Thanks to TLOPO for not saving my stuff

Of course i do understand that, Roger.
But we can't bring in Disney into this and you have to agree as well that for the community rollbacking a very active time instead of waiting a little with it and oh we found a bug that requires rollback lets announce it so that people don't bring in friends during a weekend to play just to lose it all, it just makes sense to wait a little bit with that sort of problem instead of causing angry faces.

Of course i do understand that, Roger.
But we can't bring in Disney into this and you have to agree as well that for the community rollbacking a very active time instead of waiting a little with it and oh we found a bug that requires rollback lets announce it so that people don't bring in friends during a weekend to play just to lose it all, it just makes sense to wait a little bit with that sort of problem instead of causing angry faces.
While it does make sense to wait, sometimes they don't have that luxury of being able to announce it in advance. Hopefully, we do see an explanation later today.

What they should do like mentioned in another post is not rollback a weekend when players are most active, your arguement makes no sense at all, would not have taken a few days.

oh yes because they know just when game breaking bugs will show up! its perfectly timed!

Rollbacks happen when there is a game breaking bug (such as quests disappearing, inventory items not saving or pirates vanishing). They do not know when a game breaking bug is going to happen, it's not like there's a developer that sits there and goes, "hey let's delete everyone's quests for fun and then rollback LOL". So it's impossible to "schedule" a rollback.

Rollbacks are the last resort when nothing else will work to fix the problem and the damage is irreversible.

This game is in beta. Beta meaning the development is unfinished. Which makes you a beta tester not a player. That means you are supposed to play the game to find bugs, we just happen to be lucky and get to have fun doing it most of the time.

If you are so upset by occasional and rare rollbacks, wait until the game is out of beta and all the bugs are gone.

I assume he means the game coming out of beta.

Unlike Disney, we have a team of developers dedicated to the game, not for want of profit, but for love of the game and love of the community.

They have done incredible work already and will continue to do so. I have ZERO DOUBT that TLOPO will surpass POTCO eventually because they listen to the player base. Because they were players once too and had the same hopes and frustrations with the game as everyone else. Can they make everyone happy? No, but the vast majority of players are.

That's what i'm saying though, of course they will go beyond potco and yea i brought in the just like disney because everyone keeps blaming disney when this isn't even close to disney barely even same game.

And what i am arguing about is maybe to keep everyone happy they shouldn't do it on a weekend where everyone farms and is active for the most part, even bringing in friends who then lose every progress.

ok...would you rather to have it not rolled back and have what ever the bug was to crash the game having it down for a few days or just roll back a few hours and everything good?
This rollback hasn't affected me this time (thank Sparrow) but what I personally would like to see, is a bit more transparency regarding rollbacks. I'm certainly not saying, postpone rollbacks, or make them wait through a weekend. I would like them to make an announcement, once the decision is made. While I respect that rollbacks are part of a beta game, so is good developer to community communication. If they decided to have a rollback, they really should have announced it before undergoing the change. It's not right to leave players wondering, and to me, it makes me not want to play often, because after each update, I'm worried they may have had another secret rollback. Long story short, I would just like transparency regarding these rollbacks. I've made my stance on rollbacks before, I understand and respect that it's part of the testing, my gripe lies in miscommunication, and having multiple rollbacks to combat one issue (looking at you questing rollbacks). I hope this post made sense lol. Just rolled out of bed from a long day, and haven't had coffee yet.

And what i am arguing about is maybe to keep everyone happy they shouldn't do it on a weekend where everyone farms and is active for the most part, even bringing in friends who then lose every progress.

They cannot help what time they are forced to do a rollback. When the game breaking bug happens is unpredictable. Waiting to fix the issue would only make is worse, because the game breaking bug would be in effect for longer, necessitating an even larger rollback. They can't just snip the problem area out all neat and tidy and leave nothing else affected---if they could do that, the rollback wouldn't even be nessicary in the first place.

A rollback is the fix of last resort when absolutely nothing else will work and the bug damage to the game would be otherwise irreversible

This rollback hasn't affected me this time (thank Sparrow) but what I personally would like to see, is a bit more transparency regarding rollbacks. I'm certainly not saying, postpone rollbacks, or make them wait through a weekend. I would like them to make an announcement, once the decision is made. While I respect that rollbacks are part of a beta game, so is good developer to community communication. If they decided to have a rollback, they really should have announced it before undergoing the change. It's not right to leave players wondering, and to me, it makes me not want to play often, because after each update, I'm worried they may have had another secret rollback. Long story short, I would just like transparency regarding these rollbacks. I've made my stance on rollbacks before, I understand and respect that it's part of the testing, my gripe lies in miscommunication, and having multiple rollbacks to combat one issue (looking at you questing rollbacks). I hope this post made sense lol. Just rolled out of bed from a long day, and haven't had coffee yet.
this is what happens when a rollback is needed

*weekend plays out a game breaking but is found in the middle of the weekend after people did stuff*

Dev: guys..there is a game breaking bug and if we dont rollback now it might breake the game even more!

dev2: how long of a rollback?

Dev: about 12 hours

dev2: but that would rollback sunday as the bug was found today

dev: yes..today the game is broken to the point were it could break accounts..but yasterdaythe bug was not there so we can rollback and fix the bug before it happens

Dev2: i see..well lets rollback! but..what about people that did stuff in the 12 hours?

dev: they will need to understand that its beta..and rollbacks will happen because if they do not then people may lose there pirates due to the bug

this is what happens when a rollback is needed

*weekend plays out a game breaking but is found in the middle of the weekend after people did stuff*

Dev: guys..there is a game breaking bug and if we dont rollback now it might breake the game even more!

dev2: how long of a rollback?

Dev: about 12 hours

dev2: but that would rollback sunday as the bug was found today

dev: yes..today the game is broken to the point were it could break accounts..but yasterdaythe bug was not there so we can rollback and fix the bug before it happens

Dev2: i see..well lets rollback! but..what about people that did stuff in the 12 hours?

dev: they will need to understand that its beta..and rollbacks will happen because if they do not then people may lose there pirates due to the bug
I don't disagree, I realize and accept that rollbacks happen, it's part of the beta. But another big part of beta projects, is transparency. I've not played another game in early access or alpha/beta testing, where the developers have rolled back without telling the community beforehand. To me, when that isn't done, I'm very put off. I would be a lot less frustrated, if they would announce "Hey everyone, we've found 'x' bug, and unfortunately a 12 hour rollback will be necessary to fix it, we sincerely apologize" rather than rolling back, not telling anyone, and waiting to post anything while various community members are up in arms about the situation. Again, I want to make clear I AM NOT SAYING ROLLBACKS SHOULD NOT BE EXPECTED. I'm simply asking for more transparency from the devs.

How many more accidents will it take to get the deer crossing signs removed?

This has been explained a bit above, but the developers don't exactly have much choice when it comes to rollbacks. They are done when necessary, and not really planned in advance. In the past, a warning was put out when the need to rollback had been identified ahead of time, but this is not typically the case. After rollbacks, postmortem write-ups are eventually published with further details, but I could agree that some form of notice in the interim would be helpful rather than players being taken by surprise.

I don't disagree, I realize and accept that rollbacks happen, it's part of the beta. But another big part of beta projects, is transparency. I've not played another game in early access or alpha/beta testing, where the developers have rolled back without telling the community beforehand. To me, when that isn't done, I'm very put off. I would be a lot less frustrated, if they would announce "Hey everyone, we've found 'x' bug, and unfortunately a 12 hour rollback will be necessary to fix it, we sincerely apologize" rather than rolling back, not telling anyone, and waiting to post anything while various community members are up in arms about the situation. Again, I want to make clear I AM NOT SAYING ROLLBACKS SHOULD NOT BE EXPECTED. I'm simply asking for more transparency from the devs.

Just how much monetary investment do you have in this game to demand that the people managing it owe you anything? I could see an expectation of transparency if you we paying them to do this work for you but they aren't. They are doing it out of the goodness of their own heart. They have asked for nothing from you. What gives you any right to demand anything from them.

Just remember they could fold up the game tomorrow and discontinue offering you the chance to play it with no announcement to you or compensation for any time you have spent playing this game. Ungrateful and whiny players are more likely to cause active developers to go inactive or disappear altogether. I have watched happen before. I was once an active member is a space MMO game and people demanding information about things they had no right to know cause the guy operation the game to just walk away and stop paying the bills. Once the domain expired we were all left without a place to play or any answers as to why the guy left. I knew what was coming and why it happened because I knew that developer personally and he told me why.

The developers here quite often offer explanations as to why they make the choices they do but it comes hours or days after they make the changes. Sometimes they offer those explanations on Facebook first and sometimes they place messages on the status page. Which would you rather they do? Take the time to take the game offline spend a day answering questions like this thread and then fixing the game and bringing it back up two days later or actually fixing the game and getting it running again before telling you why they pulled it down.

Answers
Repairs
Gameplay

You figure out the order in which you want these thee items. Because whatever order you place them is going to affect the speed at which you get the other two. You can't have them all at once.

Just how much monetary investment do you have in this game to demand that the people managing it owe you anything? I could see an expectation of transparency if you we paying them to do this work for you but they aren't. They are doing it out of the goodness of their own heart. They have asked for nothing from you. What gives you any right to demand anything from them.

Just remember they could fold up the game tomorrow and discontinue offering you the chance to play it with no announcement to you or compensation for any time you have spent playing this game. Ungrateful and whiny players are more likely to cause active developers to go inactive or disappear altogether. I have watched happen before. I was once an active member is a space MMO game and people demanding information about things they had no right to know cause the guy operation the game to just walk away and stop paying the bills. Once the domain expired we were all left without a place to play or any answers as to why the guy left. I knew what was coming and why it happened because I knew that developer personally and he told me why.

The developers here quite often offer explanations as to why they make the choices they do but it comes hours or days after they make the changes. Sometimes they offer those explanations on Facebook first and sometimes they place messages on the status page. Which would you rather they do? Take the time to take the game offline spend a day answering questions like this thread and then fixing the game and bringing it back up two days later or actually fixing the game and getting it running again before telling you why they pulled it down.

Answers
Repairs
Gameplay

You figure out the order in which you want these thee items. Because whatever order you place them is going to affect the speed at which you get the other two. You can't have them all at once.
If I sound entitled I apologize, I just think it's disrespectful to the community testing the game, to not explain why there was a rollback, or give notice? It could easily remedy all the angry people. Tell them a rollback is incoming, they can prepare, by not logging on, and making progress they'll lose, and then not flood the forums with "another rollback, I lost my stuff???" Arguments and attacks. I don't feel entitled to that at all, I feel it's proper practice, but I never once said "I've invested blah blah blah into the game, I'm always right, listen to me, and do this". I've tried to make my points civilly, and not make demands. I volunteer for my local high schools music program, I'm not paid, I get nothing out of it, I do it because I enjoy music, just like these devs volunteer for this program, because they love the game. However, if I were to hand out completely new arrangements of a song, and back track all the material they had learned, it would be right to tell them before I did so, and explain why. Is it required? Nope. But it's respectful, and courteous. Clearly my opinion that there should be more transparency, has ruffled some feathers, and depicted me as entitled, so I think this is likely where I'll leave this thread. Recap. Do I think transparency regarding rollbacks is required? Nope. Do I feel like I'm entitled to that? Not at all. Do I think it's respectful, and reasonable. Absolutely. Have a great evening.

Last edited:
This has been explained a bit above, but the developers don't exactly have much choice when it comes to rollbacks. They are done when necessary, and not really planned in advance. In the past, a warning was put out when the need to rollback had been identified ahead of time, but this is not typically the case. After rollbacks, postmortem write-ups are eventually published with further details, but I could agree that some form of notice in the interim would be helpful rather than players being taken by surprise.

Answers
Repairs
Gameplay

Honestly, none of this back and forth would be going on if once the Devs had realized that a rollback was needed/required/happened after the fact... a notice was given. I think the main complaint is that - nothing - has been said .

There are players logging in for the first time since the update to find out things have been lost, including newly made pirates. I understand there is going to be frustration when a game is in the beta phase. But as I have stated in the past, a little communication goes a long way.

I love being able to be a pirate again, and am most appreciative of the Devs and what they do in their own free time, FOR FREE.

And no they do not owe us anything. But, honestly, a 'heads up' would go a long way (yes, I am a broken record).

:2 cents:

If I sound entitled I apologize
For whatever it's worth, that certainly wasn't my impression. I think what you said is reasonable. It's not strictly possible to give advance notice (sometimes the need for a rollback doesn't become apparent until an update is already in progress), but I do agree the community should be notified as soon as possible. I can't fault anybody for being confused when there is no notification, or for wondering why a notification wasn't published.

Back