Event Dread Poet Roberts Grotto Poetry Nights

Event is open to all-- subject to the vagaries of the server load. If you can sail to Devil Anvil or hitch a ride on someone's boat, all are welcome.

Since it's been 3 years since our last story time -- a rules refresher:
1. Unless asked to by the story teller--stow your weapons-- the grotto is a weapons-free zone.
2. Don't annoy the story tellers on stage -- ( i.e. until you get up on stage you have no idea how difficult it is to do a speech before a large group ) that means no attacking the performer, setting off fart potions in their face or anything else crafty pirates have come up with.
3. We have 3-4 spots per night for story tellers. If you want a spot whisper to me in the grotto about 10-15 minutes before event starts. I try to accommodate specific requests but will set the order of the act. Do not go on stage until it is your turn -- the stage (rock) is the story teller's alone
4. Clap wildly for all the story tellers when they finish their act.

SUPER excited to make it to the inaugural Story time for Beta...unfortunately it will be the only one i get to attend for awhile...good ol' j.o.b. keepin a pirate down these days ;)

Aye, I remember the gatherings well. I attended many such events. Every event had a well attended gathering.

Update: Cassie from Dragons Twilight has agreed to be Co-host. We will alternate hosting responsibilities so that each of us does it once a month.

Last edited:
Update from our Dress rehearsal of Story Time.

Event will be held on Monday January 2 at 7PM Pacific, 10PM Eastern on Marineros server, Devil Anvil, Barbossa Grotto. \

If you want to tell a story -- please be at the Grotto about 15 minutes before the start.

Last evening, Ben Gone and I tested out formats for Story Time. A couple of observations/ bugs to comment on the process

1. Expect disconnects. We got disconnected/ reset 6 times during the test. In the event of a story teller disconnect during their story, the host will go back up on stage and sing and dance until the story teller comes back. If after a reasonable amount of time goes by and the story teller has not returned, we will proceed to the next story teller (note to developers -- how do you do "zombie" if it is not in the pull down list?)
2. Expect long delays. Since you cannot teleport directly to Devil Anvil or to a person, in order to get back to story time, someone has to sail over there. Expect a disconnect to keep the story teller off line for about 5-7 minutes while they sail back. We have back up locations on main islands that we may change story time to-- Butcher Brown's Marketplace on Tortuga (through the gateway next to Tortuga Graveyard) is Plan B. Fort Charles Campground on Port Royal (where the Teepees are -- to the right of the main stairs to the Port Royal Fort) is Plan C. If disconnects happen persistently we will switch to the alternate locations.
3. White list is still very restrictive-- story tellers should test their stories before hand-- you may need to change words to pass the white list filters. I ran a test on an old story -- and 10 of my words were not in the dictionary over 3 paragraphs. Expect many Arrrs and Yarrrs -- both as storyteller and as audience.
4. Copy and Paste works best -- have 2 screens with the word version in one window and the game in the other window so you can copy directly from the text version. Works on notepad and MS word. I did not try other formats.
5. Long lag on copy and paste: Copy and Paste takes about 10 seconds per line of text to populate in the game. During that time the storyteller is frozen. Story tellers will not be able to answer whispers while doing their story.
6. Copy and paste multiple text lines: Copy and Paste multiple lines of text sometimes works -- but runs the text together so words that would normally come through as valid words get mashed together as Arrr. I will be doing single lines of text during my story.
7. Avoid punctuation -- periods (.) cause the game some confusion since it acts as a thought bubble
8. Bug: nearby ships show up as tiny Carp in the floor and sail under the audience. Also the water texture appears to have disappeared from the grotto cave floor so now it is just grey.

Hope to see you all there.

--DreadPoet Roberts

Last night, even with patches, it was lovely! Over 100 people on Marinaros, I had to wait until it hit 99 and mash the button to get back in! I can only see it getting better from here, thanks Dread and all pirates who've helped bring the game and thus storytime back. ::hugs!::

Attachments

• Screenshot (142).png
    Screenshot (142).png
    1.9 MB · Views: 120
The White List is growing steadily with the help of Deanaug and Cheysa Finn. Over 7500 words have been input since POTCO with over 670 currently in process. We don't have a count of the valid words that were in POTCOs database (it was significant), but the average person knows 20,000 to 30,000 words. We have made very good progress in establishing a reasonable lexicon, but we have, yet, a little ways to go.

As for the white list, I might suggest to bards wanting to tell a tale at dreads next to test words you're concerned about or even whole lines in Chat so you won't be surprised at story time.
Aye. When veterans talk about rehearsing, this is what they are talking about. Also consider trying out the cut-and-paste method as, when the time comes, this is easier than dealing with nervous fingers. Cut-and-paste has some of its own issues to be dealt with whether you are cutting from Notebook, Word, or something other.

Back