TOONTOWN_REWRITTEN (as the emulator 'guinea pig') ~

Should PERMISSION have been obtained from Disney to assure ToonTown Rewritten's success?

• Yes ~ Developers for TTR "should have" gain such an assurance from Disney/DIMG

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • No ~ Developers for TTR "fully understand" the FAIR USE clause and it's_complete interpretation

Votes: 16 40.0%
  • Unsure ~ The risk is worth the reward but "consequences" do happen to concern me

Votes: 10 25.0%

• Total voters
Wonderful!!! So the e-mail isn't real? GREAT!!! back to the Abyss.
Yes, it was faked. This was discussed in this thread a few times already so this shouldn't come as a surprise to you.

Also, really there isn't for why Disney would give them rights in the first place. We're talking a multi billion dollar franchise. That would never happen.

being it is a fake and u asked for donations for another remake forum , i hope it works . i've heard war stories about disney lawyers . there is a point about disney not caring . they didn't want the mmo world so maybe. i just wanna play again . everything else to me is boring . wrote Iger last week . try it again. worked in shawshank redemption!!!!!

being it is a fake and u asked for donations for another remake forum , i hope it works . i've heard war stories about disney lawyers . there is a point about disney not caring . they didn't want the mmo world so maybe. i just wanna play again . everything else to me is boring . wrote Iger last week . try it again. worked in shawshank redemption!!!!!
I do not support those forums neither do I have any affiliation with it. You may be mistaken because I am the owner and the creator of the original forums: https://forums-piratesonlinerewritten.com although it will reopen for a different purpose and will not have any affiliation with another remake.

There are no longer wait times in TTR, as it is now in Open Beta.
Just logged into TTR, there are 3,387 people online. I had minimal lag.
TTR seems to be a little bit more organized as well, providing updates to the game on a regular basis.
TTR has my vote so far, even though they could be swayed. (Note: Just my opinions, please don't take offense).
What is your player name cause I play and mine is Sir Dizzynugget my player has Whole Cream Pie Lipstick Big weight and Seltlzer bottle

why is there nothing,,,I repeat,,,Nothing online like it. Gone about as far as I'm gonna go in Gallactic Starfighter , 12 ships is enough, and made the first page (#23) in Wind of Luck And I'm BORED outta my mind, Nothing like it!!!! I miss it more now than a year ago!!!

why is there nothing,,,I repeat,,,Nothing online like it. Gone about as far as I'm gonna go in Gallactic Starfighter , 12 ships is enough, and made the first page (#23) in Wind of Luck And I'm BORED outta my mind, Nothing like it!!!! I miss it more now than a year ago!!!
Don't expect anything else like it to come out either... Our generation's gaming creativity is going from POTCO high community amusement and fun to Justin Bieber getting his on video game......

Don't try looking for a game like POTCO you will only be disappointed, look for a game the amuses you and is fun for others. That's how POTCO was built. I will say my famous words once again.... it's not the gaming that is fun, it's the players that build the game that make it a worth wild experience.

...it's not the gaming that is fun, it's the players that build the game that make it a worth wild experience.
:iagree: ~ The Caribbean will "always" remain a beautiful place but if you perhaps have to struggle to experience the same kind of relationships (as each of us did on POTCO), what good would PARADISE :shark::sun: be, really? (But still, it doesn't hurt to 'try' I guess).

Logic tells us it is fake.

Also Tomislav, an old developer for another remake posted this topic on the official Panda3d forums. https://www.panda3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16736

He mentions getting permission from Disney to go through with the project and, as people do and should do, ask for proof. He sends over this picture of an email, that supposedly is from Disney.
hWDaqGP.png

...However the sender and receiver names are the same.:facepalm:

I believe there was another picture of an "email from Disney" floating around which was shown to the another remake community that looked legitimate. However the fact that this clearly fake email was posted on the Panda3D forums by an official member of the another remake staff at the time, well it most likely means both of them were faked.
Not to mention SEVERAL is spelled SERVAL...

A new development from Disney is included below.

Apparently, Disney is seeking to further along a patent of theirs which involves the acceptance of search engine which would filter out "pirated" websites and links:

How would this affect both TTR and another remake? Well, considering the fact that if you initiate a search for "Pirates of the Caribbean Online" :piratemickey: on Google, the second entry listed from the top has to do with another remake. (In comparison, if you conduct a search for 'Toon Town' on Google, the very first entry listed has to do with TTR).

*If Disney pushes successfully to have this patent of theirs widely accepted, down the road search engine listings for TTR and another remake would "likely" be challenged.

Thoughts?
:confused:

A new development from Disney is included below.

Apparently, Disney is seeking to further along a patent of theirs which involves the acceptance of search engine which would filter out "pirated" websites and links:

How would this affect both TTR and another remake? Well, considering the fact that if you initiate a search for "Pirates of the Caribbean Online" :piratemickey: on Google, the second entry listed from the top has to do with another remake. (In comparison, if you conduct a search for 'Toon Town' on Google, the very first entry listed has to do with TTR).

*If Disney pushes successfully to have this patent of theirs widely accepted, down the road search engine listings for TTR and another remake would "likely" be challenged.

Thoughts?
:confused:
Better for the community, games not being shut down. Keeps people who may think it's from Disney away so Disney keeps their repuation, and those who really want to find a remake will still be able to (same with pirated games) if they are dilligent enough. I don't personally see a problem with it.

What companies fail to realize is that piracy will always be a thing. There is no stopping it, those who want to pirate WILL pirate. Unless something is done with the legal side of things, which would most likely be an invasion of privacy, which can't and won't happen -- under US rights and laws. You can limit availablity but people will always find a way.

While I don't see a problem with this, it certainly won't have that great of an impact on stopping piracy.

Forget about the "legal" implications for the time being...

Is it ethical for ToonTown Rewritten (and other emulators in general) to do what they are doing? :confused: Or look at the question this way; what right do any of us have to take something from someone without properly asking/receiving their permission in doing so? (I have a neighbor which does this, often; ugh).

Here's a thought; if Disney shuts down TTR a snowball-effect may affect our community as well and my question to everyone is, are we absolutely prepared to receive such a (possible) let-down as well without raging on Disney and blaming them for our lack of "manners?" :confused: ~ What lessons would we then walk away from participating from such an experience?

Would we:

1. Understand fully to respect someone and their property, or...
  2. Feel angry about the outcome because we ultimately got "caught"
For myself, what I would hate to see is for people to walk away from this whole experience and not have gained something useful and personally important to them in a positive way (to which then 'could' be applied to other things later in life). If what I fear happens, this would be a sad thing because ultimately, our need and/or desire to just TAKE would continually shape our thought process down-the-road as something acceptable and part of the norm.

The reality is...LIFE assures us that we reap what we sow and we make choices now which shape our future, later on. Anyway, this is...:2 cents:

Last edited by a moderator:
This particular instance is hard to determine if it is ultimately ethical or not. Toontown Rewritten, and other emulators, are made by the community for the community. They are to let the community continue playing a game they loved, to let the community live on while having fun. This is no doubt a good intention, it is working to make others happy. However, knowingly going against Disney's terms of use is not all that ethical. But then you can make the argument that it doesn't really apply to Toontown anymore, after-all, the game was shut down by the creators. They clearly were done with it. Yeah sure, but bringing it back after it was intentionally shutdown may not be all that ethical either.

These emulators, whether they are right or wrong, is really just a enormous grey area where it is highly highly opinion based. Even the legal side dealing with fair use and how to interpret is opinion based. The ethical side of things, is it OK to go against Disney's terms of use to pursue the happiness it could bring people? These questions don't have a wrong or right answer.
-----------------------------------------------------------​
I personally learned a ton through my playing of POTCO. It was a turning point in my life, it contributed GREATLY to the person I am now. I would not be here right now typing up a post that only maybe two or three people will read, on the internet, if it weren't for POTCO. My confidence around other people would be less than it is now if it weren't for POTCO. I learned so much from this experience, through the closing I learned something that is very very important.
Enjoy what you have now, for tomorrow it may be gone.

Everything comes to an end. POTCO had to close eventually. Toontown Rewritten WILL close eventually. Someday we won't be here to see what else will come to a close.

This doesn't mean to YOLO it up so you may see less things come to a close than someone else. It just means to cherish the things you love, and to move on when they come to a close. There are better things over the horizon.

i miss my pirate, everyday , i miss my war sloop alot . hell, i even miss the pirates i hated , i learned so much about people , it changed me forever ,,,, and now i'll find the dog with the keys ,go over to burbank. find the tron machine and shoot myself into potco forever (if i could i would)

Was the Best Game i ever played!!!!

...This particular instance is hard to determine if it is ultimately ethical or not. Toontown Rewritten, and other emulators, are made by the community for the community. They are to let the community continue playing a game they loved, to let the community live on while having fun. This is no doubt a good intention, it is working to make others happy. However, knowingly going against Disney's terms of use is not all that ethical.
I just don't agree...with the way that ToonTown Rewritten (along with other emulators including another remake), did not organize themselves properly from the beginning if they truly had the "happiness" :D of players in mind, as you say.

From the get go, the order of things went like this:

• Disney shuttered and closed down ToonTown, Pixie Hollows, and POTCO on Sept. 19, 2013
  • The thought for ToonTown Rewritten (TTR) was already conceptualized by "Joey" before this date to emulate that game; the TTR website domain was registered on Sept. 16, 2013 according to this website
  • Devoted players of POTCO followed suit (with the idea for another remake given birth from players whom initially came up with the idea for 'Pirates of Legend'; click here for more information)
  • IN BOTH cases, nobody paused to acquire Disney/Disney Interactive's permission before the organization of such plans were strategized; the acquiring of such permission became an after-thought, and not as a key priority
As a result of such planning (or lack thereof), players representing the TTR and another remake communities along with other emulator developers are each now left to ponder the thought of "what if" (rather than 'we have no doubt')! *This error, my friend, evolves our "happiness" :D in such a way which is now determined 100% on Disney.

As a ex-POTCO player, I did that once and I am highly reluctant to do so again...

Last edited by a moderator:
Lately for ToonTown Rewritten (TTR), the month of December 2014 has not been all fun & games. Recently, TTR has been the target of "hackers." :(

In response, TTR developers have been trying their best to publicly address the TTR community in such a way to where several TTR terms and conditions were reiterated, one of which that cautioned TTR players to safe-guard their personal information and identity online.

For information about TTR's response towards such activity, please review the below:

In addition to the above, a (blog) article has recently been written which concerns itself about the future of MMO's, Club Penguin, ToonTown Rewritten, and setbacks pertaining to TTR "hackers:"

Lately for ToonTown Rewritten (TTR), the month of December 2014 has not been all fun & games. Recently, TTR has been the target of "hackers." :(

In response, TTR developers have been trying their best to publicly address the TTR community in such a way to where several TTR terms and conditions were reiterated, one of which that cautioned TTR players to safe-guard their personal information and identity online.

For information about TTR's response towards such activity, please review the below:

In addition to the above, a (blog) article has recently been written which concerns itself about the future of MMO's, Club Penguin, ToonTown Rewritten, and setbacks pertaining to TTR "hackers:"
they fixed what happened.

Back