TLOPO - Should we have donations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Understood.

In light of the results which will eventually be obtained (and without this particular thread experiencing and being victimized by heated debate and/or possible drama), could TLOPO discuss:

1. Whom will be chosen on TLOPO's team to be responsible/in-charge of the accounts receivable of possible incoming funds (via community/player donations)
  2. What their own qualifications/credentials are in so far as them being chosen for such a key responsibility
  3. A comment as to why some people on TLOPO's staff see no problem with such donations being received despite Disney's possible watchful eyes
Thank you. :)
1. The co leaders, Johnny and Loblao. 2. Loblao is one of the greatest game developers on the team and a co-leader, and Johnny I guess is self-explanatory. 3. We see no problem as Disney doesn't seem to care, plus you get nothing in-game.

I'm fine with donations... As long as they are what the definition of a donation is. COMPLETELY optional, no benefit, something people would do completely out of their own heart. No maximum or minimum amount to be donated. Also no schemes to get people to donate. Not constantly reminding people you can donate. Not a button ingame, not in your face every single little time. No telling people, "if we don't get donations the game won't be up!" The donations could be a good help, but should NOT be a main source for funding.
Exactly. Not a main source of funding, but would help.

1. The co leaders, Johnny and Loblao. 2. Loblao is one of the greatest game developers on the team and a co-leader, and Johnny I guess is self-explanatory. 3. We see no problem as Disney doesn't seem to care, plus you get nothing in-game.
I know what you're saying and...that's fine. The problem is (and I mean this will all due respect) but those three points are simply just an opinion you are making - which is fine, btw - because you are also trying to prove a point.

As far as the claim made about Disney, has TLOPO even contacted Disney yet to understand sufficiently if they do - in fact - don't seem to mind that donations would be collected? :confused: If not, then I guess I don't understand why TLOPO would make such a claim.

If you're only assuming Disney would not have a problem, then what does that say about the issue at-hand?

I know what you're saying and...that's fine. The problem is (and I mean this will all due respect) but those three points are simply just an opinion you are making - which is fine, btw - because you are also trying to prove a point.

As far as the claim made about Disney, has TLOPO even contacted Disney yet to understand sufficiently if they do - in fact - don't seem to mind that donations would be collected? :confused: If not, then I guess I don't understand why TLOPO would make such a claim.

If you're only assuming Disney would not have a problem, then what does that say about the issue at-hand?
We have contacted Disney and haven't had a real answer.

Anyway...I guess what upsets and concerns me the most is that if TLOPO possibly decides on receiving donations, there is an apparent RISK inherent in the fact that if Disney finds out that they will no longer turn the cheek/stay silent as they currently have done but will instead take action (consequently ruining 'everything' for most everyone hoping to play POTCO again).

The issue must be discussed by all of us (whether for or against) because it's a decision which will ultimately shape our destiny - IMO. Being that the Mouse is already being challenged intellectual property wise, I would think that if you throw in the whole money/donations issue if they found out it would be the gallows for us pirates (unless we migrate over to 'Disney Infinity' :mad:).

This specific issue is not something to be taken lightly (whether you are for or against)!

Shamus, I get where you are coming from. But contacting Disney will do absolutely nothing. Revive POTCO was ignored. Our pleads to stop the game from shutting down were ignored. The problem is either, not contacting the right people... which is nearly impossible to contact them. Or that they simply do not care if they cannot make a good deal of money from it.

Disney has not closed down TTR, they haven't even acknowledged it at this point. TTR has even gone public, to a convention and it caused a good deal of trouble as well! If Disney truly cared about it they would have obviously had it closed down at that point. Their assets being showed off at a convention, and the convention hall being evacuated because of the meddlesome community... They just are not going to do anything about it it seems like. It's not worth the trouble.

Contacting Disney about POTCO would only be ignored as like everything else.

Shamus, I get where you are coming from. But contacting Disney will do absolutely nothing. Revive POTCO was ignored. Our pleads to stop the game from shutting down were ignored. The problem is either, not contacting the right people... which is nearly impossible to contact them. Or that they simply do not care if they cannot make a good deal of money from it.

Disney has not closed down TTR, they haven't even acknowledged it at this point. TTR has even gone public, to a convention and it caused a good deal of trouble as well! If Disney truly cared about it they would have obviously had it closed down at that point. Their assets being showed off at a convention, and the convention hall being evacuated because of the meddlesome community... They just are not going to do anything about it it seems like. It's not worth the trouble.

Contacting Disney about POTCO would only be ignored as like everything else.
Yep...And so, I guess the whole thing (either for or against) is all based on assumption then. And I hate to say this but, that's not a good feeling nor vibe to completely but your hope nor trust in (at least, not as much as 'concrete' understanding or knowledge would be).

...But contacting Disney will do absolutely nothing. Revive POTCO was ignored. Our pleads to stop the game from shutting down were ignored. The problem is either, not contacting the right people... which is nearly impossible to contact them. Or that they simply do not care if they cannot make a good deal of money from it.

...Contacting Disney about POTCO would only be ignored as like everything else.
Not if you have conducted enough research as others and myself have done. (Note: I'm going to quickly go off-topic here but then counter this by making an attempt to return back, on-topic).
  • The problem with Revive POTCO's failure was that it launched and subjected itself to incorrect timing (as opposed to not the right people contacted. This is evident in the fact that the RP message was responded to by two key POTCO developers; one still working for DIMG at the time while the other was not. And that was POTCO initial developers directly not to mention some other key people whom had responded)
  • The problem with such a statement made is that it also affects TLOPO consequently as well (if the 'right' kind of people can never sufficiently be contacted, as you have shared)
  • If, therefore, the community ever has a need to contact the right people within Disney, why not permit those whom have dealt with and whom have gained the most experience in doing so in the past (which is a key 'strategy' the open-source POTCO project suggests to implement)

Last edited by a moderator:
Show more content, assume full liability if you do get sued, and I'd happily donate to keep TLOPO running once I see a fully functional server. I suggest starting off by doing what we (Myself and Bart) did. Keeping it an open beta, open only to sponsors, and then once you have adequate funding, going all out. I'm a realist. The fact of the matter is, neither POTCO MC staff or TLOPO staff should be responsible for paying indefinitely for other player's enjoyment. Development is a long and uneasy process. The community giving back to the the few people trying to save it from going extinct is nothing short of necessary appreciation.

Show more content, assume full liability if you do get sued, and I'd happily donate to keep TLOPO running once I see a fully functional server. I suggest starting off by doing what we (Myself and Bart) did. Keeping it an open beta, open only to sponsors, and then once you have adequate funding, going all out. I'm a realist. The fact of the matter is, neither POTCO MC staff or TLOPO staff should be responsible for paying indefinitely for other player's enjoyment. Development is a long and uneasy process. The community giving back to the the few people trying to save it from going extinct is nothing short of necessary appreciation.
If yes is the majority, then it will only happen once we have our public stress test.

I like the idea of having an option to donate to help pay for the servers (the $ can only be used to cover the cost of running the game and not paying salaries for programmers). It's such a fine line when money is involved, you have to be careful.

What's your problem with it? It's not a requirement, you get nothing in-game, all it means is that we have more money for our servers.
xD The problem is, Disney is evil. It's nothing against you, it's just Disney could sue you. They are always looking for more ways to gain money. And I don't know... from what I've seen on Skype you guys don't seem like the most mature people ;_; Can we trust you with our money? And who would handle the money? One person or the whole team?

xD The problem is, Disney is evil. It's nothing against you, it's just Disney could sue you. They are always looking for more ways to gain money. And I don't know... from what I've seen on Skype you guys don't seem like the most mature people ;_; Can we trust you with our money? And who would handle the money? One person or the whole team?
We highly doubt it. We aren't afraid of Disney and we doubt they would sue us over donations as long as nobody gets anything in-game. We were mainly worried about what the community thinks of it.

We highly doubt it. We aren't afraid of Disney and we doubt they would sue us over donations as long as nobody gets anything in-game.
While TLOPO's courage and tenacity on this issue is arguably something to admire, this decision is really nothing too unexpected to have predicted from the standpoint and vision of a bunch of teenagers/young adults whom personally feel that there is "nothing" to lose in LIFE. (Note: I am saying this as someone whom has experienced [likely] double the amount of years on this Earth as the oldest TLOPO developer in age).

Because of this decision and it's openness, now, to be accepted, TLOPO has now placed a monkey on the backs of everyone within this community (as there is 'more' at stake here with this particular issue than just TLOPO's own success). :mad:

...We were mainly worried about what the community thinks of it.
That is commendable; I truly mean that. :) However, if TLOPO was entirely truthful about the issue of donations wasn't the decision ultimately made prior to the insistence of the community poll (pay attention specifically to the 'last' point I make within the post below: https://piratesforums.co/threads/tlopo-should-we-have-donations.10444/#post-164383)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back