What Was It Like When You First Started Playing Potco?

I remember starting back in '07, and seeing alot of gold nametags, and being sooo jealous. Didn't get a membership until about a week after the founder program ended (-_-). I used to think a light galleon was the most amazing ship in the entire world.... And I was wrong 0.o. Also remembered the Navy cadet (?) walking around Port Royal... Was fun to walk up behind it and act as if I was a 'paid assassin'. When SvS came out, I thought I was the most epic pirate in the world bc I got a sink streak of 5... >_>. Also, I was always trying to defeat the mercenary, hacking a few times, running away, hacking again, and not realizing that I could use tonics....

I joined back in February 2008, and I enjoyed it alot. I failed on THUGS... You heard me... THUGS. I had to always wait for somebody to come and help me (of course I was like lv 8). I remember when Tattoos, jewelry, clothing, etc first came out. I would spend hours buying stuff and making my pirate look "cool" for what it was at the time. I remember a Juggernaut would always be behind Padres... And it took FOREVER to sail there... And I kept sinking on my way. But then, one glorious day, I finally made it to Padres, not a scratch on my ship. And then I went to that Juggernaut. And epically failed. I got membership at lv 11... Like my first week of playing... Never lost membership... yet... ALWAYS been Unlimited for as long as I can remember.

When I first played Potco in Springbreak of 2010 (early April), I remembered we still had the old body style. It was removed shortly after. Why do I remember this? Because I did it just to test and make the first and original Jade O'Hayes. I watched somebody play Potco first for about a month or so, and as usual, I kept on trying to navigate the game (which was not mine :D). So I was suggested to open up an account for myself and start playing it. I experimented with the pirate lasses body type from extreme to extreme, and I wasn't happy to look at the result. Some of them were incredibly 'unreal' (to me). So I undid so many steps and settled with 'almost' the normal/beginning stage of standard body type for a pirate lass for Jade. I didn't know the exact setting to begin with though ... and I didn't even know there was a 'delete' button for a pirate character. So I stopped experimenting with Jade when I saw that she looked pretty average.

I remembered all of these, because later on in August of 2010 when I created my second Jade, I could not remember the exact setting for my first Jade. I would like both of them to be totally identical, but apparently there was 'one setting' that I missed, that actually my first and second Jades don't look exactly the same. Just for fun, my third and fourth Jades look identical to my second Jade. I especially measured the heights and remembered all the settings on purpose. And so do my fifth and sixth pirates ... (yea, I'm a little ... 'unusual' ;)). So between April and August of 2010 was when Disney Potco removed the old body type.

As far as any update around that time, I can't remember anymore. There was nothing big though, or I would have remembered it.

June, 2007. On my first day of playing, I remember the old tutorial. I remember going up to a lv 8 guard and trying to kill it at lv 1... I failed. I always needed help to kill things. I remember bragging about being on a war galleon.. I remember talking about how cool a light frigate is. I didn't understand why everyone had gold tags when i had a gray tag. I would've been a founder, but I got my unlimited access a couple weeks after the founders thing ended -_-

Edwards thread about rep stealing and remembrances of what it was like when he started kind of got me to thinking. The game has changed a lot since the days when Edward and I started and mostly for the better.

Back when I started there were no Bosses, the baddest enemies in game were at Tormenta, Kingshead, and the caverns of Padres. Our weapons were much weaker then and it was much more difficult to kill enemies. Little pirates needed help killing that flytrap for their first TP totem quest. There was no revive if you got KO'd in a fight you went to jail. As a result you didn't see as many little pirates in places they didn't belong such as Tormenta, they didn't last long there.

We didn't have boarding permissions back then, people randomly teleporting to you was much more of a problem especially aboard ship. Most of us learned the hard way to use care in allowing people onto our friend list. Seems there were a lot more griefers in game back then as well, people really pushing the limits Disney cleaned up on a lot of things that went on in game back then.

POTCO was my first online game. When I started I didn't know any better than to accept all those random friend invites, as a result my first few days of playing were very frustrating. I focused on leveling my sailing first and bought better ships as I leveled until I had a galleon. Seems I couldn't launch without having a half dozen random morons teleporting on board, you all know the type, Wheel Stealers, Random Shooters who shoot at everything in site and refuse to cease firing, players who never accept crew invites aboard your ship and won't respond to the captains chat. My ships got sunk a lot in those first few days.

In those days I didn't know enough about the game to seek out quiet servers and pretty much stayed in places like Abassa where most of the other newbies were hanging out. After about three days of dealing with the random TP people I deleted everyone in my friend list and decided to try another tactic. I wanted loot and I wanted to level up cannons, the only way to do that with any success was to crew aboard a more advanced players ship. How to do that? Well sending blind friend and crew invites to level 20+ players didn't seem to work, Being an ex military type I knew that it wasn't very likely that a superior rank would want to serve under the command of a lower rank. I began hanging around the docks and when I'd see a level 20+ crewing up and getting ready to sail I'd politely ask if they could use an extra gunner in their crew. This method worked and I began making some pretty good friends along with bringing the cannon levels up and getting some good loot.

Rep Stealing
Like most new online gamers I didn't understand the concept of rep and leveling in the begining. Hanging out on mostly servers filled with newbies with most players randomly hacking away at enemies didn't help. I did notice when sailing that if another player attacked the ship I was fighting both the rep and loot were split between players. We didn't get loot items other than things like the "Nine Rogues", "Navy Medals"etc... and gold in those days. No clothing or weapon drops.
Like Edward back in those early days I thought I was bravely helping those higher levels defeat the enemy. A high level did pull me aside one day and politely explained the concept of rep stealing to me. As Edward was saying most players don't realize the difficulty of leveling weapons until after they get grenades. Back when I started most players with new grenades started leveling them from behind the fence at the parade ground of Kingshead. Most players with new staffs also began their leveling out on the parade ground, Conflicts were frequent. One night it really dawned on me. I arrived at Kinghead with a group of friends, I needed 8 or 10 veterans for a quest so I went out onto the parade ground and started collecting them. A player up on the hill behind the fence complained that he was trying to level grenades and that he had done 5 server changes to find a quiet kingshead to level. I apologized, explained that I needed the vets for a quest and left. It was the polite thing to do.

Guilds
When I was brand new I found myself on Port Royale on a crowded Abassa I was down by the gunshop near the dock. One of those guild invite spammers kept sending me invites No sooner would I decline than he would send another. After about 5 minutes of this out of disgust I accepted just to make it stop. The guild was called "Lords O Death" I was in that guild for nearly a month and never spoke to another member. I figure they were either very young kids or non english speakers and they would never respond to guild chat. Later a group from another guild "The Voodoo Wizards" helped me with my grenade quest and I asked to join their guild. I was only in that guild for about two weeks. I took an out of town trip for a few days and when I returned discovered that the guild had been disolved. Their GM was one of those guild jumpers who was constantly going from guild to guild. I joined another guild "The Forreal Deal" and became second in command, Soon afterward the GM became absent for extended periods and I was acting GM. I was with that guild for about 8 months. Some poor choices had been made in promoting officers there and as a result these people began recruiting troublemakers into the guild, this eventually led to the guilds destruction. By this time I had two other pirates both in different guilds. I decided to leave "The Forreal Deal" and start a new guild "The Riptide Rogues". Shortly afterwards events in real life caused me to leave the game for nearly a year. At that time I had two pirates that were level 40 and mastered at the old levels and a third who was level 12 two of them were GM's of their own guilds My guilds were "The Riptide Rogues" and "Red Nations" only Red Nations still exists.

I returned to a game that was much changed from the old POTCO levels had been raised, new and more powerful weapons added, new enemies, new maps of islands most of the old glitches no longer existed, most of my old friends were gone, my guilds had died out.
Very nice story, I can't believe you remembered all of that 0_0

(and i dont consider a jumper a good pvper.. hes just fast with his keyboard) your uncool. i just wish it was like the old days.. they need to start back at the basics. =/[/quote said:
-_- thats mean ..

Wow. I joined early Dec. '07 (a founder).

I remember swimming EVERYWHERE because I couldn't figure out how to beat anything, or make money to repair my leaky sloop.

As others have said, there was no nice "X marks the spot" dig sites to find what you needed. There also was no helpful ray of light to point you in the right direction.

You leveled up grenades "behind the fence" on Kingshead, where a glitch allowed you not to be attacked.

There was a lovely cliff on Padres, next to the dinghies, where you could make a fun leap into the water. As a matter of fact, there were a lot of jumping off high places points in the game. Kind of gave you a "whoopsie" feeling, like watching a video of a roller coaster shot from the first person point of view.

I remember the glitched crabs on (Driftwood? Rumrunners?). Standing ankle-deep in the water they didn't fight back when you attacked.

I remember the old Padres Darkheart glitch, where when you jumped up onto the roof of the shack next to him, sometimes he wouldn't fight back. Kind of like his current glitch, except a little trickier to accomplish.

I probably didn't take screenshots for the first year I played because I didn't know you could, or how to for that matter.

There was a glitched EITC agent in Fort Charles on top of a hanging scaffold...if you were in the right spot he wouldn't attack.

The "hidden" dock on Kingshead. And empty Kingshead...I played some great games of hide-and-seek there with friends.

I really miss a lot of things about the old game. It was so much harder, but that really made it more entertaining. Now it's geared towards teamwork. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I miss the challenge of being able to solo. Shoot, you used to be able to choose to solo the Black Pearl Quest. I don't think that's an option now. And doing that was a real nail-biter.

Now, even if you're a level 50 with all of your weapons mastered I'm not sure it's possible to defeat Foulberto by yourself. Is it?

I loved the old island designs, and the new ones don't seem to reduce lag like they were meant to. I think the old ones were much better looking and easier to navigate.

Lag, now, is WAY worse than when I started playing. And I have a better computer than I did then. Maybe there's more people, but I think it's because we have less servers and the game has degraded. I never had "runtime error" until the last year or so.

There was no interruption for invasions. I miss that. Now I have to dodge islands to avoid the invasion lag.

But, I like my jewelry and tattoos (which we didn't always have), and the famed and legendary weapons do help a lot.

I just dislike that the game now seems to be geared towards looting so much. I guess the devs have gone that route since there's no new chapter to play.

*sigh* I DO miss the old days.

Wow. I joined early Dec. '07 (a founder).

I remember swimming EVERYWHERE because I couldn't figure out how to beat anything, or make money to repair my leaky sloop.

As others have said, there was no nice "X marks the spot" dig sites to find what you needed. There also was no helpful ray of light to point you in the right direc..............
lol, Well said... I agree with u 100%

I remember playing in 2008 even though I created my account in like December 2007..

I mostly played other MMORPG because "POTCO" didn't seem to interest me as much back then.

I don't remember much besides that I keep dying REALLY quickly from Guards at Fort Charles and it was a bit hard to sink ships.. My old first pirate still has the old body type and back in 2008, I could wear any clothes (now considered 'common' clothes - Remains unchanged and unused from 2008; Only occasionally used)

Guilds were and are really no interest to me that much anymore.

Back