Suggestions for TLOPO...

Fun Fact: When they were out at at sea for long voyages, their fresh water supply would get tainted and taste very badly. They would add rum to the water to give it better flavor, although it still tasted badly. This was called "Grog".

Indeed, Grog is rum without calling it rum for the sake of keeping the game child-friendly. As we all know the word "rum" is much more attributed to pirates than "grog" even though they're essentially the same thing (Grog was simply rum mixed with water and a few spices). Children are unlikely to find the word outside of POTCO, and I can only assume this is intentional. They cover their tracks too, asking the player to recover "grog" from enemies, and perhaps even more prominent, the naming of "Doc Grog," (nickname of Doctor Grogan) and that he's a quest character.
I'm not trying to argue or come off as rude, I just feel that Disney had their reasons for doing certain things. Furthermore, I quite like the usage Disney attributed to the Grog item. I think instead of the absence of grog being a limiting factor that it'd have a much better place in the game as a valuable commodity, as a sort of currency for bartering with craftsmen.

I do like the idea of ship expansion, although I'm not sure if or how much tweaking would be needed for your idea to be a viable option since ships are designed for certain purposes and changing their specifications might offset the balance put in place by Disney.
Sloops are advertised as hit-and-run ships with little cargo space, galleons are slower but can pack (and endure) a heavy punch, and carry much more cargo. Frigates are in the middle, and brigs are intended to be an improvement upon the Frigate. I like the crew idea, but as we saw in older versions of POTCO, too many NPCs out on the high seas causes lots of lag. Perhaps if we could optimize the game for somewhat newer devices we could afford to see them return on our own ships.
But do keep in mind POTCO/TLOPO are social games, and there's a reason for the Crew mechanic. Players can strategize whereas NPCs can merely point and shoot with some random amount of inaccuracy.

Of course, these are all just suggestions.
All just some things to keep in mind. :)

Well it doesn't really matter if "Grog" or "Rum" we call it. Let's just say that it's a "drink" that pirates need to do their job "efficiently" on a ship.
I did look at it from all sides of perspective - even if you always buy "Grog" for every single voyage, it will not be such a big deal (yes, the price shouldn't be high, but not too low either, just something to keep in mind).

The other thing you said about this ships - well here is really why i see them needing a change. If you look at the difference in price for a ship and a difference in stats, they are really big - you get very little for paying a lot of gold, especially War ships are very overpriced. And again, to mention the biggest problem - even if ships had 25 cargo slots - you will fill that in less than 30 minutes. With sloops - you kill 3 ships - that's it! You're full with cargo. A game like this is meant to 'keep the fun' in the seas.

I like your last point. Really, yes, optimization is key to having a lot of people and NPCs on on one place. I'd leave that one for really last cuz it's harder to achieve. In my suggestions I actually didn't put any other change about the TLOPO ships other than those two - cargo and more people on board. I however added 2 more mini-games. All the cannons you see - those i just counted from screenshots of the ships and took from the original stats just so it can look more complete.
Everything else is just an addition.

Yeah, id prefer to first play the game as it was before, cuz I didn't really play it for more than 2 weeks. I just wanna see it's full content, though it doesn't offer as much depth compared to any title of today. Just suggesting like this can break the game big time as others have said.

Last edited:
Back