Announcement TLOPO Moderation Policy Overhaul (Q3 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

While we're on the subject of moderation (it seems to be a hot topic?), I wanted to officially flesh out our new banning procedures and systems. We've finally rolled out all the pieces and parts that it needs to function, so this is the perfect time to let you all know about it.

*It should be noted that the banning protocols themselves have already been in use for quite a few weeks now. We were only waiting on a backend portion to complete the overhaul, which I'll be explaining below.

To start, we no longer ban for standalone language. This means that "reflexive/habitual" typing of certain words or even typos will no longer ban you. The in-game bot that doled out automated warnings and bans has also been disabled for quite some time now. Sweet, right? We've also been employing some other advanced chat cleansing techniques, such as sequencing specific phrases, and even autocorrecting certain common words to a more appropriate replacement. However, let it be known that we can still read what it is that you typed and determine your INTENT behind those words. If you are harassing somebody and you use language or evade the filter, that'll be bannable for harassment of course (and not language use).

I'd also like to introduce our updated banning ladders and the brand new point system.

Banning ladders are currently taking on the following fashion:

• Minor offenses: 0 points, no expiry.
    • All offenses: In-game warning and a kick from the server.
    • If you commit many minor offenses in a row during a particular instance in time, a ban may be pursued.
  • Intermediate offenses: 1 point, 2 month expiry.
    • First offense: Email warning
    • Second offense: 24 hour ban
    • Three+ offenses: 48 hour ban
  • Severe offenses: 2+ points (2 by default, any higher is determined by Senior Moderators), 4 month expiry.
    • First offense: 48 hour ban
    • Second offense: 72 hour ban
    • Three+ offenses: 96 hour ban
    • We reserve the right to increase this category of infraction past 96 hours as well for special cases.
You're probably wondering what all of these different categories mean, right? And what do those points mean? What do the expiry times for points mean, too?

To start, minor offenses are generally those that aren't enough to constitute a violation of the TOS, but they're typically regarded as disruptive (such as causing a ruckus during an event). They're things that are witnessed firsthand by a moderator in most cases.

Intermediate offenses make up the largest chunk of offenses. Things here include harassment, filter evasion, requesting or sharing personally identifiable information, and submitting inappropriate names to name approval, among other things.

Severe offenses also take on a range of various things. If an intermediate infraction (like the ones listed above) cross a certain threshold of number of offending chat logs/instances, the intermediate infraction becomes a severe infraction. Additionally, things like exploiting/autoclicking also fall into this category, as well as misuse of TLOPO services (like email).

These categories are also independent of each other. If you receive one intermediate infraction (email warning) but then commit a severe infraction for instance, you'd receive a 48 hour ban (since it would be the first severe infraction). Offenses are still gradually increasing in severity by nature, just a bit more divided out. This is done with the interest of keeping accounts around longer before termination.

Okay, enough mumbo-jumbo about the categories. I want to learn about the new stuff, the points.

Much like Pirates Forums employs a point accumulation system for tracking offenses, TLOPO has taken a leaf from this book. This was done to streamline internal processes, make moderation policy more seamless between the forums and the game, allow accounts to "last longer" before termination is dealt, and offer a chance for accounts to "redeem" themselves in terms of behavioral infractions. Yes, after a period of time, we'll forgive your past bans.

If you receive any intermediate infraction, 1 point will be awarded to your account and it will take 2 months to expire. Likewise, severe offenses are worth 2 points (by default, it can be upped) and will take 4 months to expire. In order for us to consider the termination of an account, the active point total for an account needs to reach 10 points - expired points obviously will not count towards this total. If you're interested in keeping track of where you are at with your point total, you are able to log into the TLOPO website and view your point breakdown in your account page. NOTE: If you have NO active warning points, the section will not show in your account.

Also, it's worth noting that once an offense expires, the position in the number of offenses in a category will also drop. Say for example you have two severe offenses and one intermediate offense. The intermediate offense expires after 2 months, but you still have the two severe offenses. If you commit another intermediate offense, you'd start back over at the FIRST position in the intermediate ladder, the email warning.

I know I just probably slammed you all with a wall of text, but it was necessary in order to explain the innerworkings of our processes. I hope my explanations made sense, but if not, feel free to leave a comment below and myself or another moderator will clarify things for you. I think everyone will appreciate this new way of handling moderation - we're banning less and allowing more and more to be said, especially with the huge Whitelist updates that we periodically push out. That's a win-win in my book.

Cheers, everyone,

JFR

Last edited:
Cheering on other players is frowned upon due to the connotation it has. It's inappropriate and considered harassment. If a moderator personally witnesses a player doing this to another player, the offending player can and will be kicked from the server (it's considered a minor offense).

Thanks for the question!

What if I get pirate consent to cheer?

I can't figure out how many points I have. I went to the my account section but it just showed me my past bans, the reasons and durations.

What if I get pirate consent to cheer?
This behavior is not appropriate in TLOPO, regardless of circumstance.

This is not up for debate.

I can't figure out how many points I have. I went to the my account section but it just showed me my past bans, the reasons and durations.
Looks like it may have gone missing from the site. I'll have one of our developers check into this and hopefully push a fix.

Edit: It's also worth noting that the points system has only been live for a few days. Those without points assigned to their account may not even see the field. As mentioned before, I'll check with our developers.

Last edited:
This behavior is not appropriate in TLOPO, regardless of circumstance.

This is not up for debate.

Looks like it may have gone missing from the site. I'll have one of our developers check into this and hopefully push a fix.

Edit: It's also worth noting that the points system has only been live for a few days. Those without points assigned to their account may not even see the field. As mentioned before, I'll check with our developers.

idk, seems janky to me. can you whitelist the word daddy., thanks

So what if I say something like:

"If you use thunderbolt, you can get 50 rep each, but I recommend you use round shot for 20 more rep per ship."

The filter will block the words "for 20", for obvious reasons.

Is it then unacceptable to "evade the filter" when explaining cases like this? Or is this only a concern when actually trying to say things the filter is there to prevent?

So what if I say something like:

"If you use thunderbolt, you can get 50 rep each, but I recommend you use round shot for 20 more rep per ship."

The filter will block the words "for 20", for obvious reasons.

Is it then unacceptable to "evade the filter" when explaining cases like this? Or is this only a concern when actually trying to say things the filter is there to prevent?
In this case, this would be okay. There certainly is a bit of grey area. We've become a lot more contextual in the way that we do moderation. If we saw this particular instance using that sentence but saw that you later separated the two words out so that it properly displayed in chat, we wouldn't act on it since it was in innocent means.

I hope this makes sense. We try to get a feel for the situation and understand context as much as possible.

NOTE: If you have NO active warning points, the section will not show in your account.
Also, an update for those wondering about being able to view points. I had two moderators test this out - the account needs to have ACTIVE points in order for the section to show on the account. If you have no points, you won't see it. Thanks to the couple who were curious about it!

@Saboteur @Rakelaz

In this case, this would be okay. There certainly is a bit of grey area. We've become a lot more contextual in the way that we do moderation. If we saw this particular instance using that sentence but saw that you later separated the two words out so that it properly displayed in chat, we wouldn't act on it since it was in innocent means.

I hope this makes sense. We try to get a feel for the situation and understand context as much as possible.

Also, an update for those wondering about being able to view points. I had two moderators test this out - the account needs to have ACTIVE points in order for the section to show on the account. If you have no points, you won't see it. Thanks to the couple who were curious about it!

@Saboteur @Rakelaz
Excellent. You're taking steps in the right direction here. I've seen a lot of game moderation go the other way, and it's absolutely ridiculous. Thank you all.

A seriously BIG thanks to the TLOPO Staff for the constant show of care and commitment to this community. I really see how much work has gone into making bans a rare thing and giving everyone the most opportunities possible to really enjoy this game that means so much to so many people. You have gone above and beyond my expectations :)

~ Much love!

This is a good step in the right directly. It'll definitely cut down on situations with the filter.

Cheering on other players is frowned upon due to the connotation it has. It's inappropriate and considered harassment. If a moderator personally witnesses a player doing this to another player, the offending player can and will be kicked from the server (it's considered a minor offense).

Thanks for the question!
Harassment for cheering LOL far from it, sounds like people are overly sensitive and need to go cry back to mommy, out of the basement. Sorry but philosophically that is too far.

Here's your answer.
Regardless his words mean nothing to what I mean. Understand the context of rational reasoning I mean, it is too far, in such moderation. Idc what John says, it is logically wrong, and not substantial, if you were to use the same rules, they are fully contradictions. Disney removed the flip coin emote for inappropriate use, if you glitched, and could potentially look bad, in a 'character position'. Tlopo has it though. I can argue on Tlopo inconsistencies, and contradictions. This is a basis on what is, not "Oh regardless, I said it, follow it." I am basing this more openly and truthful.

Nobody is claiming it's a perfect system. It is what it is and the TLOPO team makes those decisions. As you can tell they are altering a few things based on input from the community. If they have decided that some emotes used in certain situations are considered inappropriate then you can accept that.. or just not play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back