TLOPO Alpha Is Now Open!

TLOPO is planning on having a contest very soon, keep your eyes peeled! :)

Yeah, not only WHERE, but can you all list links to all these venues somewhere? Maybe pin the thread of locations at the top of the forum?

Also, can you do a tutorial on HOW TO GET INTO IRC? When I heard contests or giveaways might happen in there I decided to break down and go in (I don't generally like IRC, don't do Facebook or Twit but if it means a shot at Alpha, I'll give in and make accounts just for pirate business). I tried to sgn in to IRC and it kicked me and said I had to sign up at someplace called Gamesurge. I did all that then it gave some message about entering some code somewhere to get validated with no instructions as to where or how to do that. It is a very meager site when it comes to information and not all of us are geeks you know...
:p

Yeah, not only WHERE, but can you all list links to all these venues somewhere? Maybe pin the thread of locations at the top of the forum?

Also, can you do a tutorial on HOW TO GET INTO IRC? When I heard contests or giveaways might happen in there I decided to break down and go in (I don't generally like IRC, don't do Facebook or Twit but if it means a shot at Alpha, I'll give in and make accounts just for pirate business). I tried to sgn in to IRC and it kicked me and said I had to sign up at someplace called Gamesurge. I did all that then it gave some message about entering some code somewhere to get validated with no instructions as to where or how to do that. It is a very meager site when it comes to information and not all of us are geeks you know...
The another remake wikia had a good tutorial on how to get on IRC using KiwiIRC.

http://newpotco.wikia.com/wiki/Kiwi_IRC_Client

Except instead of using "#piratesonlinerewritten", join "#tlopo".

You need to be authenticated with GameSurge in order to join the channel, to do that go to www.gamesurge.net/newuser. There's a whole tutorial on how to make an account and how to "auth".

If you join on Kiwi and get kicked saying to register, type in "/authserv auth yourGameSurgeUsername yourGameSurgePassword", if you auth correctly you should get a notice saying "I recognize you", then type "/join #tlopo" and you're good to go.

@JohnnyDaPirate has all links here .. top of the page http://legendofpirates.boards.net/

The another remake wikia had a good tutorial on how to get on IRC using KiwiIRC.

You need to be authenticated with GameSurge in order to join the channel, to do that go to www.gamesurge.net/newuser. There's a whole tutorial on how to make an account and how to "auth".

If you join on Kiwi and get kicked saying to register, type in "/authserv auth yourGameSurgeUsername yourGameSurgePassword", if you auth correctly you should get a notice saying "I recognize you", then type "/join #tlopo" and you're good to go.

newpotco.wikia?? Well there's one I haven't come across yet. Thanks, I will tackle this project tomorrow...

Thanks, I will check that out!

Okay, I read the newb page:

A9LsmHP.png

Nowhere does it tell me WHERE to type this long authorization line so I tried entering it in both the user name field and then in the password field with my user name in the field above, of course neither worked. So I am now back to wondering WHERE do I enter /authserv AUTH <account name> <password>?? It will also be helpful because I apparently have to do the same thing at I suppose the same place to change this ridiculous password they assigned to me (/authserv PASS <old password> <new password>),

Now they go on about some MIRC "Perform" place to enter this stuff but I don't see anything like this at the Kiwi sign in page.

e91a1l6.png

Then there is more "Troubleshooting" stuff that is even more unclear but does not tell me WHERE to type in these things. Searched around other topics at gamesurge and can't find anything that fits there either.

ANY hints will be GREATLY appreciated!!

You type the /authserv auth into the main chatting box on KiwiIRC.

It will not be shown to others in the channel/query you are in.

Just type in your username (and password if you have it) at the login screen you're talking about. Once you do that it should let you in, however you'll get kicked from the channel. Once that happens, you will then enter those commands into the chat bar at the bottom.

Here, I'll do a quicky step by step guide assuming you've got your password stuff all figured out.

Step 1: Log in screen. Just enter your info. (For me entering the password still usually fails, oh well. Congrats if you get lucky and your password works). If you don't enter a password, everything should still happen the same.

irc1.PNG

Step 2: Identify yourself. This is the /authserv AUTH command that everyone's talking about. Type this command in the chat box at the bottom of the page as shown where it says "send message...". Don't worry, your password won't be shown to anyone as long as you have the / in front of the command.
(If you've gotta change your password using the command you mentioned above, this is also where you'd do it.)

irc2.PNG

Step 3: Join the channel. Type /join #tlopo into the chatbox

irc3.PNG

Have fun and follow the rules. And don't pester Mike for an alpha key :p

Just type in your username (and password if you have it) at the login screen you're talking about. Once you do that it should let you in, however you'll get kicked from the channel. Once that happens, you will then enter those commands into the chat bar at the bottom.

Here, I'll do a quicky step by step guide assuming you've got your password stuff all figured out.

Step 1: Log in screen. Just enter your info. (For me entering the password still usually fails, oh well. Congrats if you get lucky and your password works). If you don't enter a password, everything should still happen the same.

Step 2: Identify yourself. This is the /authserv AUTH command that everyone's talking about. Type this command in the chat box at the bottom of the page as shown where it says "send message...". Don't worry, your password won't be shown to anyone as long as you have the / in front of the command.
(If you've gotta change your password using the command you mentioned above, this is also where you'd do it.)

Step 3: Join the channel. Type /join #tlopo into the chatbox

Have fun and follow the rules. And don't pester Mike for an alpha key :p
was lucky enough to win it on here wich im always active on here

As we approach the 3 month anniversary of TLOPOs alpha opening, what is everyones opinion so far?
  • Are we fixing bugs fast enough?
  • How far would you say we've come in the past 3 months?
  • What would you like us to look like after another three months?
  • What feature would you like to see implemented next? Why?
  • What would you like to see in the Christmas festivities?
  • What's some general feedback on how we've been doing?
  • How well is the server working for you?
  • Is the in-game moderation good enough? If not, where can we improve?
  • What areas would you say we need to improve in?
Reply giving some feedback, I'll read em' all! :)

1. Personally I would like to see the next feature to be the mac alpha version so I can enjoy the Christmas decor in the caribbean ;) Speaking of christmas I would love to see everything that was always there for the holiday. No changes. Well, maybe an occasional snow flurry would be fun and a surprise present to open when a pirate logs in, maybe a nice piece of clothing or a santa hat or something silly like that.
2. For everyone else I would like to see sailing as the next feature. Or enemies. I miss tortuga hold em, it would be fun to play that again too.
3. In the next 3 months I'm hoping to see cannon defense and quests.

You all have done so many amazing things by bringing back this game. Please know there are THOUSANDS of players who loved potco who are counting down the days to play again and we all appreciate your efforts! We can't wait to get the community back together again in the game!

It's honestly been a great 3 months, a lot has been done in such a short amount of time in my opinion, most game breaking bugs have been fixed. If TLOPO continues development at this pace I'm sure in 3 months there will be lots of new ways to have fun and major improvements.

Seeing how fishing is almost done I would love to see looting when catching fish implemented next, you can get mostly every basic item in the game as well as it would really get players into the grinding items mood and definitely see an increase on online players population. (Also fighting over fishing spots hahaha)

I would enjoy seeing the regular POTCO Christmas festive with some TLOPO added into it :p, As far as moderating goes as a suggestion for improvement in the report panel maybe add another option saying "Other" which when clicked on it brings up a text box that allows you to input text, this will be very helpful when reporting misbehaving players.

I can't wait to see what the future holds, it sure will be a fun adventure and hopefully I will be in it until the very end.

Since I know nothing of what is involved with recreating the game it is difficult for me to assess the speed at which the job is coming along. I think we have seen a good amount of progress.

I do wish, since so few are able to play in Alpha, that we could at least have more opportunities to watch live streams whether from developers or just some of the few who are allowed in. Even without major updates to put on display being able to watch real game play also might help keep up the interest of people who have stopped interacting much what with the never ending forum dramas, the wait, etc.

As for what to tackle next, everyone would like to see sailing of course but since some headway has been made on land it would good to see enemies the players can fight as well as more islands and caves. I expect the devs would be the best judges of which they feel they could complete sooner.

For Christmas I would like to see classic POTCO, maybe as suggested above, a pirate Santa hat (new clothes are always great). If enemies could be introduced in time, maybe the player could win a hat by defeating a certain enemy (like the silly party crown hat we could win by defeating a red ghost on Raven's Cove back in the day).

As always, I am so grateful to the devs for their hard work and we are all soooo anxious to get our feet wet again in our beautiful Caribbean!

Since I know nothing of what is involved with recreating the game it is difficult for me to assess the speed at which the job is coming along. I think we have seen a good amount of progress.

I do wish, since so few are able to play in Alpha, that we could at least have more opportunities to watch live streams whether from developers or just some of the few who are allowed in. Even without major updates to put on display being able to watch real game play also might help keep up the interest of people who have stopped interacting much what with the never ending forum dramas, the wait, etc.

Just a FYI, a lot of people post that they are livestreaming in the TLOPO irc channel. The links are there, perhaps we could get someone to maybe post that link here when someone posts they are livestreaming? I'm not always on irc, but when I am, I wouldnt mind posting the link here on a new thread maybe titled "TLOPO livestreams" if you think that would help? I'm sure others who are on the irc that are also members here wouldn't mind. ... thoughts on that?

I love the ideas of a gift to "open" aka code to redeem :)

Anyone who knows me knows I love SAILING..... but honestly I would like to see that MAC version working also. I don't own a MAC, but I know people with keys that have MACs have been patiently waiting.

Traditional sandmen and palms with red ribbons work for me as far as decor goes.

I know very well how much time goes into working on this game, and how many countless hours are spent making the game work and then fixing the bugs. Thank you to all the devs, the ones we see often, and the ones who are content hanging out in the background just doing their thing. Amazing progress writing all that AI and server code, looking forward to whatever you can get going next.

Ahoy

Personally, I think that for many of us – unfortunate pirates who are not yet allowed to play – it would be great to interact more with the devs and see what they are doing, feel their progress, give them our support, show them our gratitude and feed our will to relive the legend.

Honestly, as I already said in a previous post, devs are doing a great job and all of us are grateful for their efforts. But sometimes waiting seems eternity….

Speaking about features that I would love to see improved next, without any doubt, sailing. For many of us, that was the main part of the game (besides interacting with other players), And due to technical difficulties of recreating that major part, show us that it is possible and all of us will surely see a light at the end of the tunnel…

I wish a wonderful Christmas for all

I don't have a key, so I can't really say much. But what I'd love to see as the future becomes present is more updates on the main TLOPO website. Currently it still says "All Hallows Eve" as the newest news story. I'm looking forward to the Christmas post now :)

Maybe some updates or giveaways on the other social media pages?

Also, as a side note, I think that the About Us on the site could also stand to be updated. It says "We expect to being closed alpha stages August 2015" (The typo, it burns!). I don't wanna be a critic, but some constructive criticism can be helpful at times :)

But thanks for all you've done with the game so far, I can't wait to play it in days to come!

I'm ashamed to say, the last three times I've seen this thread in the feed, I see the title and assume it's some kind of announcement about the TLOPO Alpha being open to the public without the need of a key.

Gets me every time. :oops:

Just a FYI, a lot of people post that they are livestreaming in the TLOPO irc channel. The links are there, perhaps we could get someone to maybe post that link here when someone posts they are livestreaming? I'm not always on irc, but when I am, I wouldnt mind posting the link here on a new thread maybe titled "TLOPO livestreams" if you think that would help? I'm sure others who are on the irc that are also members here wouldn't mind. ... thoughts on that?

One of the problems with IRC is that not everyone can open and watch it at all times. If live streamers could post up coming streams in a forum thread (maybe one called "TLOPO Live Streams") then we can subscribe to that thread for notifications. If they stream on YouTube we can subscribe to their channels and also get notifications that way (and have a copy available for viewing later). Twitch notifications don't seem to be too reliable.

1. I'd say you guys are doing a very good job fixing bugs at an agreeable pace.
  2. In the past 3 months, you guys have come from a basic walking around game to a game that is playable, albeit without much to actually do. I am very pleased that you guys gave us potions, fishing, and blackjack to keep us busy and give us something to do.
  3. In the next 3 months, I would like TLOPO to have more islands accessible.
  4. My next wanted feature could be a number of things like weapons, enemies, sailing etc. However, I know these are difficult to code so I'd like to ask for the "Crew" function so that we can talk in groups like we did in POTCO. Perhaps guilds also, although Ive heard they wont be coming until later.
  5. For the Christmas festivities, I'd like to see the old models implemented (sandman jolly and jack), but also perhaps a Christmas tree located on Port Royal or Tortuga?
  6. General feedback: You (mike) and Johnny as well as the other mods have been very receptive to players, keep it up.
  7. Server: The server works very well, minimal lag most of the time. However, sometimes when a new update comes out I will get continually disconnected when logging on.
  8. The moderation is fine even though some words aren't on the whitelist like names ex: Kris.
  9. Improvements: Not anything I can think of, keep working hard on updates.

Back