Question Beta Key Drop Rate

AS soon as my playtime started and I went to that location I got it! So.. I would say digging is the best, but I'm sure other people have gotten from different things too.

AS soon as my playtime started and I went to that location I got it! So.. I would say digging is the best, but I'm sure other people have gotten from different things too.
You have no idea how hyped you got me to play during my time slot. I still have to wait 8 hours tho :/

You have no idea how hyped you got me to play during my time slot. I still have to wait 8 hours tho :/

No! Seriously!

I spent two hours digging holes using the Esc + Shift method, probably dug 500 to 600 holes, found nothing...

Each time you press Esc a message item comes up, something like "Quest item not found". There's a risk doing this could bork the hole, so I went back to the natural way of digging.

After another 80 odd (?) attempts doing it naturally, still nothing...

So what I can say with 100% certainty is this; If your playtime is valuable to you and you spend it digging holes, I can guarantee you almost certainly won't find anything in several hours! The odds of success appear to be miniscule. Now of course some players will find a key, and we will hear about that, but the truth of the matter is that if you spend your limited playtime doing this then the vast majority of players are going to end up disappointed and worse off than before they started :/

I hate to put it like this, but it's just the brutal reality of the situation.

So my advice is just think very carefully before you do this. The fact is you'll almost certainly be better off in the long run if you just go about your business as normal.

Good point Pugwash

Today i did the digging thing...at tortuga i did it for 2h and 30min not sure how many runs i did but it was a lot i dont got a key...and i just did this cause there was no NPCs around for continue my Black Pearl quests ppl should do the same u have like 1% chance to get a key from digging...it is being easier and easier to have access of these keys so if ppl have a bit of patience...soon u wont need it anymore :)

also...i was almost sleeping digging today...Jesus it is boring :p

The digging is something they can choose to do not have to do. Of course it would be rare its a famed colored item..

If you really want a beta key by playing the game then simply dig or defeat bosses, land units, monsters anything.. Nothing forces them too, they could do what they want to for 2 hours and maybe dig the rest? Or anything like that maybe not even dig at all.
Else you have the IRC chat where they send keys every now and then.

This was just another method to give players a "chance" to get a key more than wait for drops in chat or events.

TTR, back when they were in beta, had a key toontask system like this. Thing is, you could only find a key toontask if you got "flagged" as being eliglible for one. Unsure what the chance of being flagged for one was, but only so many people could be flagged at one time. Unsure when exactly the game determined you were eliglible, be it by a set amount of time, or some other system. Basically, if you weren't marked as able to find a key, no amount of looking would get you one.

It would not suprise me if TLOPO was using a similar setup.

Last edited:
TTR, back when they were in beta, had a key toontask system like this. Thing is, you could only find a key toontask if you got "flagged" as being eligible for one. Unsure what the chance of being flagged for one was, but only so many people could be flagged at one time. Unsure when exactly the game determined you were eliglible, be it by a set amount of time, or some other system. Basically, if you weren't marked as able to find a key, no amount of looking would get you one.

It would not suprise me if TLOPO was using a similar setup.
Everyone is eligible to find a Key. No one is exempt.

well..if someone already got a key and find another one i will be happy if someone give me one away :D

The key will be in good hands :)

In change of a key i will give a special gift for the guy...worth more than 1000 keys :)

Good point Pugwash

Today i did the digging thing...at tortuga i did it for 2h and 30min not sure how many runs i did but it was a lot i dont got a key...and i just did this cause there was no NPCs around for continue my Black Pearl quests ppl should do the same u have like 1% chance to get a key from digging...it is being easier and easier to have access of these keys so if ppl have a bit of patience...soon u wont need it anymore :)

also...i was almost sleeping digging today...Jesus it is boring :p
u mean digging different spots or shift/esc'ing

Can't you just go around sinking ships for a key? Imo, it seems like a better choice considering that depending on what ship you have your cumulative chances of getting a key get higher the more chests you have.. Plus it's way more fun

I was doing some sailing previously, got quite a few decent drops, no beta keys though :D

Does anyone know what a beta key actually looks like? I usually discard the loot (like, from ships), would be mortified if I found one and deleted it by accident!

maybe hunt Juggernauts and Man-O-Wars could be a good choice for have a chance to get a key...i made a crew for hunt ships with 15min before update we sunk some random ships and we got some chests and skull chest...loot wasnt bad much better than any loot i had once so on my mind take a ship and get a crew on it would make it...like get a cargo full of chests and skulls :)

According to one of the Lead Mods you can't find keys from ship loot.

This exact same thing just happened to me too!

I gave up digging and went to grind weaponskills, but the monsters are borked. So I teleported to Port Royal, dug one time and got it first try.

I'm not sure I want to retract my last post, because I still believe most players are going to end up disappointed if they spend all their playtime digging and don't get a key. But definitely check the dig spots after you arrive somewhere, even if it's only one dig.

Back