Workaround [FIX] Game crashing / d3dx9_4x.dll is missing when clicking play

I have tried all of the steps as well. All have been unsuccessful unfortunately. @BrandonSJ96 steps seemed to make the most sense to me, perhaps I am doing a step wrong.

Maybe a little background will help.

I have reset my computer. I have updated my computer. I have attempted both OpenGL and DirectX. the DirectX (DirectX12) program on my computer is fully updated. I have contacted Microsoft support in regards to DirectX. I have installed and uninstall the game. I have attempted to download DirectX9 and haven't been able to do so successfully. I really want to play the game but I'm afraid the frustration isn't worth it.

Attachments

• Error.PNG
    Error.PNG
    10.5 KB · Views: 306
I have tried all of the steps as well. All have been unsuccessful unfortunately. @BrandonSJ96 steps seemed to make the most sense to me, perhaps I am doing a step wrong.

Maybe a little background will help.

I have reset my computer. I have updated my computer. I have attempted both OpenGL and DirectX. the DirectX (DirectX12) program on my computer is fully updated. I have contacted Microsoft support in regards to DirectX. I have installed and uninstall the game. I have attempted to download DirectX9 and haven't been able to do so successfully. I really want to play the game but I'm afraid the frustration isn't worth it.
I have exacly the same problem, my computer runs win 10. if you find solution can you help me out aswell?

In the launcher, when you switch to either OpenGL or DirectX, you still need to have dxd9_42.dll. I fixed this by installing the SDK for DirectX on Windows 10, as can all of you.

I am unsure if installing these runtimes actually works, but I'm pretty sure it should work given that it's the exact DirectX version that the client needs. Furthermore, I am 100% sure that installing this will work, as it is every single library that DirectX has compiled into one download as of June 2010.

I just wanted to make it clear that you can't just fix the game by selecting only "OpenGL" as some people seem to think, as I have observed from a number of threads specifically asking how to fix this issue.

To install the DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010), just run the installer, and when prompted to select a folder, create one on your desktop and choose it as the location to dump all of the runtimes into. Then, go into that folder and run "Setup.exe" which should install all of the DirectX runtimes that are needed to run the game.

Do not switch the game into DirectX mode. It will still crash.
These binaries are also required to run OpenGL.

In the launcher, when you switch to either OpenGL or DirectX, you still need to have dxd9_42.dll. I fixed this by installing the SDK for DirectX on Windows 10, as can all of you.

I am unsure if installing these runtimes actually works, but I'm pretty sure it should work given that it's the exact DirectX version that the client needs. Furthermore, I am 100% sure that installing this will work, as it is every single library that DirectX has compiled into one download as of June 2010.

I just wanted to make it clear that you can't just fix the game by selecting only "OpenGL" as some people seem to think, as I have observed from a number of threads specifically asking how to fix this issue.

To install the DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010), just run the installer, and when prompted to select a folder, create one on your desktop and choose it as the location to dump all of the runtimes into. Then, go into that folder and run "Setup.exe" which should install all of the DirectX runtimes that are needed to run the game.

Do not switch the game into DirectX mode. It will still crash.
These binaries are also required to run OpenGL.
You lost me mate!
What are you trying to fix?
I take anything that would reduce or eliminate game crashing and improve the game running.

I can say with certainity that both of your links point to the same repositories. The latter option is an offline download for the first option. Meaning that you'll end up having the exact same libraries. Since DX9 has reached EOL quite a few years now it's safe to download and store the offline installer so that you may use it indefinitely.

Other than that, I too can confirm that despite the API of your preferance, the latest DirectX libraries are required to play the game as expected. That's not the case with Macs.

Please never ever download the .dll files that TLOPO needs manually. You'll most likely end up with another error because the .dlls you've copied to game's folder aren't placed to system's folders and thus the game will still not work. Installing DX9c is a fail-safe route as the installer patches the newest updates to your Windows folder as well. (specific location can vary from configuration to configuration)

You lost me mate!
What are you trying to fix?
I take anything that would reduce or eliminate game crashing and improve the game running.

These are just for users who cannot run the game because they get the "missing dxd9_42.dll" error.

I can say with certainity that both of your links point to the same repositories. The latter option is an offline download for the first option. Meaning that you'll end up having the exact same libraries. Since DX9 has reached EOL quite a few years now it's safe to download and store the offline installer so that you may use it indefinitely.

I figured that they pointed to the same binaries.

Please never ever download the .dll files that TLOPO needs manually. You'll most likely end up with another error because the .dlls you've copied to game's folder aren't placed to system's folders and thus the game will still not work. Installing DX9c is a fail-safe route as the installer patches the newest updates to your Windows folder as well. (specific location can vary from configuration to configuration)

As for this, I believe it should be put on the downloads page. I can almost guarantee some people will be doing this, and it could be potentially harmful to their computer, as many of the "free dlls" you see online can contain viruses. Also, maybe put the link to the downloader help page, so people can figure out what their error is and fix it, if the link isn't already there.

As for this, I believe it should be put on the downloads page. I can almost guarantee some people will be doing this, and it could be potentially harmful to their computer, as many of the "free dlls" you see online can contain viruses. Also, maybe put the link to the downloader help page, so people can figure out what their error is and fix it, if the link isn't already there.
I'd agree with having it as a downloadable link on TLOPO's download page. It should clear the confusion that people are getting

I have tried all of these suggestions, multiple times, and I am still getting the "d3dx9_42.dll missing." I have spent the past 3 hours downloading, undownloading, updating, and restarting just to get no where. Very disappointing...

So i see a lot of people getting the 2 common errors, and I'll show you the fixes for windows. If there is any other issue you're having let me know, and I'll see if I can find a fix to add to this tutorial:

View attachment 82500
This issue only states that you don't have the latest directx9 runtimes installed.

Fix by going to this link and downloading and installing the directx9 runtime program.

If installing directX9 doesn't work, google and download the .dll you're missing and place it in the TLOPO directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\TLOPO"
Thanks to @RoseFox for the insight!

View attachment 82501
I don't know the cause of this issue, but it can be fixed by simply setting your display option to openGL

View attachment 82502
View attachment 82503
are u able to play on directx9 cuz I never was able too

Does anyone have a direct download link for d3dx9_42.dll that is safe? It's very easy to find a lot of download links from Google but would rather not be exposed to taking risks of gaining a virus. The 9.0c end-user runtime download does not work on Windows 10 since it doesn't support that software.
there are tutorials on youtube

Back