Votes: 34 61.8%
  • No

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • I Don't Care

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Mixed

Votes: 13 23.6%

• Total voters
Staff to me is a fun weapon to use because of its flare. Flaming Skull and Wither are out right the most useful skills.

Blast, Soul Fray, and Pestilence do too little damage, Banish is too situational, long charge time and large voodoo cost make it pointless and Desolation's massive casting time, large voodoo cost and more importantly its health cost make it too risky and underwhelming to use.

I'm hoping once TLOPO has its proper release the Dev's can look into tweaking the skills to make them more relevant.

If there was a legendary staff that had like a ridiculous boost to Spirit Lore, by like +5 then it'd be worth using in battle as DPS, since currently its so impossibly slow most other weapons out damage it.

To be fair, keep in mind that wither applies a damage debuff to enemies, and flaming skull gives damage over time. Also, flaming skull is one of the longest range attacks in game.

I take It you have Never mastered a Staff as of yet ? Flaming Skull comes In handy for line foes with massive XP ! Also If there's ever an Invasion ! I staff Mastered on 2 of my Pirates so far ! Not much use after the mastery except taking Flag ships and Invasions ! ARRRrrrr ! :)

Probably once I master staff it will be better. And definitely when invasions are released.

My combat style is pretty flexible... What I've found is that each weapon has a use under different circumstances. I use them all and switch things up a lot. I enjoy each style and as I occasionally role play.. Each variation also lends itself to... am I a swashbuckler type? Charge into the fray regardless of the odds type? Engineer blow it all up type? and don't forget the staff fireball type! I've noticed that in it's own way... each weapon style lends itself to traditional D&D style table top classes. Rogue (knives, back stab bonuses) Wizard (staff), Warrior (broadsword) Gnome, engineer, etc (grenades) and so on... I rather like it! :)

Remember also! There are certain perks that you can choose in each weapon category where, even if you do not like the weapon, it is worth leveling it to receive the perks... like enhanced regeneration, more damage to your cannon balls from your ship in combat, more voodoo (mana) and things like that! To me, the ultimate goal is leveling each weapon, even if you don't plan on using it, makes sense even if it is for the perks alone :)

Last edited:
The staff, while not the best weapon, is quite potent. My favorite is Flaming Skull.

Grenades have a higher DPU (Damage Per Use), fire off more quickly, and, if you're using the generic explosive, is free. No cost to voodoo, health (unless you're too close to the blast), or ammo.

I find staff very hard to level.

I do too, but then again, I had a pretty terrible skill point spread when it came to training, but I got through. The "bridge" area in Tormenta (north of the gold room) provides a decent area to grind reputation points if you use flaming skull. The Marching Grounds of Kingshead are also quite good for whither.

Its only worth it to spam/camp South Idol or level it for the HP and maybe for Fireskull if you don't want to use a broadsword to aoe kill but if you got a famed or legendary broadsword theres no point to using staff at all.
In situations like the bridge at Tormenta, staff is probably the best way to go. Flaming Skull hits all 4 enemies at once at a range, meaning that those pesky Brinescums who don't move when you attack them (making broadsword inconvenient to use on them - multiple brinescums not near each other means one isn't getting hit) still get hit. That's a rare situation - when you've got 2 or more voodoo based enemies lined up in a row.

So yeah, staff usually isn't a great weapon choice and most of its abilities are surpassed by grenades.

In situations like the bridge at Tormenta, staff is probably the best way to go. Flaming Skull hits all 4 enemies at once at a range, meaning that those pesky Brinescums who don't move when you attack them (making broadsword inconvenient to use on them - multiple brinescums not near each other means one isn't getting hit) still get hit. That's a rare situation - when you've got 2 or more voodoo based enemies lined up in a row.

So yeah, staff usually isn't a great weapon choice and most of its abilities are surpassed by grenades.

Regardless of how many voodoo based enemies are there, it's still 4 enemies (levels 33 to 40) in a line that you can hit at a time using flaming skull. Not even Dragoons or Assassins get that high, and taking on assassins with the staff now is riskier since interruption is now in place.

For me personally, I usually only master staff to have a higher HP pool and for invasions (in original POTCO)

Regardless of how many voodoo based enemies are there, it's still 4 enemies (levels 33 to 40) in a line that you can hit at a time using flaming skull. Not even Dragoons or Assassins get that high, and taking on assassins with the staff now is riskier since interruption is now in place.
Well, if there are no voodoo based enemies, then broadsword is arguably a better choice anyway.

I find staff very hard to level.
The Biggest Mistake Is Over Killing your Foes , If You tend to Use ALL of your Skills point on every weapon you just took rep away on Damaging Skills ! I had like 9 or 10 skill points left after mastering Staff , Also I only use skill points that benefit me and don't over kill the foes !
P.S> I just got my Grenades on my L21 and I Retrained them since they add 3 to Damage , I now have One on there and have Grenades at L9 In about 3 hrs maybe !

The Biggest Mistake Is Over Killing your Foes , If You tend to Use ALL of your Skills point on every weapon you just took rep away on Damaging Skills ! I had like 9 or 10 skill points left after mastering Staff , Also I only use skill points that benefit me and don't over kill the foes !
P.S> I just got my Grenades on my L21 and I Retrained them since they add 3 to Damage , I now have One on there and have Grenades at L9 In about 3 hrs maybe !
I'm just not that type of person. I believe the faster the kill the better the loot and that's exactly what I do.

I'm just not that type of person. I believe the faster the kill the better the loot and that's exactly what I do.

Blaster isn't talking about loot, but grinding levels out of your weapons, and he's right. You don't want a lot of damage while you're training as rep is determined by number of hits, not damage. The same enemy at the same level can give substantially different amounts of rep based solely on how much damage per hit you're dealing. It can be the difference between 30 rep from a level 35 assassin and 5. Now that I've mastered everything and only have notoriety to work on, my skills, except for sailing, are tuned specifically for damage. 5 on shoot, take aim, silver and steel shot makes short work of any enemy, even bosses. With my sword, all points are in combos, bladestorm, and endurance.

The thing is, I don't care about how cool it looks, or how it has flare or such. I want it to be a useful weapon that I can use and think, "Yeah, this is good. I can do lots of stuff with this!" But right now, I don't feel that.

Blaster isn't talking about loot, but grinding levels out of your weapons, and he's right. You don't want a lot of damage while you're training as rep is determined by number of hits, not damage. The same enemy at the same level can give substantially different amounts of rep based solely on how much damage per hit you're dealing. It can be the difference between 30 rep from a level 35 assassin and 5. Now that I've mastered everything and only have notoriety to work on, my skills, except for sailing, are tuned specifically for damage. 5 on shoot, take aim, silver and steel shot makes short work of any enemy, even bosses. With my sword, all points are in combos, bladestorm, and endurance.
I'm aware of that.

Back