Suggestion Changing IRC rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

David0

Swashbuckler
So I was having difficulties starting the game today and I thought I could receive some help on IRC.
I go to IRC and list my problem, and then someone says "D*mn" because I wasn't receiving any crash reports when my game was crashing.
After he says that, he gets kicked and then joins again a few seconds later. I thought it was funny that he was kicked for such a word so I wrote "Lm*o"
Immediately after, I was kicked and banned from the channel.

I think it's slightly (exceptionally) ridiculous that these words can get you kicked/banned off from the IRC channel, especially since they were not meant to offend/insult anyone.

It's a family friendly channel. Its rules are available for everyone to read and if you don't comply, there will be a punishment. You don't have to use it, but if you do, you have to follow the rules.

It's a family friendly channel. Its rules are available for everyone to read and if you don't comply, there will be a punishment. You don't have to use it, but if you do, you have to follow the rules.

So banning someone for laughing is appropriate? Why shouldn't these words simply be censored? Or even a kick, that would have been enough.

So I was having difficulties starting the game today and I thought I could receive some help on IRC.
I go to IRC and list my problem, and then someone says "D*mn" because I wasn't receiving any crash reports when my game was crashing.
After he says that, he gets kicked and then joins again a few seconds later. I thought it was funny that he was kicked for such a word so I wrote "Lm*o"
Immediately after, I was kicked and banned from the channel.

I think it's slightly (exceptionally) ridiculous that these words can get you kicked/banned off from the IRC channel, especially since they were not meant to offend/insult anyone.
there was just a whole post about this matter the other day. you agree to the rules when you sign up therefore you must follow them even if you dont agree with them. the devs said they may consider changing some things about the restrictions but it is what it is for now

Maybe to kinda solve this, there's another link to pastebin or something that has all the words that you cannot say in the chat, so no one is surprised when they get banned/kicked for cursing or using another inappropriate word.

I know I agreed to the rules when I signed up.
I don't recall reading about any rule that prevents suggestions about modifications to the rules tho.

I am simply posting this to get the opinions of the community

I know I agreed to the rules when I signed up.
I don't recall reading about any rule that prevents suggestions about modifications to the rules tho.

I am simply posting this to get the opinions of the community
Any curse word is not allowed changing it to allow curse words is indefinitly not allowed

So banning someone for laughing is appropriate? Why shouldn't these words simply be censored? Or even a kick, that would have been enough.
It's the word that the acronym implies that's frowned upon. Also, it's not a permanent ban, if anything it's a temporary 20 minute ban (I think that's how long it lasts, I haven't been on the IRC in a while)

Also, words can't be censored on the IRC. That's why kicks and bans happen instead. It may come across as strict, but it gets the point across and teaches the lesson needed. Plus, with it being temporary punishment, people can get back on after a short time.
Maybe to kinda solve this, there's another link to pastebin or something that has all the words that you cannot say in the chat, so no one is surprised when they get banned/kicked for cursing or using another inappropriate word.
This was said in regards to a similar request to publish the TLOPO blacklist:
The BlackList is not available for public view. It is a part of TLOPO's source code. Just imagine a large list of every bad word and phrase.
Although it's not part of the TLOPO source code, it would still be counter-productive to post a long list of cuss words and such. That would be like telling people they can't eat ice cream, and then opening an ice cream shop. It would make them hypocrites.

It's the word that the acronym implies that's frowned upon. Also, it's not a permanent ban, if anything it's a temporary 20 minute ban (I think that's how long it lasts, I haven't been on the IRC in a while)

Also, words can't be censored on the IRC. That's why kicks and bans happen instead. It may come across as strict, but it gets the point across and teaches the lesson needed. Plus, with it being temporary punishment, people can get back on after a short time.

This was said in regards to a similar request to publish the TLOPO blacklist:

Although it's not part of the TLOPO source code, it would still be counter-productive to post a long list of cuss words and such. That would be like telling people they can't eat ice cream, and then opening an ice cream shop. It would make them hypocrites.
Oh okay I see. I wasn't aware of that, my bad.

Maybe they should look into a program that allows this sort of censorship but without a negative action being placed on the account since this is a recurring topic of discussion within the community.

I do find it strange that there wasn't a censorship.

Especially when people are trying to enforce the rules for language.

You know to be honest it's not bad, I actually had the same issue a while ago where I typed the less than family friendly version of lol. I was banned for 20 minutes or so, but instead of thinking that the chats rules need to change, I took that slap on the wrist and I haven't made the same mistake again.

Although I still blame Johnny for making a joke. ;)

You know to be honest it's not bad, I actually had the same issue a while ago where I typed the less than family friendly version of lol. I was banned for 20 minutes or so, but instead of thinking that the chats rules need to change, I took that slap on the wrist and I haven't made the same mistake again.

Although I still blame Johnny for making a joke. ;)

Yeah most of us kids is already grown up who missed the game.

(I'm 19 years old in university)

So it's natural for us to use such language.

Most kids never heard about this game since they weren't here when it was in it's prime.

...Although it's not part of the TLOPO source code, it would still be counter-productive to post a long list of cuss words and such. That would be like telling people they can't eat ice cream, and then opening an ice cream shop. It would make them hypocrites.
I disagree. :eek: I think the posting of something (particularly in the form of examples [i.e., common example words many people have grown accustomed to using in their every day lives]) kills two birds with one stone - for TLOPO. If not, the scenario becomes people are becoming disciplined for having no knowledge of the use of the "badness" of a word.

The whole blacklist doesn't need to be shown (that's not what I am saying). Rather instead, a bit of communication goes a long way and if people are made to feel like they should know every bad word under the SUN just to remain in compliance...ye mates must understand as well yer going to wind up with a lot of those feelings being stepped on regardless or not if someone had agreed to the rules (to which they didn't quite understand in the first place).

In the end, the goal shouldn't be about making people learn by the slapping of their wrists. (Besides, during POTCO's time did that strategy work effectively anyway, in so far as animosity is concerned)? The goal should really be about damage-control and open/transparent communication. Part of that involves having NO surprises..."No, not one surprise at all!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah most of us kids is already grown up who missed the game.

(I'm 19 years old in university)

So it's natural for us to use such language.

Most kids never heard about this game since they weren't here when it was in it's prime.

Actually I have a neighbor who is a mother and her 6 year old plays as well, absolutely loves fishing.

I wouldn't say it's natural, I've completely cut out all bad language without trying to, the only one I used on rare occasions was Lm*o. Once you're not around it on a daily basis it drops out of your vocabulary naturally.

Anyways, I think you misunderstood my first post. I'm actually completely fine with the filter and I feel if anything people will only better themselves from it, not that you shouldn't be able to use the words you want to in daily life, but in a professional setting you wouldn't be using them anyways.

Actually I have a neighbor who is a mother and her 6 year old plays as well, absolutely loves fishing.

I wouldn't say it's natural, I've completely cut out all bad language without trying to, the only one I used on rare occasions was Lm*o. Once you're not around it on a daily basis it drops out of your vocabulary naturally.

Anyways, I think you misunderstood my first post. I'm actually completely fine with the filter and I feel if anything people will only better themselves from it, not that you shouldn't be able to use the words you want to in daily life, but in a professional setting you wouldn't be using them anyways.
You make a good point. If a person can stop using that kind of language at say a job interview or at work, or any professional environment, why can't they dial it back here too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back