Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

So excited! Hopefully it isn't going to be a copy paste from Empire Strikes Back like a lot of fans are thinking.

Just out of curiosity, why'd you think it was awful?
I don’t really think it’s awful, I just didn’t like a lot of the plot points in the film. I thought it was dumb that there was another empire and another Death Star. I didn’t like how the main character always won, everything was given to her without seemingly any practice or experience (knew how to fly the millennium falcon & how to fight & defeat a sith apprentice with no training). An obvious problem was the similarity in structure to a new hope. Also (to me) it didn’t feel like Star Wars to me, I didn’t like the music and such (minor issue). Most of my gripes with the story are explained in a book that goes into what led up to the events of the movie, and most of my dislike towards the movie are my personal taste and whatnot, so take this as you will.
It’s not necessarily a bad film, but to me it isn’t a good Star Wars film. Rogue one was good though. Haven’t seen LJ yet.

SPOILER ALERT: but I mean, duh! :p
I'll start with the things I did like; Visually, I think TLJ gave us some of the coolest looking things we've ever seen in Star Wars. The Hyperspace kamikaze, the entire fight between Rey, Kylo, and the guards. All super cool. I also liked the explanation Luke gives of the force, and how the Jedi are no longer needed. The force will be there long after the Jedi/Sith.

So I feel like there was potential for sooo much more here, say what you what about JJ's The Force Awakens, but one thing he certainly delivered on was creating mystery. The entirety of the SW fanbase for the last 2 years has been fixed on speculation on so many topics: Who is Snoke? Who were Rey's parents? Where did Mas get Luke's lightsaber? And tons more of less plot breaking questions.

TLJ could have been worse, but I feel like they looked at the biggest theories and fan speculations, and threw them in the garbage bin. (Like Luke literally did with his lightsaber) They give us a very underwhelming answer to Rey's parents, and now I don't think it really matters who 'Supreme' Leader Snoke was. Every bit of anticipation the movie had, it squashed.

And it gave us a plot so obscure and constantly changing that it was hard to get behind the characters. There were way too many 'Last stand' finale moments in this film, that the gravity of the situations felt diminished.

Examples; They made you feel the only way for the Resistance to flee successfully was to destroy the Dreadnought at the beginning of the movie, and they made it a huge finale-esque type scene.

They made it seem as the only way to flee was to get the 'coder' and we follow Finn and Rose in the most pointless subplot which is riddled by this 'political ad' on animal cruelty and slavery (Both noble causes, just felt so forced and out of place) and then this whole subplot falls through and it's just a way to eat up the screen time and push the Rose and Finn 'Ship'. Rinn? I guess, or Frose? Nvm idk, I didn't like they're relationship, the chemistry seems forced. Maybe I just like Finn and Rey better? idk. And her 'saving' his life at the end was awful, she preached on how her sister died a hero's death at the start of the movie and how Finn was a coward, and then he has this moment to sacrifice his life to save his friends, and she stops him, as the door gets blown open she's saying this line of 'we gotta save the ones we love" or something along those lines, It's just messed up, and she kisses him in a really awkward peck, makes it seem like she saved him totally selfishly because she likes him, even though he was ready to give his life for the cause.

And to list the rest of the finale-esque scenes: Rey and Kylo's fight with the guards, Finn vs. Phasma (Very disappointing btw.... AGAIN!) the Hyperspace kamikaze, The big door cannon thing, Luke vs Kylo.

There were so many 'big moments' that I felt like the film ended up flat.

Out of place humor, like BB8 driving the walker in the hanger, like it was sweet in RoTJ when Chewie did it, and now they are recycling the jokes.

Admiral Ackbar is gone in the most anticlimactic death for a beloved character and meme. And the admiral given the most awesome death in SW history is a purple haired admiral that the movie made you dislike the entire time for not sharing the plan, and the only reason they had to withhold the plan, was to keep the audience in the dark, keeping us in suspence, driving Po to take action, and the whole Finn and Rose plots to start, which now makes them even more pointless behind the Admiral could have stopped all of that from happening.

And then to give her a finale like that as if I am suppose to be rallied by her death? They should have given this sort of ending to a character we liked, allowing us to really get behind their sacrifice, not some character just introduced to us as a stuck up soccer mom (First thing that came to mind)

Leia flying..
Luke drinking space walrus milk..
These are just some of my issues with the film. I have much much more but I got way too knit picky already :'D

SPOILER ALERT: but I mean, duh! :p
I'll start with the things I did like; Visually, I think TLJ gave us some of the coolest looking things we've ever seen in Star Wars. The Hyperspace kamikaze, the entire fight between Rey, Kylo, and the guards. All super cool. I also liked the explanation Luke gives of the force, and how the Jedi are no longer needed. The force will be there long after the Jedi/Sith.

So I feel like there was potential for sooo much more here, say what you what about JJ's The Force Awakens, but one thing he certainly delivered on was creating mystery. The entirety of the SW fanbase for the last 2 years has been fixed on speculation on so many topics: Who is Snoke? Who were Rey's parents? Where did Mas get Luke's lightsaber? And tons more of less plot breaking questions.

TLJ could have been worse, but I feel like they looked at the biggest theories and fan speculations, and threw them in the garbage bin. (Like Luke literally did with his lightsaber) They give us a very underwhelming answer to Rey's parents, and now I don't think it really matters who 'Supreme' Leader Snoke was. Every bit of anticipation the movie had, it squashed.

And it gave us a plot so obscure and constantly changing that it was hard to get behind the characters. There were way too many 'Last stand' finale moments in this film, that the gravity of the situations felt diminished.

Examples; They made you feel the only way for the Resistance to flee successfully was to destroy the Dreadnought at the beginning of the movie, and they made it a huge finale-esque type scene.

They made it seem as the only way to flee was to get the 'coder' and we follow Finn and Rose in the most pointless subplot which is riddled by this 'political ad' on animal cruelty and slavery (Both noble causes, just felt so forced and out of place) and then this whole subplot falls through and it's just a way to eat up the screen time and push the Rose and Finn 'Ship'. Rinn? I guess, or Frose? Nvm idk, I didn't like they're relationship, the chemistry seems forced. Maybe I just like Finn and Rey better? idk. And her 'saving' his life at the end was awful, she preached on how her sister died a hero's death at the start of the movie and how Finn was a coward, and then he has this moment to sacrifice his life to save his friends, and she stops him, as the door gets blown open she's saying this line of 'we gotta save the ones we love" or something along those lines, It's just messed up, and she kisses him in a really awkward peck, makes it seem like she saved him totally selfishly because she likes him, even though he was ready to give his life for the cause.

And to list the rest of the finale-esque scenes: Rey and Kylo's fight with the guards, Finn vs. Phasma (Very disappointing btw.... AGAIN!) the Hyperspace kamikaze, The big door cannon thing, Luke vs Kylo.

There were so many 'big moments' that I felt like the film ended up flat.

Out of place humor, like BB8 driving the walker in the hanger, like it was sweet in RoTJ when Chewie did it, and now they are recycling the jokes.

Admiral Ackbar is gone in the most anticlimactic death for a beloved character and meme. And the admiral given the most awesome death in SW history is a purple haired admiral that the movie made you dislike the entire time for not sharing the plan, and the only reason they had to withhold the plan, was to keep the audience in the dark, keeping us in suspence, driving Po to take action, and the whole Finn and Rose plots to start, which now makes them even more pointless behind the Admiral could have stopped all of that from happening.

And then to give her a finale like that as if I am suppose to be rallied by her death? They should have given this sort of ending to a character we liked, allowing us to really get behind their sacrifice, not some character just introduced to us as a stuck up soccer mom (First thing that came to mind)

Leia flying..
Luke drinking space walrus milk..
These are just some of my issues with the film. I have much much more but I got way too knit picky already :'D
Just saw it. I have the same exact opinions. On the nose.

I don’t really think it’s awful, I just didn’t like a lot of the plot points in the film. I thought it was dumb that there was another empire and another Death Star. I didn’t like how the main character always won, everything was given to her without seemingly any practice or experience (knew how to fly the millennium falcon & how to fight & defeat a sith apprentice with no training). An obvious problem was the similarity in structure to a new hope. Also (to me) it didn’t feel like Star Wars to me, I didn’t like the music and such (minor issue). Most of my gripes with the story are explained in a book that goes into what led up to the events of the movie, and most of my dislike towards the movie are my personal taste and whatnot, so take this as you will.
It’s not necessarily a bad film, but to me it isn’t a good Star Wars film. Rogue one was good though. Haven’t seen LJ yet.
Oh, I understand now. I thought you were referring to this one since you said TLJ was awful; you actually meant TFA.

I agree that that one was a little too similar to ANH.

I didn't mind that scene at all. The one that bothered me involved...
...a certain someone flying like Mary Poppins.
I think I know how they're going to write a certain someone out of the next movie.
554.gif

I did enjoy The Last Jedi! My ranking of all the films would go, from best to worst.

Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
The Last Jedi
A New Hope
The Force Awakens
Rogue One
Revenge of the Sith
Attack of the Clones
Phantom Menace

I don't like the prequels, think they're bad films, but appreciate the memes

Back