Minecraft

Gastro

Notorious Pirate
Sorry if there's already a thread for this. Was too lazy to see if there was. :cool:

Anybody play? I do. Classic or Beta? I have Beta Version 1.8.1...what about you?

Recently, I got in a fight with an Enderman and... (shocker since I had Diamond armor) died. Luckily, there was absolutely nothing in my inventory because I stored it all in my chest in case anything like that happened. Well, my hotbar got totally annihilated, though. Meh, I kept wooden tools there because they're my mediocre tools. So, not a bad loss. See how smart ye can be?

Never played it. How did it get so popular?

Two things come to mind:
  1. It is so simple its fun. Yet complicated enough to play for hours.
  2. They allowed people to buy and play during development and allowed people to release information. (YouTube Videos)
That may not seem like contributing factors, but the popularity of this game is solid evidence.

Aye, that's how Notch made it, but believe me, the gameplay is better than it looks. Best part is, once you buy it, you don't have to pay again.

Never played it. How did it get so popular?

It's the magic word called 'playability' (read: the potential of being played over and over again, unlimited possibility). For example, some games have a main story line, and a lot of side stories. Once a gamer finishes the main story line, he/she will get the sense of accomplishment, if not the actual game notation: "completed". Then he/she is done; game has been defeated. Of course they can replay it, taking a different route to finish/complete the story, or just play it for fun using side stories (such as Assassin's Creed), or play an online multiplayer/rpg (such as Red Dead Redemption), but basically they don't pursue the main goal of the game anymore.

Minecraft is free from having to complete a main goal, except the goal that players set themselves. It gives a total freedom to do whatever they want, to build whatever they want, for whatever purpose they want, and the game just provides the tool for players' imaginations to go wild (for anything build-able).

I used to think that graphics quality had something to do with how I would enjoy the game. But Minecraft has proven it wrong. It depends on the type of the game; for Minecraft, we just accept that 'blocks' are the media represented for the game. The argument about graphics is really irrelevant here. If somebody is looking for high-resolution graphics, then play other RPG games, and compare them to each other. Minecraft has its own category. Fyi, in Minecraft, we can manipulate how 'natural' each block is to represent each material (leaf, wood, glass, gold, iron, gravel, flowers, etc.), if we know how to manipulate graphics. ;)

Back