Suggestions for TLOPO...

WhiteSkyMage

Swashbuckler
I didn't find a thread to post suggestions, so let's post them all here, or move this if there is one...
Of course, those should be looked upon AFTER the game, as it was in 2013, is brought back!

So here are my suggestions for TLOPO:
I always liked challenge and teamwork in all games I have played. So my suggestions would be mostly based around that.
Let me start with SAILING...
> NPC Jobbers - Have you noticed that when you sail, and you use your first 2 skills to shoot, the cannons that are on the "2nd level" of the ship actually shoot? Well who loads and shoots those? NPCs? So, wouldn't it be fair for you to actually HIRE them? So from that NPC you go to buy your ships, there should be just another TAB or a Button to hire those NPCs. In some pirate games they are called "swabbies" or "jobbers". You can order them to do a mini game or use the cannons. You can fill your ship with swabbies if you go solo sail. The number of swabbies depends on the ship. I will cover this in more detail later.
> RUM! Pirates love it you know? Without rum on your ship, things can't run so smoothly. You will have limited HP (like after you have died and went to the jail at an island), when you are boarding another ship to fight its crew. Also will cause the precision of aiming on cannons to be reduced. The amount of rum consumed is dependent on the amount of time spent at sea. Rum can be purchased from Distillery shoppe or stall.
> Different Kinds of voyages - For now we know about only one type of voyage which is in a way, a normal "pillage". Other than that we can have more:
Sea Monster Hunt: It allows pirates to chart a ship to a location at sea. Depending on which location you go, you would either fight Sea monsters, Undead zombies or Kraken gathered in that zone. Charts are in a form of a maps and can be obtained from plunder in a normal pillage (from boarding ships), or any ground boss monster (Ex. Jolly Roger). Can also be traded between players. Plunder from SMH can include rare clothing, rare weapons, a lot of gold and more.
Flotilla Attack: Same as Sea Monster Hunt, but you go to a point in the ocean to fight gathered Royal Navy ships. Plunder in Sea Monster Hunts and Flotilla Attacks are a lot richer than normal pillages.
> Ships - Ok that's big one....
1) Increase of Crew and Cargo on the current ships,
2) add 2 or more mini games
(bilge pumping and sailing)
Light Sloop - max crew members up to 7 (+6 swabbies), cargo (mass 10k; volume 20k) and
2 (+6 swabby) cannons, 2 bilge, 2 carp, 2 sails
Light Galleon - max crew members up to 12 (+10 swabbies) and cargo (mass 18k; volume 36k),
4(+10 swabby) cannons, 4 bilge, 4 carp, 6 sails
Light Frigade- max crew members up to 15 (+10 swabbies) and cargo (mass 13.5k; volume 20.5k)
8(+10 swabby) cannons, 3 carp, 2 bilge, 5 sails
Light Brig - max crew members up to 15 (+14 swabbies) and cargo (mass 13.5k; volume 20.5k)
8(+14 swabby) cannons, 3 carp, 2 bilge, 5 sails
Sloop - max crew members up to 12 (+10 swabbies) and cargo (mass 18k; volume 36k)
4 (+10 swabby) cannons, 2 bilge, 3 carp, 4 sails
Galleon - max crew members up to 30 (+10 swabbies) and cargo (mass 40k; volume 60k)
8 (+10 swabby) cannons, 2 bilge, 3 carp, 5 sails
Frigate - max crew members up to 20 (+10 swabbies) and cargo (mass 54k; volume 81k)
10 (+10 swabby) cannons, 6 bilge, 9 carp, 6 sails
Brig - max crew members up to 30 (+14 swabbies) and cargo (mass 90k; volume 135k)
10(+14 swabby) cannons, 4 bilge, 6 carp, 9 sails
War Sloop - max crew members up to 20 (+14 swabbies) and cargo (mass 54k; volume 81k)
6 (+14 swabby) cannons, 9 carp, 6 bilge, 6 sails
War Galleon - max crew members up to 30 (+10
swabbies) and cargo (mass 270k; volume 405k)
4 (+10 swabby) cannons, 14 bilge, 14 carp, 9 sails
War Frigate - max crew members up to 75 (+20 swabbies) and cargo (mass 216k; volume 324k)
14 (+20 swabby) cannons, 18 sails, 18 carp, 12 bilge
War Brig - max crew members up to 45 (+20 swabbies) and cargo (mass 121.5k; volume 182.5k)
12 (+20 swabby) cannons, 14 sails, 9 carp, 8 bilge
Ship of the line - max crew members up to 159 (+24 swabbies) and cargo (mass 540k; volume 810k)
14 (+24 swabby) cannons, 30 sails, 24 carp, 16, bilge

Yes, I have changed the cargo measures to mass(kg) and volume(L). If I have to calculate it, since I don't really know how much each chest weights, it would mean you would have to plunder quite a lot of ships to fill it up. Example - Mass 10k means the maximum weight of the cargo on ship can not exceed 10 000kg, Volume 20k means the volume of the cargo can not exseed 20 000kg. However don't forget that you will have rum(1kg, 1L) and cannon balls(14kg, 2L) on your ship!
Also as you can see the difference between the number of cannons and the max number of players that can go on a ship. This is because some of them would be playing the mini games for ship repairs (carpentry), bilge out water or do sailing (to increase the speed of your ship), or just laze around watching the battle/defending the ship from enemy members boarding. All of this is done so that there is perfect teamwork and everyone has a job to do on that ship. Also for those of you who thought that "War" ships were overpriced, that includes me, now they are actually worth their price!
3) Guild battles (or rather FLAG battles)- this is going to be a lot of work, but hell it will be cool:
Basically there would be new islands which you can take over by invasion (just the same way that Jolly Roger invades) and own. Your flag (explained on the next post) needs to destroy all the ships near the island (do a blockade), land and take over the governmental buildings (defeat any defenders of the island and capture the Palace). If your flag owns a island, they get gold from all the shoppes on that island as tax. You can also build new shoppes if you desire and as a governor, you are the one to set taxes. Main islands like Port Royal, Cuba, Tortuga and other islands can't be owned by players. If your crew is not in a flag, you can help other flags in a blockade and get paid for that.
4) Booty division - after you have return from your long journey, why not divide the plunder? Depending on when you have boarded the ship, and the set share of the crew, you will get your gold accordingly. Remember that swabbies also get a small share of the booty.

ok that was a lot of reading, and obviously a lot of changes. Yeah I guess for now that I can suggest, it's already enough to look for. You can suggest anything else...just try not to make stuff too easy, instead make it harder!

Last edited:
Agree, however I think Jobbers don't suite TLOPO, the game shouldn't be too complicated, it's a good system as it is. Agree with everything else.

Agree, however I think Jobbers don't suite TLOPO, the game shouldn't be too complicated, it's a good system as it is. Agree with everything else.

Well, I don't see how Jobbers make it more complicated, but let me explain how the NPC Jobbers would work in more detail:
You are just going to have to click a single button to hire them every time you are going to be doing a pillage with your own ship. Simple as that, they are just there to "get the ship going" and in the end get paid depending on the time they stayed on your ship. You don't have to actually hire a lot if you are only going to be moving from one island to another. In that case you will NOT be using your right and left skills to shoot the cannons. With only about 3-6 NPC Swabbies to fill your minimum stations on ship (bilge, sail and repair), you will pay them less than 50gold! You can also control them. If you want your ship to go fast you order them to do sailing stations, or bilging stations if there is water in your ship. I hope that makes more sense.

And usually goes like this: More damage done to ship -> more water will flood faster -> ship speed decrease. Also if you let the ship stay on one place(usually when waiting for more players to board your ship) without anybody doing bilging, it also floods up with water. Then you have to order a lot of people to do bilging and sailing so that your ship can go faster.

By the way, If you have noticed, i did not change anything other than the amount of cargo and players that can go onto a ship. Everything else is just added up features to encourage teamwork. The cannons I just counted them and wrote how many they are, so that we know how many Swabbies are needed.

Let me just say one more thing about ship supplies, in case I did not make it clear. Yes, if you are going to be starting your own pillage or flotilla attack, or Sea Monster Hunt, you will have to load the ship with cannon balls, Rum and Swabbies, and those are all of your expenditures on supplies needed on the ship. Every pirate will use those cannon balls that you have loaded the ship with (including the swabbies that will be shooting the cannons on the 2nd deck of your ship whenever you click the skill to shoot right/left), everybody will be drinking that rum, and those are the 2 most important supplies you must take care of! Exactly! Gold will be more valuable and so bigger ships will be harder to afford...especially if you are one of those players that is used to spend gold carelessly.

Oh and let me add the last voyage, though that's not really that awesome... Basically you can go to an uninhabited islands to do foraging with a crew - a mini game that let's you gather food, rare gems, gold and other special items. Islands such as Cutthroat Isle and Outcast Isle are good examples of where you can do foraging. The booty again gets split as I explained before once you return to a colonized island. Though that is again another mini game...They can just add this even now, if they choose to invest the time into.

Last edited:
Oh god such a long post.....

7467c78954470032f3ea7e25252bc89019062ff4287a41d134a4998f6b22db7e.jpg

Back on topic, i actually like all of the ideas mentioned. Be rather interesting to see them implemented in TLOPO.

OK guys, more is coming. The previous was only about Sailing and Ships, let's talk Crews, Guilds and Flags.
Ok, so again, tell me if you don't agree with this, or you don't understand something.

> RANKS in Guilds. I have thought a lot about how those should work and looked up to see if Pirates of the Burning Seas can give me some ideas, but not much I found there...Now I know that this can actually defeat the purpose of Crews (temporally parties of players), since I just included a rank for this in the guilds themselves. For that reason I chose to just call this "group" all together to be a "Crew" instead of a "Guild". I will explain more on that later. Let me first tell you about the ranks...
I start from top to bottom ranks.
-Captain - The highest rank a player can have in a crew. Captains generally have either started a crew or were a former officer promoted by the previous captain. Captains have the power to demote and promote anyone, change the crew articles (issues) and assign titles to anyone including themselves. It is considered difficult to be captain of a crew (as so a leader of a guild) and takes very hard work and dedication. Make sure to have a Captain badge to use your captain rights. In the plunder division captains can receive different share from other ranks depending on the crew's booty shares.
-Senior Officer - The second highest rank a player can have in a crew. Senior officers have all the abilities of fleet officer (lower rank officer). They can also demote and promote (up to fleet officer). Unlike the lower ranking members of the crew, senior officers and the captain can expel or denote anyone of lower rank. If you want to expel somebody, that person must be denoted to the lowest rank (Cabin Person) in order to be expelled. The requirements for promotion to senior officer can differ with each crew. The rank should be generally given after long period of officer-ship, during which they show considerable loyalty to the crew, recruit several new players, and show good leadership qualities. Senior officers are to be recognized as leaders of their crew, often acting as interim captain when he is away. You can also consider them as the first mates of a crew. You have to buy a Senior officer badge (or Captain badge) for you to have all the rights of a Senior officer. In the plunder division Senior officers can receive different share from other ranks depending on the crew's booty shares.
-Officers/Fleet Officers - Third and Forth highest rank a player can have in a crew. Players should generally be given the rank of an officer if they have played regularly for around a month in the crew, but the requirements for promotion differ with each crew. They have more rights than Pirates/Cabin people assigned by the senior officers or captain. They can use any unlocked ships in the crew. As an Officer you can purchase Rum and Cannon balls to do your pillage, but you can NOT sell goods or remove gold from the hold(inventory) of the ship. You can only access the hold on your personally owned ship. To have full access the unlocked ships owned by the crew, you have to be Fleet Officer Rank. You can add charts to the navigation table of unlocked crew ships, but not remove them. You can also vote on promotions or demotions of another pirate. To be a Fleet Officer, you have to prove yourself to be trustworthy, again requirements can differ from crew to crew. Fleet Officers have more rights in the crew than Officers. As fleet officer you can access the hold of unlocked ships and move charts (remove or add) to navigation table. If you are loyal to the crew, recruit members and are generally friendly, you can be promoted to Senior officer. You would also need a badge of an officer/fleet officer in order for your rights/promotion to be granted, so make sure to buy one if you will be getting a promotion or you have been promoted. In the plunder division officers/fleet officers can receive different share from other ranks depending on the crew's booty shares.
-Pirates - The second lowest rank a player can have in a crew. You have to purchase a pirate badge from the governmental estate building. You have all the rights of the cabin person, you can also vote on issues of your crew. If you have a ship (most likely you will), your crew can give you the opportunity to use unlocked crew ships, for officer training, but that would differ from crew to crew. Make sure you have a pirate badge, or you would always stay as a cabin person, even if you have been promoted to pirate rank by captain or Senior officer. In the plunder division pirates can receive different share from other ranks depending on the crew's booty shares.
-Cabin Person - Lowest Rank in the crew. This rank is assigned by default when a player joins a crew. As cabin person, you can only bilge, sail or repairs (carpentry). This rank is recommended to be reserved for punishment for players. Once a player joins a crew, promote them to pirates! In the plunder division cabin people can receive different share from other ranks depending on the crew's booty shares.
-Jobbing Pirate - A temporally position in a crew (just like being temporally in a party in other MMOs). You can do sailing, carpentry and bilging, but you can also gun if an officer of the crew allows you to. Jobbing pirates can be invited to be full member of the crew (if they are have not join another crew already). Jobbing Pirates can receive different share from other ranks depending on the crew's booty shares when plunder is divided. All Jobbers would have the green cup
latest
above their heads (the one you had when you joined a crew in POTCO). And this is the temporal rank, which I was talking about earlier. Since the rank defeats the purpose of having a crew (a temporal party of pirates joining only for a pillage or grinding on land), this is why instead of calling a big "group" of pirates a "guild" we would call it a "crew", which would be a more correct way to reffer to a large group of pirates as that's how they are reffered to in the movies Pirates of the Caribbean!

Now I know I talked about a lot of things that I have not mentioned before so I will explain them:
? News and issues are notices important enough to be seen by all crew and flag members. Crew news can be created by pirates ranked officer and above, while flag news can only be created by royals & monarchs. News can also be created by certain in-game events. I will talk about what "flags" are later. Depending on the crew politics, and the rank of the pirate viewing them, some news and issues may require a vote to be acted upon. How to view them - see "How do I view crew info?".
? Do I have to be an officer to do my own pillages?
Yes you do, even if you own a ship, you have to be promoted to an officer or above in order for you to organize your own pillages/flotilla attacks/SMH/foraging. If you are not in a crew, start one and you immediately can go on sail even if you are the only one in that crew. Make sure to have at least an officer badge!
? Requirements for creating a Crew?
You need a captain's badge and a fixed amount of gold to create a crew (would be decided by devs). Crew names can be between 2 and 24 characters long, consist only of the letters (A-Z, a-z), along with the hyphen (-) and the apostrophe ('). Crew members will need to purchase appropriate badges as well.
? How do I join a crew?
Only an officer (or above) can invite someone into a crew. To invite someone to temporarily join the crew, use the "/job" command. This bestows the temporary rank of jobbing pirate upon them. This rank remains until they leave their jobbing crew, or they log off. To invite someone to permanently join the crew, click on the pirate, and then select the "Invite" option from the menu. Note that the pirate must be "jobbed" before they can be invited to join as a permanent member.
? How do I view the crew info?
There should be 2 options on top of the crew members dialogue box - Info and Issues. Click on "Crew Info" for crew information and portrait. Click on "Issues" to see crew news. You can vote for certain issues.
? How to leave a crew?
Click on "Crew Info" then scroll down to the very bottom. Click "Leave Crew" and then confirm. This is made so that you do not accidentally leave your crew, that's why it requires a few extra steps in order to leave it.
? What are the booty shares of a crew?
Booty shares are the breakdown of how plunder is split at the end of a voyage. The captain of a crew chooses the type of booty share breakdown when he or she creates the crew, and he or she can change it at any time.
There are nine breakdowns of booty shares to choose from (all shares are shown in their lowest proportions):
EH8YY1U.png

It's important to note that, in the comparison of two different breakdowns, a higher number does not necessarily indicate a higher share. Consider these two examples, in which the jobber does better with a "1" share than with a "5" share:
Crew 1
Even

A jobbing pirate finishes jobbing with a crew that uses the "Even" (each player receives one share) booty share and a 25% ship restocking. On the pillage, the crew earned 10,000 gold and there were four pirates aboard in total: two jobbing pirates, a senior officer, and a captain (assuming all on board fought the same number of sea battles and no other pirates were on the pillage). The first thing that occurs is 25% of the booty being removed for ship restocking. The total is now 7,500 gold. There are two jobbers, one senior officer, and a captain (1 share + 1 share + 1 share + 1 share = 4 total shares). Each person receives 1,875 gold.

Crew 2
The Cruel Shelf

A crew uses "The Cruel Shelf" (5/10/12/15/20/20/20) and a 25% ship restocking. The 10,000 gold has 25% taken out accordingly. The 7,500 left is divided among the same four players (two jobbers, a senior officer, and a captain). Adding up the total number of shares, there are 50 (5 + 5 + 20 + 20). However, the captain and senior officer each receive twenty shares while each jobbing pirate only gets five. They get 3000 gold each, but the jobbing pirates only get 750. This puts jobbers at a clear disadvantage.

What counts is not the number, but the percentage it represents. Although it is not possible to compute the exact percentage without knowing the precise composition of the crew aboard the ship, a jobber will generally be best off when jobbing with a crew using the "Jobber's Delight," "Trader Shares," or "Even" breakdown.
? Locking ships when you are in a crew...
Any pirate may lock any ships that they own to prevent them from being either used / emptied or sunk by the rest of their crew, no matter what crew rank. There are three types of locks - personal use, Crew use, Battle ready.
Personal use - self explanatory. Only you can use this ship, if you are officer rank.
Crew Use - All officers in the crew have their privileges, but only the owner may enter Flag VS Flag blockades, flotillas or sea monster encounters with that ship. Any officer may be allowed to do a pillages.
Battle Ready - All officers in the crew may sail into Flag VS Flag blockades, flotillas and sea monster encounters.
? Where do I buy badges?
You can buy them in the palace shoppe on any colonized island for gold. These items provide the holder with the ability to hold a given rank, or lower, in a crew or the ability to take employment at a shoppe or stall. Labor badge also enables you to forage from an uncolonized island.

> Flags - Here is where we get serious. On my first post I talked about "Guild battles" remember? Well, for the sake of politics and large scale PvP fights to take over an island, we would have allied Crews fight against other allied Crews. A flag is a collection of crews who ostensibly work together for mutual benefit or protection, but id say it would be actually a social grouping more than anything else. Flags are the political "groups" that can blockade an island to take control of it, and flags are also the groupings that may go to war with one another in sea battles and ground battles on colonized or uncolonized islands.
To create a Flag, a captain must have a captain badge for the option to be available. It would also cost gold in the government building when creating a flag. The structure of a flag looks like this:
Monarch - The Monarch will have the title of King or Queen and is usually the one in charge of said flag, though this is not always the case, and they may be merely a figurehead depending on the way the flag has been organized. Initially, the crew captain who creates the flag is the monarch, though the monarchy can be passed along. It is possible to have a flag without a monarch.
Royal - A royal member of a flag will have the title of Prince or Princess, and shall vote on all flag issues. A pirate must be ranked officer or above in their crew in order to be made a royal of a flag. An autocratic flag can exist only by not having royalty, leaving the monarch with the sole vote on those issues.
Titled - A titled member of a flag is either a lord or lady of the flag. This position provides no advantage or additional functionality and is purely ceremonial. A pirate must be ranked officer or above in their crew to become a titled member of a flag.

All other pirates belonging to the flag are known as Members.
Royalty and titled member positions may be proposed by any royal within the flag. Any status changes must be voted on by the royalty. A simple majority is necessary for the change to carry.
> Chat Channels:
General Chat
- is one of several ways a pirate can communicate with other pirates. This "speak" mode is the standard chat channel, and can be commonly used in inns and outdoors on islands.
Vessel Chat Channel - Allows pirates aboard the same ship to communicate with one another. It is the default chat mode while aboard a ship, and is only available to pirates aboard a ship.
Jobbing Chat Channel - A jobbing pirate can hear discussion of the jobbing crew's crew chat and communicate on it. However, a jobbing pirate will not be informed of players logging on and off of the crew they are jobbing with.
Officer Chat Channel - is a way for officers and higher in rank, who also belong to the same crew, to communicate.
Crew Chat Channel - allows pirates to communicate with all fellow crew members and jobbing pirates
Whisper/Tell Chat - allows any two pirates to communicate in private.
Flag Officer Chat Channel - This chat channel is only available to and seen by members of the flag ranked officer or higher in their respective crews, making it easier to socialize with their flagmates. It is common practice in many flags to broadcast invitations to pillaging/SMH/Flotilla trips, foraging, asking for help, esc. A flag officer should always remember the distinction between the officer channel and flag officer channel, in order to avoid broadcasting confidential crew information to all officers in the flag.
Royalty Chat Channel - This channel is, obviously, only available to and seen by the royals of a flag. It is typically used to discuss flag issues without involving the officers or members of the individual crews. Classified or confidential flag information should only be discussed in this channel.

I guess that's all i wanted to say about all Crews/Guilds/Flags. Feel free to suggest anything more or say what you don't agree with... Ask a question if something is unclear.

Last edited:
no offense but i dont like these ideas. you are changing the entire game by doing this just leave it how it is, by suggestions i thought you meant adding things not making a whole new game. this would take so much longer to make

no offense but i dont like these ideas. you are changing the entire game by doing this just leave it how it is, by suggestions i thought you meant adding things not making a whole new game. this would take so much longer to make

Well, I know it will take time to do. And let me tell, you, the thing that will take LONG time, are the additional islands (about 20-30) that flags can capture and control.
The actual changes to the game I have given here, are all about the guild and crew system. As you can see, I did not touch the ships that much - only increasing cargo and player count on ships. All the other new features, well they can be just another "expansion" to the game. :)

And no I am not changing the "entire game", you are over reacting to small changes. There is a valid reason why I want to "fuse" the "guilds" and "crews". The word "guild" is used in all other general MMORPGs, where this game is supposed to be about pirates, ships, crews... What I did was actually put the function of what a "Crew" did in POTCO (2-12 people that temporally stay in a "group", the same way parties do in other MMOs) as a temporal "rank" in a "guild"(general reference in MMORPGs for a large "group" of people that stay together for longer period of time). Then just throwing the word "guild" out of the way to say that this is a "Crew" of pirates. That way, we are alot closer to the way Crews of pirates were seen in the pirates of the caribbean movies.

So, in that case, you can join a Crew temporally (ex. only for the pillage) with a rank of a "Jobbing pirate" and then leave, or you can ask to join as a full, permanent member of this crew.
If you have already joined a Crew as a full permanent member or created one, no matter your rank, you can join another crew temporally (as Jobbing Pirate rank), while staying in your own Crew with your rank, but will not be able to become their full member, unless you leave your own crew you joined, or created previously. It makes a ton of sense. If you need an example, tell me.

And you said you don't like the ideas? what exactly is it that you don't agree with? Be critical on what you like and what you don't, and why not.

Last edited:
I agree, waayyy too many changes to the game mentioned here. I don't want to come across as offensive but I read a lot of those ideas as things that would actually make the game harder honestly. Paying for people to man your broadsides? Making you have to join a second guild as a crew? Sorry but I'm not really on board with a lot of these

I agree, waayyy too many changes to the game mentioned here. I don't want to come across as offensive but I read a lot of those ideas as things that would actually make the game harder honestly. Paying for people to man your broadsides? Making you have to join a second guild as a crew? Sorry but I'm not really on board with a lot of these
I made an account because I saw this post and just had to comment how outlandish it was...

@WhiteSkyMage - No doubt, your ideas are driven by the "passion" you do have towards POTCO. ;) I know this because of the considerable length you have gone to share such ideas with everyone publicly (both in word and in thought). Truly, the blood of a pirate is flowing relentlessly throughout your veins...which...is a good thing in my book.

Here's the awful truth of the matter and I want you to think deeply about the points below that I am trying to make:

• The #1 demand the ex-POTCO community/indie developers insists upon, unequivocally, is for a POTCO remake to be achieved exactly (or dang near identical) as POTCO was prior September 19, 2013
  • Your ideas, while quite interesting and well thought-out, won't likely be taken seriously simply because of what I state above in addition to the fact that a project leader/indie developer didn't come up with such ideas him or herself (no disrespect here but in retrospect this is a 'trend' I have noticed with just about every project which came along on account of POTCO being closed)
I don't mean for my words to become a bearer of bad news for you (nor do I mean to discourage you) but if you somehow can wrap your arms around each of those truths you might begin to understand - as I have - that a desire to witness a POTCO environment again but one to where "new" content is implemented from the minds and imaginations of community members themselves...that the odds of that happening is just too great, for the most part. *Nevertheless, I for one appreciate your willingness to contribute the above ideas as it takes a considerable amount of courage on your behalf to expose your belief towards such ideas at the expense of said ideas being judged.

With whatever the future holds for pirates of the Caribbean everywhere, may we always be reminded of Tia Dalma's cryptic words which teach us that, "For what we want most, there is a cost which must be paid in the end."

:flag:

Last edited by a moderator:
  • The #1 demand the ex-POTCO community/indie developers insists upon, unequivocally, is for a POTCO remake to be achieved exactly (or dang near identical) as POTCO was prior September 19, 2013
  • Your ideas, while quite interesting and well thought-out, won't likely be taken seriously simply because of what I state above in addition to the fact that a project leader/indie developer didn't come up with such ideas him or herself (no disrespect here but in retrospect this is a 'trend' I have noticed with just about every project which came along on account of POTCO being closed)

I'd say Shamus The Brute hit the main point right on. Everyone from community to developers wants the game restored to the original POTCO . The developers have stated this pretty clearly. The main deviation from making TLOPO identical to POTCO from Sept 13, 2013 is that they plan on adding the items that were in the game and removed, as well as implementing items that have been recovered in the game code, yet were never actually added to the game. I beleive this is mainly weapons, clothing etc

I don't believe that the other reason is quite so accurate. I don't think that the community ideas would be ignored because this particular team didnt come up with them themselves. I feel it may end up being an issue of the ability to add new content, either by the team or the game accepting new content. (wouldn't want the entire game to break by adding new features/storylines/etc) We must remember that the TLOPO team haven't made a game like this before. (I cannot speak for each individual on the team and weither or not they have created any games) They simply may not be able to add to something as complex as the storyline. They won't know until they get to that point and try, which won't be until the game itself is restored as it was.

I also have ideas I would love to see implemented: new weapon ideas, whole new storyline with quests, even snowballs (@John Macbatten ) We all have great ideas of how to make the game even better. It never hurts to share them, it encourages creativity. We just have to wait and see what the team can do with the game, and if they have the ability to change its course.

Alright,

Ok... I don't really expect them to actually add them up at all to be quite honest, though there was a mention developer streams that they do look for new ideas so they could implement in TLOPO, if they can, once the game is back to its original state...I just did this for fun and for them, i don't really insist it to be added.
Again, as you can see on top of my post, i did write "those (ideas) should be looked upon AFTER the game, as it was in 2013, is brought back!" And that explains it all. Thought I thought some people did not actually understand the suggestion about fusion of the guild and crew systems, and the reason i actually made up such a suggestion, that is really what actually worried me most. The other things - well, I didn't even explain them in that much detail, actually I was just "throwing them out", since while writing all that here, I wrote a more extended version of it in a goog doc, actually, it's not even done yet.

Yet people in the IRC also had one of those long ones, again in a doc, though they tried to actually build on top of TLOPO, instead of changing stuff and "drilling down deeper" before adding more content, which is what I was looking into - making this game a little more challenging to play, so that what's added more on top can "build up" on difficulty and fun. I don't really understand, what is the problem if a game is more difficult than before?!

I won't be writing much more than what I already did. They got all that to pick from.
Thanks for taking your time to read this guys. :)

My google doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rOOaywST7V_gLZLkg3nnaP9SgsSyL_1Qe-1DJlqlPK0/edit?usp=sharing

IRC google doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rKh2eTB3aLtsFA0H2GjHKpfkawYawL6otVFI2kgU63Y/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
With all due respect, Grog was intended to be a Material for the Materials Pouch before it was scrapped from the game. I personally would find it very interesting to see how TLOPO could choose to implement it.
The below image is official.
Grog1.jpg

With all due respect, Grog was intended to be a Material for the Materials Pouch before it was scrapped from the game. I personally would find it very interesting to see how TLOPO could choose to implement it.
The below image is official.
Grog1.jpg

Alright. Actually Grog is a type of RUM, so that makes my first point about implementing rum into the game (My first post) very much possible.

Alright. Actually Grog is a type of RUM, so that makes my first point about implementing rum into the game (My first post) very much possible.
Indeed, Grog is rum without calling it rum for the sake of keeping the game child-friendly. As we all know the word "rum" is much more attributed to pirates than "grog" even though they're essentially the same thing (Grog was simply rum mixed with water and a few spices). Children are unlikely to find the word outside of POTCO, and I can only assume this is intentional. They cover their tracks too, asking the player to recover "grog" from enemies, and perhaps even more prominent, the naming of "Doc Grog," (nickname of Doctor Grogan) and that he's a quest character.
I'm not trying to argue or come off as rude, I just feel that Disney had their reasons for doing certain things. Furthermore, I quite like the usage Disney attributed to the Grog item. I think instead of the absence of grog being a limiting factor that it'd have a much better place in the game as a valuable commodity, as a sort of currency for bartering with craftsmen.

I do like the idea of ship expansion, although I'm not sure if or how much tweaking would be needed for your idea to be a viable option since ships are designed for certain purposes and changing their specifications might offset the balance put in place by Disney.
Sloops are advertised as hit-and-run ships with little cargo space, galleons are slower but can pack (and endure) a heavy punch, and carry much more cargo. Frigates are in the middle, and brigs are intended to be an improvement upon the Frigate. I like the crew idea, but as we saw in older versions of POTCO, too many NPCs out on the high seas causes lots of lag. Perhaps if we could optimize the game for somewhat newer devices we could afford to see them return on our own ships.
But do keep in mind POTCO/TLOPO are social games, and there's a reason for the Crew mechanic. Players can strategize whereas NPCs can merely point and shoot with some random amount of inaccuracy.

Of course, these are all just suggestions.
All just some things to keep in mind. :)

Last edited:
Back