Tip Why you should level combat skills first.

Divine

Pirate Lord
If you are a casual player and don't really grind, then this isn't the post for you.

So hear me out, I saw someone yesterday who had almost maxed sailing and cannons first, everything else level one. I've also seen similar cases with potions and fishing. Now, if you do this, you go up in level. What does this mean? If you max sailing and cannons first you will be at roughly level 26-33, I can't predict exactly without calculating it. This means that when you decide to level combat afterwards against level 3 enemies which are ideal for level 1 combat, they will be easy because you're simply a much higher level, making leveling a lot slower and less challenging. See, with ships, enemy ships' level doesn't afffect the xp (as of v1.3.6). This means you can be level 40 and get the same xp if you were level 1 (unless you upgrade your skill points to do damage which is also bad for leveling). Bottom line is, this is why I've maxed all the combat skills first, to avoid the dismotivation to level them afterwards, similar to the feeling I have with sailing. Best alternative is leveling each skill together, but prioritizing combat. Either way, let me know what you guys think!

~Divine

Interesting. I believe in actuality combat is supposed to account for your weapon level as well as notoriety. One determines the damage you hit, the other determines your health. As it is a known fact that nametag color helps us understand the difficulty of an enemy, typically we would think it wise to combat those enemies that have red or yellow nametags. If we consider this, do you find that those lower level enemies should be skipped when you've leveled something else first?

Christopher

Interesting. I believe in actuality combat is supposed to account for your weapon level as well as notoriety. One determines the damage you hit, the other determines your health. As it is a known fact that nametag color helps us understand the difficulty of an enemy, typically we would think it wise to combat those enemies that have red or yellow nametags. If we consider this, do you find that those lower level enemies should be skipped when you've leveled something else first?

Christopher
No, because if you have a level 1 sword, you don't have the skills nor the damage to be able to fight enemies your level.

No, because if you have a level 1 sword, you don't have the skills nor the damage to be able to fight enemies your level.
The loot from sailing or fishing might help with that. But I guess when you look toward potions there is less money to be made. So I suppose that weapon issue would be most true in a potions situation. Otherwise you'd have sufficient funding to upgrade at the shop. But any thoughts on this?

Chris

The loot from sailing or fishing might help with that. But I guess when you look toward potions there is less money to be made. So I suppose that weapon issue would be most true in a potions situation. Otherwise you'd have sufficient funding to upgrade at the shop. But any thoughts on this?

Chris
Gold isn't the point I'm trying to get across, what I'm trying to say is that you can be level 20 potions and fishing and have even 200k gold (example) with EVERYTHING else level 1. Now, you will still have to kill a cadet for the main quest, which he is usually a yellow/red enemy. If you have those 2 maxed, the enemy will be greyed because you're just a way higher level, but you still have the same combat skills as a level 1. Also in regards to the shop, most items have a level requirement. What I'm stating isn't a bug or anything, it's just my opinion or view as to why you should level combat first.

I've don the calculations, and mastering all weapons as well as potions and fishing would give you at the very least 767,000 points, which is just under level 46, and I've still got a few levels left to go on sailing, shooting, 13 left on cannon and 18 on grenades. I'm sure I'll be level 50 by the time I get the four categories up to level 30 as I'm already level 41.

First off ,just to share my own experiences so far.Personally I don't see issue of fighting any red enemies or as much as 20+higher ai and skill level had nothing to do with it,or mass killing every grey in the way as i stroll around a never entered new area. Simply its weapon and using it wisely ie killed a rage ghost with level 10 weapon at level 21 from range, yes it took 21 mins lol. kill captain thrulls lvl 50 with level 12,21 and 24 weapons (combo of staff, dagger and sword to finish off at level 28 and save grenades for if overrun as I back away)result -drops the same garbage i get now at level 37 and best rep for single target was 273xp now 167 is average, but i still level right along, solo or not. many ai are very stupid and unless you fight like they do you will more often win, or simply back off a sec and have another go after a potion, or just a few seconds to let debuffs wear off. On that note sea combat currently is just as much often like shooting fish in a barrel. If you sink your ship at sea, frankly what ever level ,you are doing it wrong. If so ask for a ride with someone and watch how its done. Once ai gets smarter and ships react more that may change but right now its childishly easy.

I personally play game as it comes - mission by mission or just wondering to check out areas , not target farm bosses that seems to me repetitively boring. gotten famed from fishing and random enemies not just bosses. almost level 38, average skill on everything is 20-27 weapons, 22 sea. While at same time boss farming friends that started same time i did have 2 weapons max and many still at 1-5 level and surprise, i have passed then in character level by 3-5 levels with less focus on spam looting on the seas and boss fighting is much more fun just playing it as it comes, as well as checking out each mission chain, or seeing if there was something I missed from potco play.

To me the game was to be enjoyed, not rushed to max everything and all best gear< that comes over time with no effort at all. Take time to enjoy the journey and smell the rum,, not just guzzle it all gone, along the way. And for me making quests a requirement to advance to new areas is like a fresh chance to see if I missed anything myself along the way. Take time to just have fun and don't work so hard to max everything right out of the jail with Jack. Besides a good challenge adds far more character than the easy button(fastest way to done) ever will.

I do everything at once, so to speak.
Sailing, questing, battling, potions and fishing.
One of the first things I do is fishing and a few of the simple quests for gold.
I kill everything along the way, whatever I'm up to.
The only thing I consider when battling enemies is whether or not my hits are effective. If they enemy is too high and I only miss, then I move on and come back later.
Spending 15 minutes range attacking a tough enemy is a waste of my time when I can attack 40 enemies in the same amount of time and get 50 times the loot and rep.
Finding new weapons needing to be unlocked is how I decide which weapons to level at any given time. I like exploring the entire map and sinking ships along the way.
The only "problem" with my method might be that my pirate gets to level 40+ in less than a week, but hey, I just start a new one and continue.
Savor it!

Thank you for reminding us of this. I forgot about this issue until I read your post. Now, I have a faint memory of needing to go to one place in Tormenta to level up a class because my overall level had gotten too high.
As luck would have it, I haven't done much leveling on sailing or potions. When the game returns I'm going to move the lower level fighters up.
I'm in agreement with another poster who wrote earlier, take your time leveling up.

Christopher
this is true, even if you max sailing, cannon, potions, and fishing when you go to fight enemies for the first time the game will let you know which enemies you can fight with the green yellow red tags. they should also give a decent amount of rep preventing you from bottlenecking yourself completely and needing to grind for hours to fix it

this is true, even if you max sailing, cannon, potions, and fishing when you go to fight enemies for the first time the game will let you know which enemies you can fight with the green yellow red tags. they should also give a decent amount of rep preventing you from bottlenecking yourself completely and needing to grind for hours to fix it
I realize this but you let's say you are lvl 30 with sailing cannons And minigame maxed. What enemies will you kill with a lvl 1 sword?

I realize this but you let's say you are lvl 30 with sailing cannons And minigame maxed. What enemies will you kill with a lvl 1 sword?
Well, you'd still kill the same enemies you'd always kill with a lvl 1 sword, and upgrade as you progress, as always...

I remember Jeremiah Gleaming LVLing each skill one at a time, he called it puring. He had no difficulties and neither did I when I LVLed in a more or less balanced way. I think it's all a matter of personal preference. Do it the way you want because you enjoy it that way. Is there a fastest way to LVL and become a mastered pirate? Yes. Is that interesting to me? No. People quickly discover what works and what doesn't. I doubt that anyone has studied and tested the game enough to really determine the fastest way to master your pirate but you will certainly master quickly if you play a lot, no matter your methods. Many folks specifically don't want to LVL fast is something else to consider. Of course if you insist on only soloing Foulberto when he is not glitched in order to LVL sword you will see that there are things that just won't work.

Well, in POTCO, combat skills was the major thing either that or the flintlock, you would either have to play at ranged and hope you can keep back before the enemy gets to you, or you could deal as much damage as possible and possibly die trying. But sword play was the main way to play in my personal opinion, stuns etc could just destroy any other weapon welder.

I like to loot so usually that is the way I level usually gun sword dagger with sailing not far behind. Voodoo stuff always is last for me to level.
So yea that is how i get it done.

In POTCO I usually would level each weapon, say like till they were all level ten and just keep leveling them like that. A lot of times my doll leveled faster because I loved healing my guild mates and others when they needed it. And I loved grenades, but many of my friends didn't like them. I liked having more than one weapon that was a high level I guess that is why I leveled them all as equally as I did.

Back