Votes: 7 12.7%
  • I Don't Care

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Mixed

Votes: 13 23.6%

• Total voters

Simon Daggerhawk

Wanted Pirate
I got Staff probably a week ago now, and I leveled it to about level 17.

So far the only good attack is wither, every other attack either does too little damage or takes way too long to charge for my liking.

I could just not be far enough in or not be doing the right upgrades, but Staff seems pretty useless to me compared to doll (granted that I almost maxed it out already).

So let me know your opinions. I could just be an idiot.

Wither and Flaming Skull are really the only two Staff attacks worth using (imo). Soul Flay and Pestilence are just a bit too weak while Banish and Desolation are brutally slow (though Desolation looks awesome.) Even the Spirit Lore (faster casting) upgrade only helps so much. Thankfully Wither and Flaming Skull are pretty useful in my experience.

Maybe sometime in the future we'll see a slight re-evaluation of the casting time vs damage output for the Voodoo Staff so all of the hexes are useful in combat (instead of as an opener) compared to other attacks and tools.

I think the Staff is (just barely) worth it for Wither and Flaming Skull, which are both useful and powerful in my opinion. Plus the Staff and it's hexes look really cool.

Wither and Flaming Skull are really the only two Staff attacks worth using (imo). Soul Flay and Pestilence are just a bit too weak while Banish and Desolation are brutally slow (though Desolation looks awesome.) Even the Spirit Lore (faster casting) upgrade only helps so much. Thankfully Wither and Flaming Skull are pretty useful in my experience.

Maybe sometime in the future we'll see a slight re-evaluation of the casting time vs damage output for the Voodoo Staff so all of the hexes are useful in combat (instead of as an opener) compared to other attacks and tools.

I think the Staff is (just barely) worth it for Wither and Flaming Skull, which are both useful and powerful in my opinion. Plus the Staff and it's hexes look really cool.

I agree that wither and flame skull are useful. All others are too situational, due to little damage or extremely long charge times. It's also cumbersome how you can't move while charging. Many other weapons in my opinion do better damage and have better effects.

It does look cool though.

Staff isn't about how useful it is, it's about how awesome it is.

Edit: huh, it replaced a word with awesome. I'll still take it.

If a weapon is bad at its job (doing [better] damage), why use it? The staff has only a few good attacks that can do a lot of damage if leveled highly enough. Through my experience, although, it takes WAY too long to get rep when using staff (maybe I'm just using it wrong, whatever).

So why would I want to use this weapon if it's torture to even get it good?

If a weapon is bad at its job (doing [better] damage), why use it? The staff has only a few good attacks that can do a lot of damage if leveled highly enough. Through my experience, although, it takes WAY too long to get rep when using staff (maybe I'm just using it wrong, whatever).

So why would I want to use this weapon if it's torture to even get it good?

Because the payoff can be worth it.

Though it doesn't yet apply to TLOPO, it's great for massive battles. Remember invasions? Staff was godly there. There's only so many enemies your broadsword or grenades could hit, whereas the staff has a massive area of effect.

The other most like circumstance is flagship boarding, but since they all spawn literally on top of each other grenades is a better option. But if they're spread out like they should be (or they become after people attack them), staff is king.

Plus staff is just cooler than anything else.

Though it doesn't yet apply to TLOPO, it's great for massive battles. Remember invasions? Staff was godly there. There's only so many enemies your broadsword or grenades could hit, whereas the staff has a massive area of effect.

The other most like circumstance is flagship boarding, but since they all spawn literally on top of each other grenades is a better option. But if they're spread out like they should be (or they become after people attack them), staff is king.

I'm still gonna eventually try to lvl up staff, but right now it's quite underwhelming.

Staff always took forever to level in POTCO too, you just get less rep for it than anything else. Likely because it's the last weapon, they probably wanted more of a grind out of it.

I do know what you mean though. Outside invasions they really just aren't as useful as other weapons.

Thinking about invasions, yes Staff seems perfect. But I also agree with Marcus, right now, it's not very viable.

Grenade and staff are very similar, both are good for hitting multiple targets, but I think grenade is a better choice because they are ranged and are easier to use (don't require voodoo)

In my opinion, it is excellent in it's own ways. For instance if the gold rooms full, thrall rooms full, just about everywhere else is full, and you want to loot the bridge, staff or specifically the skull attack is great for it. But you could just as easily use a repeater and have them dead in the same amount of time. I only use nades, gun, dagger, and sword at this point just because I am lazy and don't want to switch my inventory around. That setup lets me loot wherever i want with the same inventory. So you don't really need it, but it's cool if you want to see some pretty colors. (End Rant)

I got Staff probably a week ago now, and I leveled it to about level 17.

So far the only good attack is wither, every other attack either does too little damage or takes way too long to charge for my liking.

I could just not be far enough in or not be doing the right upgrades, but Staff seems pretty useless to me compared to doll (granted that I almost maxed it out already).

So let me know your opinions. I could just be an idiot.
I take It you have Never mastered a Staff as of yet ? Flaming Skull comes In handy for line foes with massive XP ! Also If there's ever an Invasion ! I staff Mastered on 2 of my Pirates so far ! Not much use after the mastery except taking Flag ships and Invasions ! ARRRrrrr ! :)

Its only worth it to spam/camp South Idol or level it for the HP and maybe for Fireskull if you don't want to use a broadsword to aoe kill but if you got a famed or legendary broadsword theres no point to using staff at all.

Back