Caribbean Pirates Online

Panda3D is a closed environment used by python and c/c++. It uses its own python version.
-panda is designed to be used as python library, you can use any python you want, even the 3k releases.
Fact that P3D is open source software, free, designed for POTCO like games and well documented obviously didn't helped you, I am sorry for that.
For rest I can't say much. You will see yourself.

No need to be rude, @Atlas
I had best intentions.
Panda is powerful and easy to use engine. Professionals are working on it for years, decades. And you think you can build better engine? If you can that is awesome but I doubt in that. It is not intended to be used as point and click game engine for noobs, it is intended to be used by skilled programmers.
If you want to use *hard* words , we can take this to private conversation.

I believe what he means simplified is that Panda3d is a bit outdated, as such it has restrictions & so on.

Thus making it so you have to work very hard on each specific aspect before moving on to the next one (making the task of remaking the game quite daunting and universally more time consuming)

Disney had a whole team of people working on different parts of the game as well as the ability to add pieces later, such as invasions etc.

The PotcO Rewritten team had found out the hard way that as the game was full of so many mechanics, minigames, and othery, the coding was complicated with a capital 'C' and they had (to my knowledge) too many pieces of the puzzle to put together at once, then they argued about how to do A or B, then *poof* project gone, and it was the 'Ah, suck-buttons mcGee...' heard 'round the world.

Being one guy (presumably alone), its a bit too deep a river to ford, so he switched to another engine from which he can make the same thing (or so he claims *dramatic orchestra that follows me around plays a chord*)

I disagree with his choice in changing engines mainly out of fear of it not being able to be properly reconstructed.
However, Panda is a bit difficult to work with, as you need to have a serious grasp of what your working with and what your going to do with it.

If the two o' ye still want to pick at each other's ears, I've got two pistols and a twenty pace yard o'er here for ye, should you want to sort this out like gentlemen.

People have wrong info about P3D.
When I first started working with Panda3D (came from nice Unity3D GUI editor) it was frustrating.
I *ashamed* literally spent week trying to start the editor and on end I found out there isn't editor for P3D. I was shocked and wondered how anyone can make games like that.

Today I wonder how I managed to do anything with unity. Panda might be outdated on several parts but in general it is up-to-date engine for these days standards.

What I love about it is fast prototyping and ability do make games amazingly fast, what makes it more awesome it is designed as library but it is heavily integrated with python too. So I can use any Python library ('plugin') and it just works with P3D, I have also full control over engine source so I compile my own versions, customized and enchanted with ton of Python libraries.

Panda is definitely NOT difficult to work with, if you know some basics of python you can start making games right away. If you spent a month learning python and P3D only 2 hours a day, you would be able to make fully functional games. You don't even need to know what you are doing, as I said you can prototype quite fast.

For another remake and POTCO, to make game work you actualy need trivial amount of code...
another remake, check out panda3d/direct/distributed source. Read the comments. It is actually simple :)

Regards, Myst.

For another remake and POTCO, to make game work you actualy need trivial amount of code...
another remake, check out panda3d/direct/distributed source. Read the comments. It is actually simple :)

Regards, Myst.
I ask this as a honest question, not as a rude or "smart" response... if remaking POTCO is so simple why haven't you done it?

1. another remake banned me so I destroyed any progress I made. Wont come back, can't come back. Neither help them.

2. I know community wants to play but I don't want to messy with Disney , sorry. I will rather continue building completely new game, dirty copy of pirates but to have everything legal :)

1. another remake banned me so I destroyed any progress I made. Wont come back, can't come back. Neither help them.

2. I know community wants to play but I don't want to messy with Disney , sorry. I will rather continue building completely new game, dirty copy of pirates but to have everything legal :)
I see. Very respectable to do such a thing, while you are likely the most knowledgable person in the community about Panda3D and such. You have further gained my respect for staying legal and honest with your project. ;)

So... does this mean you're cancelling CPO?

People have wrong info about P3D.
When I first started working with Panda3D (came from nice Unity3D GUI editor) it was frustrating.
I *ashamed* literally spent week trying to start the editor and on end I found out there isn't editor for P3D. I was shocked and wondered how anyone can make games like that.

Today I wonder how I managed to do anything with unity. Panda might be outdated on several parts but in general it is up-to-date engine for these days standards.

What I love about it is fast prototyping and ability do make games amazingly fast, what makes it more awesome it is designed as library but it is heavily integrated with python too. So I can use any Python library ('plugin') and it just works with P3D, I have also full control over engine source so I compile my own versions, customized and enchanted with ton of Python libraries.

Panda is definitely NOT difficult to work with, if you know some basics of python you can start making games right away. If you spent a month learning python and P3D only 2 hours a day, you would be able to make fully functional games. You don't even need to know what you are doing, as I said you can prototype quite fast.

Regards, Myst.

My my, I was misinformed into the next dimension :D

I had thought it was rather like the warcraft 3 editor (which I use quite a lot) but strictly text driven, IE click on a model and type in its new x-y-z coordinates. Glad to hear its considerably more wieldy than I was told!

Where I come from, +rep is a thing, so have a slice of rep on the house, good sir!

Back