Discussion Today's update

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a mixture of both. A small vocal minority has wanted this feature, however everyone I've spoken to besides on the forums have been against it. So no, everyone has not been asking for it.
No, not everyone wanted the feature. That's not what I meant.

We've encountered oppositely minded people, apparently. I've seen countless players express their wish for a kicking feature since POTCO (not just in the forums -- mostly in the game), including everyone I've talked with about it in my guild of 500 pirates. I told them the news last night and the chat filled with approval.

I'm also not dissing the devs, simply trying to hold them accountable which no one else seems to want to do. Just because this is voluntary, does not mean there should not be a standard. ... I don't dislike the devs, I dislike their priorities and lack of communication.
Of course we don't blame the devs. They are doing us a favor. Plus the game is in beta, so this is the time to be testing out new features.

And I wasn't saying you were dissing the devs because you dared to speak out against them. You seem to be unfairly blaming them for adding a feature to the game that they have been repeatedly asked for. Would ignoring these repeated requests have been better communication?

Last edited:
It's a mixture of both. A small vocal minority has wanted this feature, however everyone I've spoken to besides on the forums have been against it. So no, everyone has not been asking for it. I'm also not dissing the devs, simply trying to hold them accountable which no one else seems to want to do. Just because this is voluntary, does not mean there should not be a standard. Avoiding fixing bugs and big aspects of the game to add features that don't matter is irresponsible, and shouldn't be happening. However, everyone would rather worship them than try and get some sort of accountability. I don't dislike the devs, I dislike their priorities and lack of communication.

First of all, there's no evidence that it was a small vocal minority that wanted this feature. If you don't have some numbers to show me then, it's just your opinion. With approximately 175000 registered players, you would need a random sample size of 384 to get a confidence level at 95% (5% margin of error). Since nobody has done this, I can't say it was a minority or a majority. Nobody can. It's all opinion at this point.

Look at the release notes and see how many include bug fixes.

Priorities are up to them. They are doing the work and using input from the fans but it's ultimately up to them. Calling it 'irresponsible' is again, your opinion and not a fact.

There's nothing wrong in expressing your opinion as to what they should or should not do. But it's just that.. an opinion.

The players do hold the developers accountable. If enough people are unhappy with the game to the point that a large population of the game stop playing, I'm sure that would signal that it's time to change direction.

Today I had a guy on a cannon on my ship absolutely not shooting more than 3 cannon balls during the fist half of the mat run.

After requesting everyone to get to the cannons I booted him. Man was that an awesome feeling!

That cannon was then taken by a LOYAL crewmate. Not some freeloading scum who was slowing down my mat run.

If you don't like the boot option I suppose you are saying it would be better for people to go semi AFK on my cannons?

If that's what you think all I can tell you is those are MY cannons not your cannons. Your opinion about the disposition of MY cannons has zero interest to me.

I think there are a lot of people on both sides of the fence on the boot option and I personally am for it, or at least for giving it a try to see what happens, it's been a source of annoyance to many for a long time and those who are against it have no actual experience with the consequences of it, they only have imagined abuses or are actually the very people it is aimed at. Whether or not it was wanted by a majority is debatable and it is true that this issue has spurred strong reactions by a small but vocal minority on both sides. The game is not a democracy and it falls to the developers to make decisions right or wrong. I am glad they are trying it out and will strongly argue for either keeping, modifying, or dumping it based on my impression of how it works and what happens in terms of perceived abuses. I want to think it is a positive change and give it a chance.

Jim... mate... we ran into each other yesterday... I know your a swell guy, but honestly here, how is afking on a ship is not rewarding in the slightest? Do you not get famed, gold, and materials from it? Do you really think that no policing is required? It doesn't have to be extreme as a kick option, but you really think there is absolutely no problem at all with afkers? We can continue the conversation in the current afk thread.

Some ppl take this "game" way to personal...smh
They arent hurting game play, imo, and if you didnt like it.. dont go public..simple.

Oh man this place has turned into such a joke. I'm done discussing.
lol why do people in online forums/comment sections have to get in the last word like that?

They don't address anything anyone said and just get one last dis in before saying, "I'm done talking about this."

I've seen it a hundred times. If you're done discussing, be mature about it. Agree to disagree.

Some ppl take this "game" way to personal...smh
They arent hurting game play, imo, and if you didnt like it.. dont go public..simple.

No... people afking on a cannon or standing around causing people to get off a cannon to repair surely hurts efficiently. Not to mention this isn't getting into the entire moral argument debate if its right to let your crew mates do all the work and for you to reap the benefits with them. It's not taking the game too seriously or personal, it's just wanting actual members to contribute, and frankly even I goof off at times and will occasionally chat on a cannon. I LIKE to talk and communicate with crew members, I ENJOY not having to man a cannon and repair all the time, it's fun to actually be around people who want to play the game. I can tell the by your likes that you read the thread, so you fully know what I was going to say. I would of preferred if you wouldn't go after the poster and perhaps actually suggest another option other than kicking (like a blacklist/ignore option) or some tweaks to the current system instead.

No... people afking on a cannon or standing around causing people to get off a cannon to repair surely hurts efficiently. Not to mention this isn't getting into the entire moral argument debate if its right to let your crew mates do all the work and for you to reap the benefits with them. It's not taking the game too seriously or personal, it's just wanting actual members to contribute, and frankly even I goof off at times and will occasionally chat on a cannon. I LIKE to talk and communicate with crew members, I ENJOY not having to man a cannon and repair all the time, it's fun to actually be around people who want to play the game. I can tell the by your likes that you read the thread, so you fully know what I was going to say. I would of preferred if you wouldn't go after the poster and perhaps actually suggest another option other than kicking (like a blacklist/ignore option) or some tweaks to the current system instead.
Well put. It's common courtesy not to leech off of other players. Just because you want to scrape off leeches doesn't mean you're taking the game too personally. Especially when you have a full ship and someone takes up a cannon spot before going AFK...

It's common courtesy not to leech off of other players. Just because you want to scrape off leeches doesn't mean you're taking the game too personally. Especially when you have a full ship and someone takes up a cannon spot before going AFK...

okie 1) common courtesy in tlopo community?? Are you srsly, or just new to this game? o.o 2.) Your ship cannons on the side that the ships are on are usually full and so can repairs... or repairs not need with a really good capt. What should these ppl do??? Most capt's sail on one side... a good capt imo.. (who wants to run back and forth)... so if they go afk..waiting to repair or a cannon.. then it is okie to kick them? I dont think so.

Then were is my kick option for those that just come in and take over an area where i am looting? Since you want to talk bout morals in a game. c:
Apples and oranges. A ship is a contained area with a well-defined set of crew members, who are there only through invitation or access. But a random looting area can have any number of random people in its scope. Bad analogy.

I do agree there should be "morals" in a game, but that's up to each player and how they like to treat others around them.

Then were is my kick option for those that just come in and take over an area where i am looting? Since you want to talk bout morals in a game. c:
Someone taking over a area is far different than afking on a ship, getting famed, materials, and gold. Yeah it's rude, but I imagine that's a incredibly rare occurrence and most of the time you can crew with them and if it's that bad you can go to a different location or hop servers. Hopping to a dead silent server is way different than turning off the ship public before you even bother to make those comparisons. It's far easier to hop a server than turning off public, the amount of people afking is far more frequent than someone stealing a looting location, and there is several other places to loot for your level most of the time.

Most of the gist im getting from you is someone is just mad they can't afk for free stuff anymore.

Hot darn... I got ninjaed... the poster above me nailed the bad analogy statement way better than me.

Someone taking over a area is far different than afking on a ship, getting famed, materials, and gold. Yeah it's rude, but I imagine that's a incredibly rare occurrence and most of the time you can crew with them and if it's that bad you can go to a different location or hop servers. Hopping to a dead silent server is way different than turning off the ship public before you even bother to make those comparisons. It's far easier to hop a server than turning off public, the amount of people afking is far more frequent than someone stealing a looting location, and there is several other places to loot for your level most of the time.

Most of the gist im getting from you is someone is just mad they can't afk for free stuff anymore.
Nah I hate sailing.. i just think it is was silly for them to talk bout morals in this game.

Your ship cannons on the side that the ships are on are usually full and so can repairs... or repairs not need with a really good capt. What should these ppl do??? Most capt's sail on one side... a good capt imo.. (who wants to run back and forth)... so if they go afk..waiting to repair or a cannon.. then it is okie to kick them? I dont think so.

^ read.. funny @Peter_Plankskull only comments on the one thing I said ;)

I didnt say they were... if you play this game long enough you find majority of the tlopo community isnt this oh so nice, friendly bunch of players. That most are egoistic and rude, and selfish.. so yea players having morals in this game is like a meme. But there a slight few.. that are pretty decent.. just you dont run into those as much.

Back on topic..hopefully this helps you all out, but I see someone finding a loophole around it.. most players do that.. in most games where they try to fix an issue like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back