TLOPO - Should we have donations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While TLOPO's courage and tenacity on this issue is arguably something to admire, this decision is really nothing too unexpected to have predicted from the standpoint and vision of a bunch of teenagers/young adults whom personally feel that there is "nothing" to lose in LIFE. (Note: I am saying this as someone whom has experienced [likely] double the amount of years on this Earth as the oldest TLOPO developer in age).

Because of this decision and it's openness, now, to be accepted, TLOPO has now placed a monkey on the backs of everyone within this community (as there is 'more' at stake here with this particular issue than just TLOPO's own success). :mad:

That is commendable; I truly mean that. :) However, if TLOPO was entirely truthful about the issue of donations wasn't the decision ultimately made prior to the insistence of the community poll (pay attention specifically to the 'last' point I make within the post below: https://piratesforums.co/threads/tlopo-should-we-have-donations.10444/#post-164383)?
No, it wasn't. We have the money to pay for a server, so donations aren't something we're going to NEED to do, but something that may help us a lot, so we made a community poll on whether we should or should not have them.

Here is what I suggest. On a website, have something that shows what is being donated. On the same website, show the fees of the game, so you could show server fees. Then, there will be a calculation that shows how much the server costs, then calculates the price with how much money is in the donations. This in turns shows how long the server will be donated for.

Here is what I suggest. On a website, have something that shows what is being donated. On the same website, show the fees of the game, so you could show server fees. Then, there will be a calculation that shows how much the server costs, then calculates the price with how much money is in the donations. This in turns shows how long the server will be donated for.
That is a great suggestion, complete accountability. This way it can show each month that the server costs are covered or how much is still needed, etc . This may help people to know how much they want or can donate to keep the servers going.

That is a great suggestion, complete accountability. This way it can show each month that the server costs are covered or how much is still needed, etc . This may help people to know how much they want or can donate to keep the servers going.
But the question remains; whom :confused: exactly would be providing said information and what qualifications/credentials would they possess to permit them to be completely honest/responsible in said circumstance to where the information which was inputted was exact right down to the last penny to where any sort of urge to "pad" the numbers would be hindered (and that kind of question goes for 'any' project and not just TLOPO specifically)?

Besides, a website can face vulnerabilities or be hacked through various means. (We have already experienced this as a community [via forums attacks/a coup made] since Sept. 19, 2013).

Last edited by a moderator:
But the question remains; whom :confused: exactly would be providing said information and what qualifications/credentials would they possess to permit them to be completely honest/responsible in said circumstance to where the information which was inputted was exact right down to the last penny to where any sort of urge to "pad" the numbers would be hindered (and that kind of question goes for 'any' project and not just TLOPO specifically)?

Besides, a website can face vulnerabilities or be hacked through various means. (We have already experienced this as a community [via forums attacks/a coup made] since Sept. 19, 2013).
The 2 co-leaders of TLOPO would handle everything, and if they weren't trustworthy they wouldn't be co-leaders.

The 2 co-leaders of TLOPO would handle everything, and if they weren't trustworthy they wouldn't be co-leaders.
But then again, such co-leaders where appointed because of why? Was it not because of their own programming/coding skills and not directly because of their own qualifications in handling money (specifically)?

Naturally, you and just about everyone else is going to feel as if I am (once again) targeting TLOPO specifically over an issue just for argument's sake. While that may seem as if that is the case, I am "trying" to drive a point that just because someone is skilled enough to handle a game's inner-workings that still does not give them the core credentials/personal integrity to handle other people's money with responsibility.

*Perhaps I am being overly sensitive about this issue but then again, you have to actually get burnt by someone (in real) when it comes to ending up on the losing end as a result of the exchange of money and experience gone wrong.

But then again, such co-leaders where appointed because of why? Was it not because of their own programming/coding skills and not directly because of their own qualifications in handling money (specifically)?

Naturally, you and just about everyone else is going to feel as if I am (once again) targeting TLOPO specifically over an issue just for argument's sake. While that may seem as if that is the case, I am "trying" to drive a point that just because someone is skilled enough to handle a game's inner-workings that still does not give them the core credentials/personal integrity to handle other people's money with responsibility.

*Perhaps I am being overly sensitive about this issue but then again, you have to actually get burnt by someone (in real) when it comes to ending up on the losing end as a result of the exchange of money and experience gone wrong.
One co-leader (Loblao) is an expert at coding, and the other (Johnny) is the community manager. Not directly because of qualifications in money.

One co-leader (Loblao) is an expert at coding, and the other (Johnny) is the community manager. Not directly because of qualifications in money.
This is going to sound "extremely" (out-of-the-box), weird, and unconventional but has TLOPO ever considered the implementation of a strategy to where a third party individual (i.e., someone whom is 'not' affiliated with TLOPO but whom is also well-known within our community as a ex-POTCO player) would both manage and be held responsible for said donations for TLOPO?

Granted, such a strategy is highly unconventional (depending upon how 'open-minded' TLOPO might be) but this strategy would:

• Alleviate TLOPO experiencing 100% of the pressure which involves managing said donations
  • Permit only one individual directly responsible/liable for anything which happens with said donations (placing further pressure on them to remain both responsible and ethical despite themselves not remaining affiliated directly with TLOPO)
To reiterate again, this individual's reputation within the POTCO community must be both trusted and unaffiliated with TLOPO directly.

Thoughts? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back