explosives have very limited range and are easily evaded by keeping a short distance. My experience has been that generally it is better to be closer rather than further away if you are going to pass within the enemy's firing arc, this is because it takes a limited time for the enemy to lock on to your ship and the amount of time that you will be in it's firing arc is less when you are closer. If you pass through it's firing arc fast enough it will miss completely, if you are a tad slow it may clip you with one round (which may or may not be explosive), and if you linger you are at the mercy of the random number of explosives that happen to be generated on that particular broadside since 100% of the shot will hit you. My war frigate will generally have it's armor reduced to zero and take about 50% damage when clipped by one explosive, I will laugh it off and beg crew for forgiveness and repairs, lol.

While it is true that explosives do the same damage regardless of range it is also true that explosives have very limited range and are easily evaded by keeping a short distance. My experience has been that generally it is better to be closer rather than further away if you are going to pass within the enemy's firing arc, this is because it takes a limited time for the enemy to lock on to your ship and the amount of time that you will be in it's firing arc is less when you are closer. If you pass through it's firing arc fast enough it will miss completely, if you are a tad slow it may clip you with one round (which may or may not be explosive), and if you linger you are at the mercy of the random number of explosives that happen to be generated on that particular broadside since 100% of the shot will hit you. My war frigate will generally have it's armor reduced to zero and take about 50% damage when clipped by one explosive, I will laugh it off and beg crew for forgiveness and repairs, lol.

Glad you have a strategy for dodging explosives. I prefer to stay out of range of the explosives to avoid any shots ever hitting me personally, as it makes more sense to just not be in range of them in the first place -- can't be hit by something that can't reach you. Tad easier to account for things such as lag or random CPU spikes this way, as well.

Either way, just wanted to clarify the explosive mechanics a little.

Glad you have a strategy for dodging explosives. I prefer to stay out of range of the explosives to avoid any shots ever hitting me personally, as it makes more sense to just not be in range of them in the first place -- can't be hit by something that can't reach you. Tad easier to account for things such as lag or random CPU spikes this way, as well.

Either way, just wanted to clarify the explosive mechanics a little.
Definitely safer and easier to stay out of range. I just wanted to point out that if you are going to travel within range it is better to be closer not farther. I do employ both of these strategies on every one of my runs, I'm a bit of a Corsair aficionado, lol.

Agree with Eric about swooping in close for the first shot of Corsair, etc. It seems not only that the angle of their broadside (% of cannons that can hit you) is reduced but there is also a reaction/response time.

Truecrash's caution about lag is very apt now that I'm experiencing actual freezes on screen. Somehow one of the recent software tweaks made system crash very unlikely but lag very intense when in the presence of more than one other player's ship.

Agree with Eric about swooping in close for the first shot of Corsair, etc. It seems not only that the angle of their broadside (% of cannons that can hit you) is reduced but there is also a reaction/response time.

Truecrash's caution about lag is very apt now that I'm experiencing actual freezes on screen. Somehow one of the recent software tweaks made system crash very unlikely but lag very intense when in the presence of more than one other player's ship.
You’re definitely right about lag being far worse when you get closer to other player’s ships, the more of them about the worse it’ get.

Back