Discussion Founder Discussion Poll

How would you like Founder Status to be earned in TLOPO?

• Total voters
Sorry for double post, but didnt feel editing would be right because this is a different idea. Someone once said that in the game files there was a silver founder coin, maybe alpha key testers could get a gold founder coin, and beta key testers could get a silver coin? There would probably be a ton of beta testers so a lot of people would at least get a founder coin, or even beta testers without keys, but i say keep the gold founder coin exclusive to only alpha key testers.

...and if someone's feelings get hurt, while that is a tough situation, only the well deserving ones should get it.
I get what you are saying and I respect your choice but, whom is appropriately qualified to even decide which pirates "deserve" being rewarded over others? - See the dilemma? :confused:

What one person feels as deserving could mean quite the opposite to another.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get what you are saying and I respect your choice but, whom is appropriately qualified to even decide which pirates "deserve" being rewarded over others? - See the dilemma? :confused:

What one person feels as deserving could mean quite the opposite to another.
You got me there, but in my personal opinion, people who are in IRC helping others, who bring a positive attitude to the game, report bugs just a well rounded community member, I hate to name names but off the top of my head, RoseFox, Roger Gunshot, Brittany_ and there's a bunch more those are the ones off the top of my head

You got me there, but in my personal opinion, people who are in IRC helping others, who bring a positive attitude to the game, report bugs just a well rounded community member, I hate to name names but off the top of my head, RoseFox, Roger Gunshot, Brittany_ and there's a bunch more those are the ones off the top of my head
Problem still becomes, whom is going around jotting these things down and keeping adequate score. I just think the whole process is unnecessary but if it was, it would be a monumental task for TLOPO to assure that everything was done both fairly and diplomatically to the point to where no pirate feelings were being jeopardized. :)

Not everyone goes on the IRC chat.

Problem still becomes, whom is going around jotting these things down and keeping adequate score. I just think the whole process is unnecessary but if it was, it would be a monumental task for TLOPO to assure that everything was done both fairly and diplomatically to the point to where no pirate feelings were being jeopardized. :)
I mean, the most "fair" method would just be to claim that the tag is simply a reminder of accounts that existed during X phase of the game. I think that everyone here is attributing far more to the meaning of the founder tag than was really given by even Disney themselves. The meaning was simple: You were part of a specific phase of the game's development, and thus you got the tag. No matter who you are. No existence of prejudice based on merit was given by Disney, and technically that is simply the most fair of all routes.

That being said, of course people love to attribute "more meaning" to founders tags, because as POTCO itself progressed, people saw those tags as "experienced players", and thus attributed that additional merit to the tags. However, I do think people are simply forgetting the original reason for the tags, which was simple. You participated in beta? You got the tag!

Christopher

* None of this is a full team sentiment, this is merely my analysis of the situation and why I personally think everyone with a key should be given the golden name tag. As well, there are options for our texture artist to make any number of special tags. We do not have limits!

I mean, the most "fair" method would just be to claim that the tag is simply a reminder of accounts that existed during X phase of the game. I think that everyone here is attributing far more to the meaning of the founder tag than was really given by even Disney themselves. The meaning was simple: You were part of a specific phase of the game's development, and thus you got the tag. No matter who you are. No existence of prejudice based on merit was given by Disney, and technically that is simply the most fair of all routes.

That being said, of course people love to attribute "more meaning" to founders tags, because as POTCO itself progressed, people saw those tags as "experienced players", and thus attributed that additional merit to the tags. However, I do think people are simply forgetting the original reason for the tags, which was simple. You participated in beta? You got the tag!

Christopher

* None of this is a full team sentiment, this is merely my analysis of the situation and why I personally think everyone with a key should be given the golden name tag. As well, there are options for our texture artist to make any number of special tags. We do not have limits!

Actually it was for people who signed up/paid money for UA during the first 30 days (maybe longer, i can't quite remember) of open release. I'm not positive you had to even participate in Beta. I just know in Beta, you could pre-order it and get $5 off the first month

here is my "welcome" letter for Founders
https://gyazo.com/4d1496e6f32311f270f18a9c649a8276

I do agree that the meaning is getting blown out of proportion. That said, my 2 cents is this: IF its going to be giving out at all, it should be similiar to how Disney did it (minus the paying for it of course :p) Just whoever signs up in the first week or two get it. I wouldn't make it contingent on being an Alpha or Beta tester, do the loyalty bandanas, coins, medals, whatever for that.

There's a problem with the kickstarter campaign. The developers for TLOPO cannot make a profit off of this game, as Disney still owns the copyright on it, and could shut them down and bring them to court if they found out any money was being made. Did some people have the founder status and stop playing? Yes. Did other people not have the founder status and stop playing? Yes. Some might just stop playing for their own reasons, and it's not really that big of a deal.

Now, onto my idea. (If you can call a half-formed thing that I thought of while typing this an idea) I think that people who actively participate in the community, like you said Beau, should get the founder status, as it shows that they were committed to helping bringing this game back, whether by sending in bug reports, helping other players, or doing something to contribute to the game in some way. (not monetarily of course) That's just my 2 cents on the whole founders thing.

Total Agreement! I was just using Kickstarter as an example of what I would classify a true "founder" to be.

Actually it was for people who signed up/paid money for UA during the first 30 days (maybe longer, i can't quite remember) of open release. I'm not positive you had to even participate in Beta. I just know in Beta, you could pre-order it and get $5 off the first month

I do agree that the meaning is getting blown out of proportion. That said, my 2 cents is this: IF its going to be giving out at all, it should be similiar to how Disney did it (minus the paying for it of course :p) Just whoever signs up in the first week or two get it. I wouldn't make it contingent on being an Alpha or Beta tester, do the loyalty bandanas, coins, medals, whatever for that.
Thank you for the clarification on that, I joined just after BETA and missed out on the cool emails!

I do agree as well with your sentiment on how the tags should be handed out. They really are just a simple method of seeing who was around in the beginning of the game's release.

I like the idea of redeemable codes based on your account's creation date that reward your pirate with special wearable items. However, I dislike the inequitable circumstance they come in, in which other users do not gain privy to these items. That being said, the same could be thought about nametags. I suppose in the end, if nametags are given out at all, the situation will in turn be inequitable. This is due to the fact that we simply cannot control time, nor can we control circumstance.

To go further on this thought, I do think items are different than nametags. Nametags are a permanent feature. Items can be removed from your inventory. We could add a "re-redeem" functionality that allows the user to gain back their items at whatever time they choose. I think this would be a good option for the users that played during alpha and beta, but want to save room for their legendaries!

Chris

Edit: We could also add in more inventory functionality, like extra storage. As well, we could add in many nametag options, such as "titles", and the ability to toggle between the "founder" tag, and other tag styles.

If it doesn't benefit everyone (to where some are rewarded while others are not), it shouldn't be done because of the fact that on POTCO there were a lot of people whom were rightfully chosen by Disney representatives.

Not to down-play anyone associated within the TLOPO-team at all, there isn't enough "authority" for any one of them (or any one of us) to designate such a reward to any one player much like there is no "authority" for anyone to call POTCO's code their own...with the exception of tweaks made where a person's own time and energy was put into developing said tweak. Does that make sense, to ye pirates? :confused: I hope it does.

Alas, I don't mean to be a buzz-killer here but to be perfectly honest a reward system will always cause at least someone to feel as if they have been left-out of the process. If further division is what ye want, then ignore everything I said and "go for it"....
My response to this is pretty much what @Christofosho said above... I just wanted to add two things:
1. Most mmos have founder, it's not just a potco thing. One misconception I think a lot of people have is thinking founder is earned or only given to exemplary players. This is not true. Founder titles are given almost always to people for the following criteria: "Play the game within X time of game launch." We were lucky to have so many founders that were good players and nice people, but this is not something required of founders in any game.
2. I think some people are looking at founder as a way to not include people/make them feel bad. This is not true. Founder is a way to encourage more players to play the game early and reward those who have been supportive of the game.

I remember when they were giving out founders but I was still a basic and didn't become UA TIL

I joined in January of 2008, I was a basic member when they gave out the Founder's gold coin, I was new to game, so I didn't know what was going on and got UA a month later, even though I missed out on getting a gold coin, this game was everything to me.

Thank you for the clarification on that, I joined just after BETA and missed out on the cool emails!

I do agree as well with your sentiment on how the tags should be handed out. They really are just a simple method of seeing who was around in the beginning of the game's release.

I like the idea of redeemable codes based on your account's creation date that reward your pirate with special wearable items. However, I dislike the inequitable circumstance they come in, in which other users do not gain privy to these items. That being said, the same could be thought about nametags. I suppose in the end, if nametags are given out at all, the situation will in turn be inequitable. This is due to the fact that we simply cannot control time, nor can we control circumstance.

To go further on this thought, I do think items are different than nametags. Nametags are a permanent feature. Items can be removed from your inventory. We could add a "re-redeem" functionality that allows the user to gain back their items at whatever time they choose. I think this would be a good option for the users that played during alpha and beta, but want to save room for their legendaries!

Chris

Edit: We could also add in more inventory functionality, like extra storage. As well, we could add in many nametag options, such as "titles", and the ability to toggle between the "founder" tag, and other tag styles.
A lot of that sounds like the thread I made yesterday regarding this dilemma.

If anyone hasn't read it yet, I encourage you to do so!

https://piratesforums.co/threads/ho...s-without-a-founders-badge.12907/#post-190189

I guess I understand everyone's point. It's just, we can all say that founder status is to be perceived a certain way when in reality (and once they are divvy-out) will they? We have no guarantee that they will be (nor do we have any guarantee that they won't).

It's the element of uncertainty to which most concerns me, towards others' perception of their use/acceptance.

I have an idea on how to reward early players without having the founder badge, though. If you participate in Beta, you get a silver (B) badge which stands for Beta tester, and an exclusive Crossbones Bandana. If you participate in Alpha, you get a gold (A) badge which stands for Alpha tester, and an exclusive Loyalty Bandana. You will also get the rewards for Beta Tester. Since this project is so closely followed by the demographic of the POTCO community still interested playing the game again, I'm not really expected a huge jump in members from open beta to full release. So there wouldn't be a special badge or item for players who start to play right after the full release.
This is what would probably work best in my opinion.

An idea that I thought would be pretty a-okay is rewarding pirates based on their notoriety level that they received in Alpha. Maybe not a badge, but maybe a special bandanna or outfit for hitting level 5, 10, and 15 in the Alpha. Since there's not much to do in the game, you really have to grind fishing or potion-making in order to get notoriety. This naturally happens by playing the game alot, and by being on the servers you're already helping out a lot just by "stressing" the server as much as you have, if that's the right way to phrase it. Even if they don't report or send feedback or actually look for bugs and stuff, it's gonna end up taking a lot of time to grind for those levels, and believing in the game that much deserves some form of reward. Plus, it's fair for those who aren't lucky enough to get keys but still have put in frequent time slots.

Chris

I think something like this on the Badges menu would work.
BadgesConcept.png

The POTCO community is one that definitely stood the test of time and definitely evolved, with that Founder Status did also.

I guess when Founder Coins were first introduced they were different than how they are perceived to be now. As the game aged, Founders were pretty rare, or atleast in my case. Whenever I saw a Founder I immediately dropped what I was doing and went to greet them (like a noob xD) like they were gods. And I believe that Founders were perceived to be like gods in the game, in a certain sense. I think that everybody is getting excited because about 90% of us were not Founders and now with these emulators then we all have a equal chance or a higher chance to get Founder Status.

As for how it should be done. I don't think it should be awarded just to Alpha Players, because lets be honest 99.9% of all Alpha players got their key by sheer luck, for example I got my key from a very generous person (luck). Only the first 5 challenges really required any kind of skill. So if it was to be decided that only alpha players with a key are to get Founder Status then it would be really unfair to the others. In my honest opinion I think that as it was stated above, it should be awarded to those who play within the first week or weeks. That way, it gives everybody a fair chance of getting it, but lessening the chance of everyone running around with a Coin which really takes away the "lore" of Founders.

Back