Question Why is the game world so quiet chatwise?

Not much different from the old Potco game then. well at least we had open chat there eventually even if it was filtered.
sure, but every game needs change and this one was needed. the devs still think kids mostly play this game.

So far from what I've read on the forum here, the reasoning for keeping the heavily filtered chat is fear of Disney stepping in and taking the game away. I just got back to the game a few days ago and am still learning the history of how rebooting the game came about.

sure, but every game needs change and this one was needed. the devs still think kids mostly play this game.
That's actually not the reason why we have filtered chat. It's both to avoid possible action being taken against the game by Disney, and also because not everybody wants to see adult content being discussed in game. If you want to have more mature discussions, they can be had through a wide array of external chat services.

Not everyone who would like a less filtered chat has a desire to use profanity or have discussions that shouldn't be allowed in a game chat. So many innocent words are filtered out that it makes communication difficult. It was a problem in the old POTCO too.

Not everyone who would like a less filtered chat has a desire to use profanity or have discussions that shouldn't be allowed in a game chat. So many innocent words are filtered out that it makes communication difficult. It was a problem in the old POTCO too.

Also relevant:

Thanks Davy! I didn't really want the topic focused on complaints regarding the in game chat filters. I was however speculating that the highly filtered chat may be partly responsible for the lack of chat activity in the game world. Since players are no longer discouraged from using 3rd party chat software I suspect that's where most of them have gone.

Thanks Davy! I didn't really want the topic focused on complaints regarding the in game chat filters. I was however speculating that the highly filtered chat may be partly responsible for the lack of chat activity in the game world. Since players are no longer discouraged from using 3rd party chat software I suspect that's where most of them have gone.
Sure, sorry if I dragged it further in that direction. I think that's a fair point. I just wanted to clarify that (though we ask for a lot of patience) TLOPO does accept whitelist suggestions.

BTW weren't you Co Guildmaster of the Spania guild in POTCO?
Yes 🙂 These forums actually originally started as forums for our guild nearly a decade ago.

I was a member of the forums back then. My pirate Red Nations was a member. Can't remember my old login details, I've switched computers and moved a couple times since then.

I hardly remember the guilds I was in back in the POTCO days. But I remember a few people.

Also, I know it was mentioned on the other page, but if I ever run into you I'll make sure to say hi! I got loads of pirates:

Elizabeth Bladebellows (x2. Lvl 50, and a lvl 25)
Harpoon Hannah
Savvy
Wanheda

Last edited:
I was a member of the forums back then. My pirate Red Nations was a member. Can't remember my old login details, I've switched computers and moved a couple times since then.

Also same! I have an account from 2011 (same name, but no heart at the end) under an email that doesn't exist anymore and I can't log back into it so I made a new one a few years back.

There is a lot of reasons for chat inactivity, and I'm sure I wouldn't be able to list them all. One thing I will say is that the chat used to be a lot more active. A lot of my good friends left the game over the years, and even I barely log on at this point. There are several reasons, but the bottom line is the game got boring and there is so much annoying stuff that players have to deal with. Game crashes, White screens, black screens, stuck loading bars, district resets... most of these things never truly get fixed either, and are left to linger.

I don't think it is that individual players are less active, but I just think that so much of the population is gone compared to even a few years ago, back when there was more hype for the game. Things like "hey guys ctc releasing fall 2019 get ready" and then almost a year later, ctc still isn't here... it gets on players nerves and a lot of people lose tolerance for it.

With that being said, there are still a lot of active communities, especially in discords. It is frankly a pain to communicate through in-game chat at this point anyway. It is so heavily censored and it will continue to be so now that Disney remakes are getting closed down.

There is a lot of reasons for chat inactivity, and I'm sure I wouldn't be able to list them all. One thing I will say is that the chat used to be a lot more active. A lot of my good friends left the game over the years, and even I barely log on at this point. There are several reasons, but the bottom line is the game got boring and there is so much annoying stuff that players have to deal with. Game crashes, White screens, black screens, stuck loading bars, district resets... most of these things never truly get fixed either, and are left to linger.

I don't think it is that individual players are less active, but I just think that so much of the population is gone compared to even a few years ago, back when there was more hype for the game. Things like "hey guys ctc releasing fall 2019 get ready" and then almost a year later, ctc still isn't here... it gets on players nerves and a lot of people lose tolerance for it.

With that being said, there are still a lot of active communities, especially in discords. It is frankly a pain to communicate through in-game chat at this point anyway. It is so heavily censored and it will continue to be so now that Disney remakes are getting closed down.
There have been over 700 players online the past few days when I've been on. I'm pretty sure that's quite a bit higher than it had been. Then again, I suppose it could have something to do with the double loot/rep event that's going on. Even so, more people are playing the game again, and that's a good thing.

There are still bugs that have to be fixed, but we are still in Beta, so these things are bound to still be broken to some degree. The devs work very hard to make everything work properly, but some bugs just aren't able to be fixed right away.

I personally don't talk in general chat much (Especially Tortuga on a busy server ) due to there being so many trolls/rude players around. I much prefer talking to my guild/friends. I also don't find any issues with the chat filter in my opinion there's plenty of whitelisted words you can use to talk. If that's the reason people don't talk then that's just silly in my opinion. Even though it may not seem like it there are kids that play, I know and have met quite a few parents that play with their kids.

I personally don't talk in general chat much (Especially Tortuga on a busy server ) due to there being so many trolls/rude players around.
That is something that hasn't changed then since the very early days of POTCO Abassa Tortuga has always been like that. I always preffered using crew or guild chat to the general chat. Part of my problem is that I haven't been back long enough to make friends in game, and I'm not in a guild. I've been pretty much playing solo. In the old days there were a lot of griefers in game and Abassa Tortuga was their main hangout.
It did calm down a bit when there were moderators in stealth mode keeping an eye on it. The worst offenders would just go Poof! for a time out. Other trollish types saw this and adjusted their behavior.

. A lot of my good friends left the game over the years, and even I barely log on at this point.
Same here..😐
game got boring and there is so much annoying stuff that players have to deal with.
I'd be happy enough having to play 2 hours straight without crashes haha😅
almost a year later, ctc still isn't here... it gets on players nerves and a lot of people lose tolerance for it.
/Agree There's nothing much to do especially when you are fully mastered... That's why i always keep my character lower level possible lol.
there are still a lot of active communities, especially in discords
Yes, it contains message ,voice ,stream, more than a plain live chat. Most of the players i meet in game asked if i have discord in first place.
due to there being so many trolls/rude players around. I much prefer talking to my guild/friends
Soooo true. Harassment and stuffs as well. Perverts they are!!! Report buttons are not useful enough. They just kept making new accounts and coming back!!😡

There have been over 700 players online the past few days when I've been on. I'm pretty sure that's quite a bit higher than it had been. Then again, I suppose it could have something to do with the double loot/rep event that's going on. Even so, more people are playing the game again, and that's a good thing.

There are still bugs that have to be fixed, but we are still in Beta, so these things are bound to still be broken to some degree. The devs work very hard to make everything work properly, but some bugs just aren't able to be fixed right away.
As you said, the situation for the "past few days" has been pretty surprising, taking the game in isolation. Then again, when you step back and look at the game and the world, it's not really that surprising.
Coronavirus lockdown, double loot event, double rep event, Hollowed Woods which is by far the favourite event in TLOPO anyway... I'd say 700 players online is to be expected frankly with all of this.

I understand there are still bugs to be fixed. I would be more sympathetic if the bugs were just, average small bugs like most games have where it maybe causes a graphical glitch or whatever. But we all know that TLOPO is plagued by much more "potent" bugs, such as game crashes when entering most "high end" caves such as Tormenta's Cursed Caverns, people having quests removed from their journals (and emailing support and then receiving no response, then being told to email support again to rectify the issue..,) Tortuga flooding from time to time, the list goes on.

I know the game is in beta. It has been in beta for years and years now. I know the devs work hard. I'm just saying it how it is. Right now there are 3 people in my guilds discord general chat not being able to play the content they want because they can't access the caves because they crash. There comes a point where these things have to be fixed, permanently. Players who have been around for a long time know that most of these bugs are recurring in some shape or form, and as I stated previously, players lose a tolerance to play the game and directly speaking, lose the will to chat or interact when the game just... doesn't work.

Back