TOONTOWN_REWRITTEN (as the emulator 'guinea pig') ~

Should PERMISSION have been obtained from Disney to assure ToonTown Rewritten's success?

• Yes ~ Developers for TTR "should have" gain such an assurance from Disney/DIMG

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • No ~ Developers for TTR "fully understand" the FAIR USE clause and it's_complete interpretation

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • Unsure ~ The risk is worth the reward but "consequences" do happen to concern me

Votes: 10 25.0%

• Total voters
Ya know, i used to enjoy a little TTR every now and then.But, now im afraid to even log in because of all these hacks ive been hearing about. I mean they should prevent it better, like getting some better protection against hacking.

Ya know, i used to enjoy a little TTR every now and then.But, now im afraid to even log in because of all these hacks ive been hearing about. I mean they should prevent it better, like getting some better protection against hacking.
It wasn't exactly hacking. The "hacker" ddosed the TTR servers. This means they intentionally overloaded the servers by sending a ton of information to them. This caused the servers to be shut down. Ddos protection isn't easy or cheap, and literally anyone can ddos something and shut it down.

The "hacker" found a exploit within the TTR login. This exploit did not allow for passwords to be leaked at all. But it in a way did leak usernames. Basically when signing up for an account, if you enter a username that is already taken, it will ask you to pick another one and say that the username was taken. This happens for every account creation on every site ever. However with TTR you did not need to enter a email adress when signing up so you would not need a valid one, or one that had already been used.

This allowed the "hacker," I will now call him an exploiter, to create a simple script, or program, to automatically send in a huge list of possible, or theoretical, usernames and then write the taken ones down in a simple text file. He then used a brute forcing method for figuring out passwords.

Brute forcing is the act of trying password after password until you get it correct. Because this exploiter already had a large list of usernames, he simply threw together a list of the world's most common passwords, and wrote a simple program to try each of the passwords with each username.

If your password was common and simple enough to be on the list, bam. He had your account. If your password was secure, you were fine.

TTR has since patched the exploit to get the usernames, and has put in added security so that you may only try to login to an account a fixed number of times before having to wait. This reduces the risk of brute forcing as the brute forcer would have to enter say, 5 passwords, fail. Then wait 30 minutes to do it again. Its unlikely someone would go through that.

Simply have a good strong password and you are fine.

Lately, I have been going through (a lot) of personal "bookmarks" saved on my computer and I came across a reddit link devoted to ToonTown Rewritten to where someone had this to say about the way things had been evolving for that particular community:

"There are hundreds and hundreds of private MapleStory servers, all pretty much the same thing- some give higher-experience points with kills, some have modified areas.

This is not something I personally want to see with Toontown. I want to see Toontown be the same as it was before, with additions that Disney themselves would add- not people who have a little knowledge of programming turning the experience up times 100 making leveling in the game easier. There's no fun in that. Although there would be a choice between different servers, it wouldn't be the same as having everyone localized into one server and play together, as Disney intended- not split up."

QUESTION: As a community, are we actually evolving towards the same direction as described above (taking into account the 'results' acquired to the poll posted to this thread)? :confused:

Avast, ye scallywags! (Voice changing to serious tone) I felt it necessary to pass the below information along to ye...

:eek: Recently, which means only within the past two days, a popular moderator for "Toontown Rewritten" had a significant amount of his personal online accounts hacked into on account that he had used the same password for these such accounts. This moderator, both liked and hated within that community, made a mistake which cost him dearly (in so far as his personal privacy is concerned).

KEEP TO THY CODE!

*Bein' how things arrrr, IF and when a POTCO emulator comes to launch ye remember quite readily now, me heartie, that usin' the SAME password associated with yer personal effects online be not a savvy move (no, not at all), eh? :confused:

(credit goes to @Sarah Boothwright for providing me the above ^ video)

Avast, ye scallywags! (Voice changing to serious tone) I felt it necessary to pass the below information along to ye...

:eek: Recently, which means only within the past two days, a popular moderator for "Toontown Rewritten" had a significant amount of his personal online accounts hacked into on account that he had used the same password for these such accounts. This moderator, both liked and hated within that community, made a mistake which cost him dearly (in so far as his personal privacy is concerned).

KEEP TO THY CODE!

*Bein' how things arrrr, IF and when a POTCO emulator comes to launch ye remember quite readily now, me heartie, that usin' the SAME password associated with yer personal effects online be not a savvy move (no, not at all), eh? :confused:

(credit goes to @Sarah Boothwright for providing me the above ^ video)
I think Otaku is only a Reddit staff member o.o

I think Otaku is only a Reddit staff member o.o
Perhaps that is true. Nevertheless, he supported TTR through this position that he held. (If I'm not mistaken, Otaku was more directly affiliated with the emulator - 'Toontown Apex' - as I recall).

Either way, this individual had acquired some enemies and those enemies took advantage of a security lapse he made pertaining to the majority of his (personal) online accounts.

It's a true shame that there remain so many "bilge rats" whom appreciate the freedom that Disney is permitting TTR to have and yet those some "bilge rats" seek the most to witness TTR being destroyed.

Now that's what I call...ironic.

Bad-Hamster-13898-1024x1024.jpg

Whether the below post from Reddit is actually representative of what is or is not happening to TTR currently, I wanted to share it with everyone here because it touches upon a few things I feel our community can explicitly learn from (if ye uphold a mature and 'open mind').
(Note: No disrespect implied towards TTR. Using TTR solely as an 'example' within this thread pertinent to the numerous challenges towards emulating a well-known, MMO game).

Whether the below post from Reddit is actually representative of what is or is not happening to TTR currently, I wanted to share it with everyone here because it touches upon a few things I feel our community can explicitly learn from (if ye uphold a mature and 'open mind').
(Note: No disrespect implied towards TTR. Using TTR solely as an 'example' within this thread pertinent to the numerous challenges towards emulating a well-known, MMO game).
open source

Back