In your opinion, what's the best ship class?

What's the best ship?

• Total voters

centrals

Sea Legs
So I recently got level 15 sailing and I'm ready to purchase a war ship. But I don't know which one to choose!

Statistically, at base, war brig. The brig was meant to be a balance of the three ships, however, it wound up being very close to each ship in their specification making it very good at generally everything. It has nearly as much cargo as a galleon, nearly as many broadsides as a frigate, and is as fast as a sloop. It's turning radius is even better than the Galleon and Frigate. There's always personal preference though.

Statistically, at base, war brig. The brig was meant to be a balance of the three ships, however, it wound up being very close to each ship in their specification making it very good at generally everything. It has nearly as much cargo as a galleon, nearly as many broadsides as a frigate, and is as fast as a sloop. It's turning radius is even better than the Galleon and Frigate. There's always personal preference though.

Brig actually has more broadside cannons than a frigate, but no front firing deck cannons. I do agree though. Although expensive, I've personally found the brig the most effective since it is so well rounded, having good cargo capacity, gun armament, armor, and speed/handling. Steering it is a dream compared to a Galleon lol.

Although each other class may be a bit better at a niche or two, I definitely enjoy the War Brig the most. It looks awesome too. ;)

Sloop has the smallest profile, but the lowest number of masts, which makes you a sitting duck should it be destroyed. Galleons have the best cargo capacity and broadside power, frigates have the strongest armor and highest number of deck guns, while the brig is the jack of all trades.

They all have their uses, some are best suited for looting while others are best suited for murdering everything in a hail of iron, fire, and magical rounds.

Frigate. I'll give a list of briefly described reasons why I think so. Keep in mind I'm using the term frigate in a generic sense, not referring to the merchant class ship.

1. It has the most potential.
- higher base armor means greater scaling from the % based upgrades
- there is almost no angle that can't be fired from. A frigate with a full (competent) crew is absolutely terrifying.

2. Having 1 less broadside round for each side, when compared to brigs, is largely negligible.

3. Having 1 less knot for a max speed doesn't affect its performance much, simply because the meta for this ship doesn't require speed.
- sailing a frigate, your goal is rarely to chase, or to run. It is to get deep into the fight, stay there, and be the last one floating. Which, needless to day, it does very...very well.

4. The undesirable turning radius can be minimized by putting points into tacking and/or using a sea chart for cooldown reduction on come about. I usually don't have a problem keeping my gunners within proper firing angles.

5. Cargo is a niche stat. And even in the realm of its only use, I still find myself getting more mats/hour with a skull & bones or copperhead war frigate.

6. There's just something about a frigate's design in this game that makes it hard to aim at. It's big of course, but I always find myself having to concentrate to plant a round in one's hull. Brigs are fat and easy to hit, just like galleons.

Frigate. I'll give a list of briefly described reasons why I think so. Keep in mind I'm using the term frigate in a generic sense, not referring to the merchant class ship.

- there is almost no angle that can't be fired from. A frigate with a full (competent) crew is absolutely terrifying.

2. Having 1 less broadside round for each side, when compared to brigs, is largely negligible.

3. Having 1 less knot for a max speed doesn't affect its performance much, simply because the meta for this ship doesn't require speed.
- sailing a frigate, your goal is rarely to chase, or to run. It is to get deep into the fight, stay there, and be the last one floating. Which, needless to day, it does very...very well.

4. The undesirable turning radius can be minimized by putting points into tacking and/or using a sea chart for cooldown reduction on come about. I usually don't have a problem keeping my gunners within proper firing angles.

5. Cargo is a niche stat. And even in the realm of its only use, I still find myself getting more mats/hour with a skull & bones or copperhead war frigate.

6. There's just something about a frigate's design in this game that makes it hard to aim at. It's big of course, but I always find myself having to concentrate to plant a round in one's hull. Brigs are fat and easy to hit, just like galleons.
I agree 1000% I chose my war frigate for my first ship for these exact reason. The only reason I bought a brig was to put stormchaser on it for the speed and broadside potential.

Reply from a War Frigate and War Brig fan;)

1. Agreed, Frigate armor potential is just awesome.

2. Brigs actually have 12 broadside cannons on each side, opposed to the Frigate's 10. The 11 per side is an Un-corrected mistake from POTCO days, in practice and in the ship menu (H) it has twelve per side. While more gunners are better, the additional broadside potential is nice imo. Also, the Brig has six deck cannons on each side, while the frigate has five facing directly to each side and two more towards the front of each side. So in direct side to side combat, if the front cannons can't hit the brig, the brig has a slight gun advantage on deck and below (until the frigates front guns can hit.)

3. Agreed (mostly), though I do think Frigates with Windcatcher can be good chasers since their front firing guns are unique and allow little escape from a Frigate even when retreating from one.

4. Agreed, though a Brig with the Tacking handles like a dream lol.

5. Agreed, though I think the Frigate and Brig are tied in this regard.

6. I'd agree to the Frigate's profile. The mid and front of the main hull (minus the raised forecastle) are quite low to the water, making it a bit easier to hit the surface of the ocean and waste shots. Though I'd argue that the Brig isn't quite as fat as the Galleon lol. The Galleon screams 'shoot me', whereas the Brig's isn't quite as large, is more maneuverable, and the rear of the ship is quite streamlined and narrow (less bonus rear shot bonus damage.)

In my opinion, I think the Brig and Frigate are almost tied since each has its own strengths over the other, though a fully crewed Frigate wins overall. Then there's the poor slow Galleon somewhere in the rear. :eek:

Last edited:
I definitely think the brig has its merits. I actually plan to work on one as my second ship. Fortune hunter is my first choice, just to build upon that jack of all trades theme. It'll be my cruise ship that's relaxing to sail. You know, for whenever I need a break from being a maniacal, hull ripping war captain. If only firebrand packed more punch...However, I don't think it is worth the 80k price tag, as well as the raised upgrade costs. That's mostly my only gripe with it. Also, I never knew the 22 broadsides was an error. That's pretty interesting. Though now that I think about it, I vaguely remember knowing that my war brig back on POTCO had the same number as the big ol' galleon. I just assumed I had always been wrong when seeing the '22' on TLOPO.

Last edited:
BRIG, remember, it is the jack of all trades, but master of none
People usually buy brigs because of how cool they are, not how good they are when sailing, that is the most foolish thing to do

-90-120 broadside angle, the reason for that weakness comes from the galleon, because the galleon has a really narrow broadside angle, 90-100 degree

-Armor: not enough to survive when stuck in a group of ships

-Cargo: has the galleon advantage

-Speed and turning: better than frigate, helps weak armor

Overall : Frigate are best to use

What ships are the best? In Svs, no doubt the War Sloop, probably bones - For mat runs, the War Brig or War Frigate would be, fortune hunter is the best route in most cases.

BUT MY PERSONAL CHOICE IS-
SvS, a mid-class frigate, copperhead.
- Mat runs, War Galleon, Fortune hunter. (I know I'm weird)

What ships are the best? In Svs, no doubt the War Sloop, probably bones - For mat runs, the War Brig or War Frigate would be, fortune hunter is the best route in most cases.

BUT MY PERSONAL CHOICE IS-
SvS, a mid-class frigate, copperhead.
- Mat runs, War Galleon, Fortune hunter. (I know I'm weird)
Mid class Frigate? Why that over a War Frigate?

Back