Honest opinion on Galleons?

It all depends on the captain, mate. If you like slow and powerful, War Galleons are for you.
Also, I think that if you DO get a War Galleon, the Copperhead upgrade would make it's advantages shine a bit more.
Personally, if I'm next to a rank 6 Copperhead War Galleon, I'd RUN. Unless I was in the mood for death by explosive spam.

I understand what you mean but, let's say (for example) we are talking about sports cars here.

*Now, if you happen to see a Ferrari parked in front of your house...you could easily climb into it, put the keys into the ignition, & feel the "power," aye? Well...what if this Ferrari had everything to offer to you but the tires had been stolen the night before & the whole chassis was resting atop 4 cinder (concrete) blocks? Would you get very far? My hope is that you would but alas, I think maybe not...

Don't get me wrong. A Galleon does have it's advantages :D (& as you say some 'power' to it as well). However, that type of power would be somewhat limited & not much good if you were planning to go someplace in a hurry.

I think this is a good idea.

I understand what you mean but, let's say (for example) we are talking about sports cars here.

*Now, if you happen to see a Ferrari parked in front of your house...you could easily climb into it, put the keys into the ignition, & feel the "power," aye? Well...what if this Ferrari had everything to offer to you but the tires had been stolen the night before & the whole chassis was resting atop 4 cinder (concrete) blocks? Would you get very far? My hope is that you would but alas, I think maybe not...

Don't get me wrong. A Galleon does have it's advantages :D (& as you say some 'power' to it as well). However, that type of power would be somewhat limited & not much good if you were planning to go someplace in a hurry.

I think this is a good idea.

Personally, if I'm next to a rank 6 Copperhead War Galleon, I'd RUN. Unless I was in the mood for death by explosive spam.
Not all the time. Like you said, it all depends on the captain. I can easily sink a rank 6 Copperhead war galleon with a war sloop if the captain has no skill.

Just because your ship is tough doesn't mean it will win. Being able to maneuver easily is better than sheer firepower most of the time.

I didn't say that sheer firepower was everything. I said that if your right next to a rank 6 copperhead, it's going to blow you to the bottom of the ocean and back.
But I do agree with you, maneuvering is usually more important than firepower... at long range. I think that if you're going to get a Copperhead War Galleon, the trick would be getting close enough to use those explosives.

I didn't say that sheer firepower was everything. I said that if your right next to a rank 6 copperhead, it's going to blow you to the bottom of the ocean and back.
But I do agree with you, maneuvering is usually more important than firepower... at long range. I think that if you're going to get a Copperhead War Galleon, the trick would be getting close enough to use those explosives.
I never said you said sheer firepower was everything, I wasn't even replying to that post in the fourth sentence. Though I do agree, if a Copper war galleon were to engage you at close range, I'd suggest to not fight it unless you're skilled or have a CH of your own... I tried fighting one close range in a war sloop and it didn't work out well.

I like all of your different opinions because I'm learning stuff about some of these ships I didn't even know. xP

Personally, I think that the 'awesomeness' of each ship depends on what you want to use it for. I, for example, have a light sloop for quick trips to island that you can't lazily TP to. I honestly hate galleons because I lack patience for its sluggishness. I like to get somewhere quickly- that's why I use Frigates instead. They are strong and fast. Galleons hold more cargo, which is why a lot of people like them, but I personally don't mind using a Frigate an porting when necessary. I'm sure that many people can do great things with Galleons; but I, for one, get highly irritate by its speed- or lack thereof. I can't make a quick escape if I need to.

i think you guys are a little too negitave about the galleons, i think their pretty and i love the design but i think there good for people like me who only plunder for a short time. i loot all the time so i dont have time for plundering. i think there ok when there light galleon, or galleon but when it comes to a war galleon your way better off with a war brig, war frigate but if i ever can buy a war frigate it would be to show off, but personaly i would like a war galleon but there not great to show off... lol!! it depends on what your looking for!

I've sailed about every ship class in POTCO and I have fought all the ship classes in POTCO.

Against regular NPC ships ranging from Ferret to the rare Juggys, a light sloop can sink them with ease if you know what you are doing. So comparing ships which is best against regular NPC ships, each different ship class can do the job with ease if you know what you are doing.

Against hunters or warships, it gets a bit more difficult f you are alone. Against NPC ships... even hunters/warships, you can avoid getting hit by their broadsides by stop and go. In Galleons case however, especially if you are copperhead, its like basil said early in the thread Big moving targets because you will get hit most of the time. With 0 skill points on windcatcher, you sail at 8 knot and with full windcatcher, you go 10. Take off 1 if you are copperhead and you are like a turtle. In my opinion that's really bad because you will be getting hit like every time the other ship attacks.

NPC ships are just doing what the computer tells them to do so they aren't really thinking whats gonna happen. The real test in ships comes in SvS where people with a brain sail(well most of them :p ). My advice would be, unless you are just using as a big joke, keep it away from svs because you will be an easy target for another player who is aiming at you and a sailor who is gonna be circling you around before you start to move your ship.

I've sailed about every ship class in POTCO and I have fought all the ship classes in POTCO.

Against regular NPC ships ranging from Ferret to the rare Juggys, a light sloop can sink them with ease if you know what you are doing. So comparing ships which is best against regular NPC ships, each different ship class can do the job with ease if you know what you are doing.

Against hunters or warships, it gets a bit more difficult f you are alone. Against NPC ships... even hunters/warships, you can avoid getting hit by their broadsides by stop and go. In Galleons case however, especially if you are copperhead, its like basil said early in the thread Big moving targets because you will get hit most of the time. With 0 skill points on windcatcher, you sail at 8 knot and with full windcatcher, you go 10. Take off 1 if you are copperhead and you are like a turtle. In my opinion that's really bad because you will be getting hit like every time the other ship attacks.

NPC ships are just doing what the computer tells them to do so they aren't really thinking whats gonna happen. The real test in ships comes in SvS where people with a brain sail(well most of them :p ). My advice would be, unless you are just using as a big joke, keep it away from svs because you will be an easy target for another player who is aiming at you and a sailor who is gonna be circling you around before you start to move your ship.
yes light sloop can sink juggy but Way more slower than war ship class and if you face only one broadside on light sloop with no take cover you sink

All sloops are the same speed like all ships that belong in in the same classification have the same speed. You are confusing sail health with speed. Bigger ships have more sail hp but the same speed. When you buy a ship, there are two numbers under sails. The smaller number which goes from 8 to 10 is the speed as they represent how many knots a ship goes.

All sloops are the same speed like all ships that belong in in the same classification have the same speed. You are confusing sail health with speed. Bigger ships have more sail hp but the same speed. When you buy a ship, there are two numbers under sails. The smaller number which goes from 8 to 10 is the speed as they represent how many knots a ship goes.

Yes but they are not all ways that good are they all the time.

Back